What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Think I'll watch "Snatch" again on Channel 32 at 9-0 clock. Good watch :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

martinbwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by martinbwfc » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Brassic on sky 1 is worth a watch in a shameless sort of way.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Last night. Been following the historians through ancient Egypt and Simon Sebag Mirefiore through Jerusalem and now Rome. Highly interesting and well presented programmes well worth a watch.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Anyone else admitting to watching 'bake off' or is it just me?!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Go on then, i'll admit to it. Then again, with a prolific baker in the house (as you and others on here can testify to) and a daughter who loves the show, I don't have much choice but to watch. I didn't want to like it, but found myself staying off twitter last night, in order to avoid the result. :oops:

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

I'll probably persevere, though, as I have come this far.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

It's because that's exactly what they are Taddy and always have been; violent animals, bully boys at best, cold-blooded heartless killers at worst. Arthur is a lunatic asylum candidate, and Tommy and Aunt Polly gangsters in suits who will kill you as soon as look at you if you cross them. Hard to make a hero of Tommy, a man who encouraged his younger brother (now dead) to blind somebody with a razor blade in a revenge act. Good TV as entertainment, but no heroes in the Brummy boys..

You will watch it out though, "By order of the Peaky xxxxing Blinders...." :mrgreen:

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

It's because that's exactly what they are Taddy and always have been; violent animals, bully boys at best, cold-blooded heartless killers at worst. Arthur is a lunatic asylum candidate, and Tommy and Aunt Polly gangsters in suits who will kill you as soon as look at you if you cross them. Hard to make a hero of Tommy, a man who encouraged his younger brother (now dead) to blind somebody with a razor blade in a revenge act. Good TV as entertainment, but no heroes in the Brummy boys..

You will watch it out though, "By order of the Peaky xxxxing Blinders...." :mrgreen:
Aye... but on series one there was room for some complexity because of the back-story that Tommy and Arthur were wrestling with their demons from war's brutality - it made them something a bit deeper/more complex than just venal thugs - there was room for some sympathy for their struggle....

I'm not feeling that anymore...

Still - cool hats!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am

taddyontoast wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Aye... but on series one there was room for some complexity because of the back-story that Tommy and Arthur were wrestling with their demons from war's brutality - it made them something a bit deeper/more complex than just venal thugs - there was room for some sympathy for their struggle....

Still - cool hats!
I'm hearing you. Good points Taddy, although I did find the strong Romany connection a bit confusing with pure townies like the Shelbys'. As you say, que sera... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
I'd rather stare at the sun, but thanks for asking. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am
taddyontoast wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Still - cool hats!
I'm hearing you. Good points Taddy, although I did find the strong Romany connection a bit confusing with pure townies like the Shelbys'. As you say, que sera... :wink:
At least you two seem to have a clue on what the hell is going on!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am

yup - never really understood the Romany angle or where it came from - I think it's summat to do with Tommy's mother being part of the Lee family but I've never really concentrated that much!

and it was a basis for them to do the iconic horse thing in the first series opening sequences...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 am

At least you two seem to have a clue on what the hell is going on!
Not really, or just as I see it. It's quite confusing. The plot is becoming a bit too poor man's "Godfather III" with Tommy Shelby stretching the bounds of credibility to breaking point. It's all taking the twenties and thirties into the realms of modern day scriptwriters fantasies with the political connections via Oswald Mosely and fascistism. Both worlds relevant, but not dining at the same table. A bit Derek Hatton meets Tyson Fury....or something..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Plot lost me a long time ago, midway through those Italian chaps last time around I think. No idea what's happening now. Gypsies and ghost hallucinations. Cillian Murphy is good in everything but if I hadn't starting watching it already I don't think I would start now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm
Plot lost me a long time ago, midway through those Italian chaps last time around I think. No idea what's happening now. Gypsies and ghost hallucinations. Cillian Murphy is good in everything but if I hadn't starting watching it already I don't think I would start now.

Aye... i fear it will fail the "leave the audience wanting more" test... but i doubt they'll care as they will have trousered a decent wodge!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:19 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Aye... i fear it will fail the "leave the audience wanting more" test... but i doubt they'll care as they will have trousered a decent wodge!
They should have left well enough alone, but that can't happen, T.V and Films are golden geese and the public ever gullible with fantasy ( always have been since Flash Gordon, Tarzan, Superman, Star Wars, Robin Hood etc,etc...) Nothing succeeds like success and, where money and corporations are concerned, nothing propinks like Propinquity....thus..

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
I'd rather stare at the sun, but thanks for asking. :D
Looking at Paul Hollywood is much the same thing tbf though he doesn't seem quite as perma tanned as last series.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Twas last night, but caught up with episode three of The Capture, that seems a decent BBC. drama...so far. Followed by a good documentary on The Troubles in Ireland and , following recent disclosures, Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness's involvement with the I.R.A. As ever with this topic, complicated doesn't get near describing it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Traumatised by the ending of Sanditon (which I had been loving) tonight. Tango, have you been watching it?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:34 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 pm
Traumatised by the ending of Sanditon (which I had been loving) tonight. Tango, have you been watching it?
Ha, no, G.G.but my wife is complaining bitterly at no happy ending. Jane Austen never finished it so I didn't even read the part finished version. Much as I like all her other novels which I know inside out, I read one chapter and thought it rubbish. The T.V thing is script writer imagination only. .