I wish I'd never left Bolton...v Blackpool H. 8-0 clock 7-10-19.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: I wish I'd never left Bolton...v Blackpool H. 8-0 clock 7-10-19.

Post by twilight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 am

enjoyed the game last night and noticing just how much fitter they are looking with each passing game. I think Blackpool will be challenging for promotion this season, they are an organised side, but I'm really loving how our style has changed and now look forward to each matchday and I'm not really looking at how many points we need, just enjoying the matches :) PS Is our ground built on a religious burial ground? How unlucky are we with injuries!! :(

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:51 am

Someone needs to go and have a piss in the corners.

I suppose some injuries were inevitable - the lad from Sheff u for example had barely played in two years so twice a week football and a hamstring was predictable! The gutting thing is this team we’ve patched together seemingly wont all be fit at the same time to play together.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:51 am

On reflection we played well but did only create one real chance - Murphy in the first half. Rest was lots of effort but very little real goalmouth action.

I agree with Hill that our attacking sharpness and final ball isn't quite there yet.

I thought Politic looks like he's run his race for a while. Lad looked tired and offered very little. The Stoke winger is typical for a young bloke playing his first football, lots of skill but end product pretty non existent. I suspect that is an area to look at - we might need to consider Dodoo in for one of those lads because neither are really producing the quality we need in and around the box and I thought Dodoo looked rusty but also offered something a bit different.

Murphy will need time but hopefully O Grady is back for Rochdale to share some of that burden.

With Bridcutt and Buckley both out now till at least December I'd be thinking about another midfield player if we can find one. O'Neil hasn't signed anywhere - surely worth a deal till January? I do like Sonny Graham and I guess we have the other Murphy who can play there too - where were he and Weir last night btw anyone know if they are also injured?

But I feel that Gary O'Neil would add something in midfield now - I guess though he may be considered too far off the pace fitness wise.

I don't share the huge positivity about our centre backs - they kept a clean sheet but for me more by good luck than judgement. They were at times in the ground somewhat all over the place. Zouma dived in - in poor areas a few times and Hobbs was generally ok but ever so often just seems to switch off - he's also as slow as they get. Fullbacks though are getting better game in game out.

Jason Lowe was my MOTM - absolutely everywhere and did the box to box role then the holding role without ever looking troubled.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am

I counted 3 decent chances.

Murphy, Crawford free kick and Dodoo's 1st touch header saved round the post.

I don't think Politic is an out and out winger. His best games have been in that illusive number 10 role.

The Stoke Winger aka Verlinden is getting better with each game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 am

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am

I don't think Politic is an out and out winger. His best games have been in that illusive number 10 role.

Hmmm. Not sure there. His end product is missing.

The free kick was a good effort but IMO not a chance - must have been 35 yards out and keeper always favourite.

But yeah there are good things to look at for sure. The weakness in the team as it stands is the front 3 without any doubt. Were Murphy sharp and if Dodoo gets fully fit I think that might change.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:56 am

I said a while back that we need a playmaker and I still stand by that. Maybe we could put Politic in that role, not sure. But we need someone to create a few more chances, someone who can open doors.

Other than that, I thought it was a solid performance. Still can't expect too much from such a random assortment of players but on the whole, I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Gutted about the injuries, though. I think we could have won it had we been able to chuck Buckley on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:56 am
I said a while back that we need a playmaker and I still stand by that. Maybe we could put Politic in that role, not sure. But we need someone to create a few more chances, someone who can open doors.

Other than that, I thought it was a solid performance. Still can't expect too much from such a random assortment of players but on the whole, I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Gutted about the injuries, though. I think we could have won it had we been able to chuck Buckley on.
Crawford does well in that role for me. The wingers don't do enough. Our game is built around them but they aren't producing crosses or deliveries for Murphy to work from. Nor are they getting into the box and getting shots away. Too many tricks not enough actual output.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am
Jugs wrote:

Crawford does well in that role for me. The wingers don't do enough. Our game is built around them but they aren't producing crosses or deliveries for Murphy to work from. Nor are they getting into the box and getting shots away. Too many tricks not enough actual output.
I like Verlinden but he's too keen to use the same foot all the time. Reminds me of Diouf when he would go one way and then another before crossing it. I like him, though, and he whipped some decent crosses in, but the Blackpool lads kept getting there first. I think he should gamble more often too, and have a few cracks at goal.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

This is it for me. We kept getting into good wide positions but I never felt anything was going to come of it. Could also be an element of not having enough people in the right places when the crosses come in, as well as lacking quality delivery.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:54 am

Branagan wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jugs wrote:

This is it for me. We kept getting into good wide positions but I never felt anything was going to come of it. Could also be an element of not having enough people in the right places when the crosses come in, as well as lacking quality delivery.
Yeah Murphy not being fully match sharp doesn't help. But the crosses were generally poor or they simply didn't take the chance to get the ball into the box.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:03 pm

I like Politic and we should remember he's 19. His main aim now should be to become a team player. He has skill in spades and could play wide or as a No.10, but he has to look up a bit more: adding passing around the D to his shjooting/crossing ability would double his effectiveness. Verlinden (now a ripe old 20) is similar in some ways: lots of ability and fun to watch but if you turn four or five times on the trot, it's not just confusing your full-back - Daryl Murphy will have made his run, gone offside, had to trundle back on and find a position again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:03 pm
I like Politic and we should remember he's 19. His main aim now should be to become a team player. He has skill in spades and could play wide or as a No.10, but he has to look up a bit more: adding passing around the D to his shjooting/crossing ability would double his effectiveness. Verlinden (now a ripe old 20) is similar in some ways: lots of ability and fun to watch but if you turn four or five times on the trot, it's not just confusing your full-back - Daryl Murphy will have made his run, gone offside, had to trundle back on and find a position again.
I think both have lots of skill but at 19/20 are way behind others I've seen in terms of all round game. Whether they can learn or not who knows.

We are where we are but ideally we'd only play one and have Dodoo on the other side. If CoG gets fit that means we can do that and still rest Murphy during games and switch the wide boys round. I feel a CM would be a good addition though now.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 am
DJBlu wrote:

The free kick was a good effort but IMO not a chance - must have been 35 yards out and keeper always favourite.
Really? On target and forcing the keeper into a full stretch save is not a chance.
They'll never achieve your unrealistic expectations if you don't see that as a chance.

Before you go onto the no end product rhetoric it was Verlinden who set up the "good" chance with Murphy. Also look at the balls across into the 6 yard area from the right at about 36 mins in. No one on the end of them doesn't mean it isn't a good cross either.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Lots of positives yesterday. Really impressed by our Defense. Very Organized and all 4 defenders had excellent games plus Lowe. Chicksen is a little gem at left back. Matthews had little to do.

So Keith has stopped the leaking. Now we need to score goals. Dodoo looks the sort to cause problems. Very direct and will shoot. We actually played better when Bridcutt had to come off, showing that we are not a one man team and we have character to fight. We continue to have rotten luck on the injury front, but somehow, after yesterday, I am feeling we will survive.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm

A few highlights for anyone who missed out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVBddsp60
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:40 pm

You mean "Keith has stopped the leaking" ICB? Please don't use swear words around here. You're setting me off again NURSE, NURSE :)

I remember Verlinden created a really good chance in the 2nd half for Murphy, who had his shot blocked? Generally though I agree that the wide players didn't create enough. As well as improving on that, we also need more players in the box when crosses do come in. Our midfielders and Politic/Verlinden don't appear to have a goalscorers instinct which means all opposition defenders have to worry about is Murphy. Dodoo might help here.

I thought Zouma has made a big step forward. Hill/Flicker have smoothed off some of his rough edges it seems. And he is naturally good in the air and ok on the ground. He could be a very good c/h by the end of the season. Chicksen too looked way better.

We need to scrape some wins so we have some kind of chance from January. With Buckley and Bridcutt back, it wouldn't take many signings for us to be very decent and get play off team level of points for the last 20 games.

EDIT - You changed it ICB :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:23 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 am
DJBlu wrote:

Really? On target and forcing the keeper into a full stretch save is not a chance.
They'll never achieve your unrealistic expectations if you don't see that as a chance.

Before you go onto the no end product rhetoric it was Verlinden who set up the "good" chance with Murphy. Also look at the balls across into the 6 yard area from the right at about 36 mins in. No one on the end of them doesn't mean it isn't a good cross either.
I guess I'd define a chance as a situation where you have more chance to score than not. So a clear shot or header in the box for example. Or when the keeper is forced into an outstanding save.

I don't think there is any doubt that the wingers aren't providing enough. I take the point about sometimes nobody being there but there were times we had numbers up but the ball was over/under hit or played behind everyone.

Bottom line is we aren't creating a lot of chances. Not like their keeper had saves to make really. So its not strikers misfiring 8 yards out. Generally. Its the delivery and final ball. Not being controversial or critical. We have two young wingers who are exciting. But right now some composure up there would be a big help.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Bristol is right I think. When you're playing one up front, and your wide men are wingers looking for crosses rather than inside forwards looking to support that lone man, you need one or two central midfielders who can bomb it in to provide another body to latch on to crosses. Nolan is the classic example of course. Hopefully it'll come as the team's fitness and chemistry improves. And yes Dodoo showed glimpses of someone who might be able to help with goals (or at least shots) as well as deliveries.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Bottom line is we aren't creating a lot of chances. Not like their keeper had saves to make really. So its not strikers misfiring 8 yards out. Generally. Its the delivery and final ball. Not being controversial or critical. We have two young wingers who are exciting. But right now some composure up there would be a big help.
I wasn't there, so this is a question not a statement, but are we not running before we can walk when we're expected to compete with and beat settled sides of decent players with what is still a patchwork quilt bargain basement side combined with a youth club in the making? We've already held four of them to draws and our defence seems to have become organised quite quickly? I mean, before last night who had heard much of Dodoo never mind seen him in a Wanderers shirt, same with a couple more, Daryl Murphy etc. I'd say, our situation, when compared to two months ago is one to celebrate in every respect, not criticise. A real shame is the injury hoodoo has stuck again to two critical players already. Just comments.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:15 pm

I'm personally very very pleased with how we are playing and actually looking forward to watching a Bolton match again win lose or draw. You're right Tango, we should be very pleased. Talking about where we need to improve is all part of being an armchair manager though!