Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Chicksen was very poor and I've read that Bradford fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Does make me wonder if we'd have been better just going with youth at LB rather than signing him? And then filling one or two other positions instead.
I really don't get this 'downer' on Chicksen. From what I've seen of him he strikes me as being perfectly adequate. :?
It's Bolton. There has to be a downer on someone to make the others look not so bad.. :wink:
Absolutely, Tango. I still remember, with with no shortage of perplexity, that there were people on this very forum who considered Gretar Steinsson to be a waste of space. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 pm

To be fair to Jugs, that quote was from just after he'd been in a defence that shipped six. (Chicksen, not Jugs; unless Jugs really is a Wanderer.) Even so - I've only seen him in that one game, at Rotherham, and I was actually surprised by how good he was for an unwanted freebie. The two-footed thing helps, if you're actually passing the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Both fullbacks to me look like being very good in possession/attack in different ways. Emmanuel with his driving runs and Chicksen on the ball with his passing and movement.

Both look shaky defensively to me so far, but in fairness both wingers are not really up to speed when not on the ball so neither are brilliantly protected.

But both fullbacks seem like when fit they could be a handful when we're on the ball.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:14 pm
Both fullbacks to me look like being very good in possession/attack in different ways. Emmanuel with his driving runs and Chicksen on the ball with his passing and movement.

Both look shaky defensively to me so far, but in fairness both wingers are not really up to speed when not on the ball so neither are brilliantly protected.

But both fullbacks seem like when fit they could be a handful when we're on the ball.
Yeah I'd say that's fair from Rotherham. What's notable (and pleasing) is that since then we've only conceded one in three hours, and that was a penalty.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 pm
To be fair to Jugs, that quote was from just after he'd been in a defence that shipped six. (Chicksen, not Jugs; unless Jugs really is a Wanderer.) Even so - I've only seen him in that one game, at Rotherham, and I was actually surprised by how good he was for an unwanted freebie. The two-footed thing helps, if you're actually passing the ball.
Not singling Jugs out per-se, DSB, it's just that I've heard and read a few people's dissatisfaction with Chicksen. I wasn't at the Rotherham game but even if he did have the proverbial stinker, I'd still be loath to criticise a player who was very much thrown in at the deep end.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Chicksen was very poor and I've read that Bradford fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Does make me wonder if we'd have been better just going with youth at LB rather than signing him? And then filling one or two other positions instead.
I really don't get this 'downer' on Chicksen. From what I've seen of him he strikes me as being perfectly adequate. :?
It's Bolton. There has to be a downer on someone to make the others look not so bad.. :wink:
Absolutely, Tango. I still remember, with with no shortage of perplexity, that there were people on this very forum who considered Gretar Steinsson to be a waste of space. :conf:
And Kev Davies naught but a carthorse....Oh for that cart horse right now... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:28 pm
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 pm
Not singling Jugs out per-se, DSB, it's just that I've heard and read a few people's dissatisfaction with Chicksen. I wasn't at the Rotherham game but even if he did have the proverbial stinker, I'd still be loath to criticise a player who was very much thrown in at the deep end.
Amen to that. We need as much positivity as possible. With minus points, a scratch side, an opening relegation trapdoor and a #nofilter manager, things could get ugly quite quickly. But if we're all in it together, we can enjoy the ride.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Yeah I'd say that's fair from Rotherham. What's notable (and pleasing) is that since then we've only conceded one in three hours, and that was a penalty.
I mean we look shaky down the flanks at times. Fitness will help and understanding.

But both look useful to me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:42 pm

I missed Rotherham but I've been really impressed with Chicksen in the last two games. I wouldn't pay too much attention to Bradford fans. Don't forget that this is a group of folk who scoffed when we picked up Morais on a free and who celebrated the arrival of Donaldson!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Chicksen kept giving their right-back acres of space on Saturday

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm
Chicksen or our winger?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Chicksen or our winger?
You'd have to get a dig in at a right winger.

(Sorry couldn't help it, was a joke :wink: )

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
Chicksen or our winger?

I know :D

Only thing is, Chicksen is a left back.... :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
Chicksen or our winger?

0-1 :lol:

I'll be totally honest in saying not sure who is who yet,hence no criticism, just watching results.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
Chicksen or our winger?

0-1 :lol:

I'll be totally honest in saying not sure who is who yet,hence no criticism, just watching results.
Not criticising Chicksen - was just observing the critique he left the opposition full back space - but I was merely asking if that is a product of a system and wingers who currently aren't very good off the ball.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:12 pm

I meant right-winger rather than right-back - may have been McGeady in which case you'd expect it

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm
...and relaying them on the FV thread, which I for one am finding invaluable :D

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am

It sounds like Jake Wright is out of the pompey game, but even with a threadbare squad Keith Hill still doesn't fill the 2 remaining slots, no fit strikers and only 3 fit experienced defenders and he's made a few recent non complementary comments about our young players (that he will need to use at the weekend) - its a bit baffling to me.

Surely bringing in a couple of players is now quite urgent, unless Hill's completely given up even trying to stay up ? - they could even just be temporary until Jan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:49 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 am
It sounds like Jake Wright is out of the pompey game, but even with a threadbare squad Keith Hill still doesn't fill the 2 remaining slots, no fit strikers and only 3 fit experienced defenders and he's made a few recent non complementary comments about our young players (that he will need to use at the weekend) - its a bit baffling to me.

Surely bringing in a couple of players is now quite urgent, unless Hill's completely given up even trying to stay up ? - they could even just be temporary until Jan.
Do you bring someone in who isn't up to speed and hope they can muddle through? The problem is that players won't want to sign till January in some cases and then risk being without a club. The other problem is actually agreeing a financial package with players.

Suspect Hill would jump at two more bodies if he could get ones he wanted. I think therein lies the problem.

I do think though a defender is now more of a case than a striker. Strikers are expensive and generally unlikely to find a good one on a free. But I do think there is a problem going into games without two experienced centre backs.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 am

I's a two sided coin. We're not exactly the land of milk and honey as a fairground attraction right now, more a free ticket to the big dipper (Remember the Bobs at Belle Vue?) In the true nature of ambition, even the most mundane of players always seek the Grail road to glory. A striker will never admit they are what they are and will always be waiting for the purple-patch, the grand opportunity,the golden goose to land. I can well see Hill's dilemma when he already has strikers that only injury are keeping out and none want to sign up for what they must see as a future-less opportunity this season, with relegation a distinct possibility. Hill must be as frustrated as we are. Who wants goldfish and coconuts when Rolex watches and Daimlers are in view? Patience and hope are all we have and compared to a couple of months ago our grass is pretty green. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?