The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by taddyontoast » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:12 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Labour could do worse than tempt Ed back and have a Stalinist purge of Momentum (oh the irony) & nail their flag to a remain/leave with a deal ticket
yeah - but nobody can be PM unless they are bacon-sandwich confident (apparently!)

as for "stalinist purges" (though I suspect that language is a bit hyperbolic in this case!) - I think that's Boris you're talking about! 8)
Think you'd be better asking Winker Watson about purges.

Has he been purged? :conf:

You're pitting a bloke who has not been purged against 21 MPs who have been purged?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:12 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Labour could do worse than tempt Ed back and have a Stalinist purge of Momentum (oh the irony) & nail their flag to a remain/leave with a deal ticket
yeah - but nobody can be PM unless they are bacon-sandwich confident (apparently!)

as for "stalinist purges" (though I suspect that language is a bit hyperbolic in this case!) - I think that's Boris you're talking about! 8)
Think you'd be better asking Winker Watson about purges.

Has he been purged? :conf:

You're pitting a bloke who has not been purged against 21 MPs who have been purged?
He survived, just, now that was a proper purge attempt not whip withdrawing. And it's far from over in the labour party, that was the start.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:51 am

Who's black cat is blacker than who's black cat!

Though in truth it's more apples and orangutans.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:52 am

Loooool. Supreme Court banter era. Govt lose 11-0.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:52 am
So, what happens now? Are they all back in this avvo?

Have to say, I fully expected them to bottle it, but 11-0? Wow. I don't think I've ever been quite so wrong.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:56 am
Prufrock wrote:

Have to say, I fully expected them to bottle it, but 11-0? Wow. I don't think I've ever been quite so wrong.
All back in as soon as according to the speaker.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:00 am

"Legal profession vote for litigation"

It's hardly come as a shock.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 am

Really have had enough of all this Brexit bollocks.

We're going to have 3-4 more weeks of nothing as no one will make a decision, even if they do it'll be back in front of the court.

This decision has so many ramifications for future politics. How many more decisions from the government are going to be put in front of the supreme court by those that can afford it?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:19 am

So there we have it, the judiciary has declared war on the the people by supporting some parliamentarians who are refusing to let the people have a democratic, free, election. The legal system has clearly overstepped it's mark and moved into the realms of not just being responsible for upholding law made and passed by parliament but into the field of dictating how said parliament works. they have done no favours to the legal profession in which fewer and fewer people believe delivers justice, it's a slippery slope from here on in.
I wish I had the money to go and challenge the opposition for defying the prerogative of agreeing to an election, not delaying for spurious reasons, a real coup, the voice of the people to be heard. An election that would put to bed once and for all the personal views of so called elected representatives.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am

:lol: first of many part time constitutional lawyers on the internet today.

Ps. There is no prerogative power to call an election anymore.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:57 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Tory conference next week isn't it? Probs a reccess for that, if they rustle up a majority

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am

Will Boris be off to the European Court of Justice then? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am

Ok smarty pants, I don't pretend to be a stupid tw*t who plays simple games making up gibberish script dressed up as learned, nor do I waste days deciding a full fcuking stop is in the wrong place, I actually have a life. So precedent is the word, ok corrected, now lets move on to the real point, the judiciary are there to uphold the law as made by Parliament, not tell parliament how it is run, power well over abused. Remainers, hell parliamentarians to boot have had over hundreds of years the power to dictate prorogation, but have chosen not to do so, why because a small group of wealthy vote losers want to change things, do the court feel they have a power, not given to them, to intervene?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am
What happened to the much lauded sovereignty of our courts and parliament?!

The fall out from this will be fascinating.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:54 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:57 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Tory conference next week isn't it? Probs a reccess for that, if they rustle up a majority
A recess from sitting but parliament is still in operation during a recess.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:57 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am
Prufrock wrote:

Ok smarty pants, I don't pretend to be a stupid tw*t who plays simple games making up gibberish script dressed up as learned, nor do I waste days deciding a full fcuking stop is in the wrong place, I actually have a life. So precedent is the word, ok corrected, now lets move on to the real point, the judiciary are there to uphold the law as made by Parliament, not tell parliament how it is run, power well over abused. Remainers, hell parliamentarians to boot have had over hundreds of years the power to dictate prorogation, but have chosen not to do so, why because a small group of wealthy vote losers want to change things, do the court feel they have a power, not given to them, to intervene?
No one expects you to be an expert on constitutional law. Just don't pretend to be. The rest of what you have written is gibberish (not I don't agree with it, I don't know what it means.). Thankfully we do have experts on constitutional law and 11 of them have unanimously agreed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:57 am

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am
What happened to the much lauded sovereignty of our courts and parliament?!

The fall out from this will be fascinating.
I think all the above died off the day a group of hardliners posing as democratic people representatives decided that peoples votes only count when the go in their favour, funny how they duck a GE because they believe the vote will also not be in their favour.

These people are worse than anything Stalin ever did to democracy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Para 1 of the judgement (which I'm sure you've read): "it is important to emphasise that the issue on these appeals is not when and in what terms the UK is to leave the European Union".

And, I'm far from a fan of Corbyn but the idea he is blocking an election is clearly disingenuous. It's all he wants. It's not unreasonable to refuse to agree until there's an extension to prevent no deal. It's the govt wanting to change the status quo. They don't have a majority, do would protect the status quo until they can get one. If they win the election (democracy, yay) they can push through their agenda.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:57 am
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:50 am
Prufrock wrote:

No one expects you to be an expert on constitutional law. Just don't pretend to be. The rest of what you have written is gibberish (not I don't agree with it, I don't know what it means.). Thankfully we do have experts on constitutional law and 11 of them have unanimously agreed.
For someone in the legal business you really are a simpleton, nor am I pretending anything. that simple enough?

Please tell me when it is normal for the opposition, at any point to run from a general election, simple enough?

Legal system is there to enforce and uphold laws passed by parliament. simple enough?

Parliament has for centuries decided upon the way it runs and legislates, simple enough?

So why does a court feel it has the power and right to intervene in something parliament clearly had the power at any time to change but chose not to, simple enough?

If you don't find that simple enough, find another job!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 pm
Para 1 of the judgement (which I'm sure you've read): "it is important to emphasise that the issue on these appeals is not when and in what terms the UK is to leave the European Union".

And, I'm far from a fan of Corbyn but the idea he is blocking an election is clearly disingenuous. It's all he wants. It's not unreasonable to refuse to agree until there's an extension to prevent no deal. It's the govt wanting to change the status quo. They don't have a majority, do would protect the status quo until they can get one. If they win the election (democracy, yay) they can push through their agenda.
So when did a leader of the opposition ever refuse the offer of an election, an election he is still calling for, same with Swineherd?