Den is the menace: Millwall (a), 3pm Sat 24 Nov 2018

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Den is the menace: Millwall (a), 3pm Sat 24 Nov 2018

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Parky presser, per Twitter.
We've had a good couple of weeks in training since our last outing, but we need to treat this next batch of fixtures as a fresh start.

Sometimes, the relentlessness of the division can leave you unable to see the wood for the trees, but everybody has returned from a few days off refreshed and ready for the challenges ahead.

I've been to Millwall many times as a player and a manager, and you know what to expect from a team of their stature. They'll be very physical and we have to be equipped to deal with their threats.

We have got one eye on January, of course, but there is still a lot to come from the players who arrived in the summer.

We've got to add to the qualities we've shown in recent weeks, as our performances have certainly warranted more than we have yielded points wise.

Stephen Ireland and Gary O'Neil are making good progress. Gary is close to a return, whereas we're working hard with Stephen to get him ready and raring to go.

We've changed the system we play in on a few occasions and although the formula is important, sometimes it's just a little bit of luck that you need to kick start your form, particularly in front of goal.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Den is the menace: Millwall (a), 3pm Sat 24 Nov 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Love the headline D.S.b. Clever. I was still pondering old mill walls and dirty old towns.. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Really like the headline AND the fact that PP has acknowledged that Ireland is still alive. Hopefully we'll see him by the time Wigan come to town.

Other than that, not sure what else to say. Maybe we'll nick a draw?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Won't be going to this. I've never liked Millwall (I'm quite sure they're happy about that) and can't be bothered increasing their coffers.
We don't exactly need to win, and I'm sure we won't, but the approach we take to actually playing football will be crucial to how I view the rest of the season.

(Alabama, Arkansas... )
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:15 pm

I was planning to go with The Legendary Flanners - we need to attend more matches together, that'll kickstart the season - but circumstances are conspiring. Hopefully I'll make it to that nasty little corner of town, and hopefully back out again.

Pleasingly, I now seem to be able to log in to TW on the phone again, so I may even be able to bob out a halftime report. I'll start pre-populating it now with phrases like "no fixed style", "lack of penetration", "disappointing time to concede" and "the look of a defeated man".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:15 pm
I was planning to go with The Legendary Flanners - we need to attend more matches together, that'll kickstart the season - but circumstances are conspiring. Hopefully I'll make it to that nasty little corner of town, and hopefully back out again.

Pleasingly, I now seem to be able to log in to TW on the phone again, so I may even be able to bob out a halftime report. I'll start pre-populating it now with phrases like "no fixed style", "lack of penetration", "disappointing time to concede" and "the look of a defeated man".
In anticipation I'd suggest these instead: "what the fxck was that?", "Why?", "try passing the fxcker, not hoofing it", "Jesus Christ!".
Otherwise good luck and I wish you a wonderful time.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Ta, LLS.

More from Parky, this time per BN:
Gaz [O'Neil] is a good player, he’s got footballing intelligence, and he’s great to have around the place. He understands the game and his training standards are good. It’s so important that the younger ones see that. Sometimes you miss a player just as much on the training ground as you do on a Saturday at 3pm, such is his influence on the training ground.
(Iles: "Stephen Ireland has also returned to full training after a calf problem but will be given another week before a decision is taken on whether to pitch him into the squad for the Wigan Athletic game.")

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Was there last year for the first time. I'm hoping to keep my unbeaten run going this Saturday. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment but then I usually am until about 5 minutes after kick off
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 pm

I. of course, predict a 3-0 win for us, but that may not quite be the popular choice. What sayest thou good citizens ?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm

3-0 to Millwall

They are a decent attacking side this season and they create loads of chances....we will help them by sitting back & inviting them on as per usual....groundhog day under Parkinson....usual suspects will come on here and say that Millwall have a far better side than us and that our level is Accrington etc and that we have to put up with it because its where we are....we should expect to lose every game & not score a goal & anyone that complains or moans is not a proper fan.

To be honest I don't think that many fans give a toss at the moment, they are so turned off with KA & Parkinshite...Ireland has probably trained for longer than most players do in an average pre season, but he's still not ready for Parkinson....win or lose I'm really starting to despise Parkinson.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:38 pm

As crazy as this sounds, I think we’ll score.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:21 pm

I shall be putting in my annual appearance. My enthusiasm will be low; my optimism even lower. I wonder if Enoch will buy me a pint.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm sure if you give Bruce a call he'll be well up for it :lol:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:38 pm
I'm sure if you give Bruce a call he'll be well up for it :lol:
I've got a spare ticket for him in among the Millwall faithful if he would like to renew his acquaintance.

...and I resent the implication I've ever been shy around the servery, Domingos!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:03 am

I treated myself to the highly charged atmosphere of Millwall v Leeds earlier in the season, an experience not to be missed by any footy fan that likes electricity in the air. Parkinson's line "They'll be very physical " wasn't the case on that occasion. For my money Millwall played good football and deserved a win. Only a hopeful 25 yard shot at the death rescued a point for what at the time were the league leaders.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:12 am

We'll win 4-1.

We'll all think it's great and we'll lose on Tuesday.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:18 pm

The BWFC twitter's been digging out goals vs Millwall and it's been a right parade of names. It's like going back through time, or perhaps that bit before you die and think "Christ, that was shit". Here they are, in reverse-chrono order before the internet runs out (last game before this was 1995):

Fil Morais
Tom Thorpe
Josh Vela
David Wheater
Sammy Ameobi
Adam le Fondre (2)
Darren Pratley
Lukas Jutkiewicz
Andre Moritz
Jermaine Beckford
Rob Hall
Keith Andrews (p)
Chris Eagles
David N'Gog
Ryo Miyaichi

Who'll add his name tomorrow?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:18 pm
Who'll add his name tomorrow?
...and if anyone does will Domingos get out alive!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Reading between a few lines in B.N etc, it would seem that Phil is laying the problems squarely at the dressing room door. He's almost issuing ultimatums re contract renewal etc already, which seems a bit out of order in some cases where some players can't get a start of even a sub role. Sitting on a sub or squad bench, or even in the stands, is hardly a reason for can carrying and nor is waiting to be ousted when the proposed superstars are fit and ready. ? Sammi's back but Little and Ireland are up the barrels for firing off pretty soon. We haven't had a settled team for Lord knows when and that can't be good for confidence. Could it be a cause for previous good form players like Vela and Okolwsky (sp?) to go off the boil? Wildschutt too has hardly had much of a vote of confidence.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 pm
Reading between a few lines in B.N etc, it would seem that Phil is laying the problems squarely at the dressing room door. He's almost issuing ultimatums re contract renewal etc already, which seems a bit out of order in some cases where some players can't get a start of even a sub role. Sitting on a sub or squad bench, or even in the stands, is hardly a reason for can carrying and nor is waiting to be ousted when the proposed superstars are fit and ready. ? Sammi's back but Little and Ireland are up the barrels for firing off pretty soon. We haven't had a settled team for Lord knows when and that can't be good for confidence. Could it be a cause for previous good form players like Vela and Okolwsky (sp?) to go off the boil? Wildschutt too has hardly had much of a vote of confidence.

I don't think it's anything more than a standard motivational tactic. I'm pretty sure Allardyce used it.