It's Rochdale....again. Rochdale (H) 19th October 2019 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

It's Rochdale....again. Rochdale (H) 19th October 2019 15:00

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Might this be the one?

With the benefit of a fit Bridcutt pulling the strings from deep, I'd have been practically certain. As it is, I think his absence means it'll be a closer contest.

We'll still aim to play it wide in the hope of firing plenty of crosses into dangerous areas but I wonder if we'll adopt a more direct approach now we've lost our “pivot”? And if we do will we be better off for it? I suspect we perhaps might be better off but I'm not expecting Hill to compromise, and I've enjoyed watching his pleasing style of football lately so I'm happy to run with it.

I predict we'll win a tight one. One-nil, Murphy with the winner.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: It's Rochdale....again. Rochdale (H) 19th October 2019 15:00

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:06 pm

We'll still aim to play it wide in the hope of firing plenty of crosses into dangerous areas but I wonder if we'll adopt a more direct approach now we've lost our “pivot”?
A question: Have we, since Mark Davies, had somebody/anybody who'll run direct at the opposition defence instead of playing for the wings? I've seen it work against us often enough in the past, both for the Whites and our national team.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:06 pm

We'll still aim to play it wide in the hope of firing plenty of crosses into dangerous areas but I wonder if we'll adopt a more direct approach now we've lost our “pivot”?
A question: Have we, since Mark Davies, had somebody/anybody who'll run direct at the opposition defence instead of playing for the wings? I've seen it work against us often enough in the past, both for the Whites and our national team.
I would say to a lesser extent Zach Clough and maybe Ameobi.

Politic gives it a good try.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:57 am

Not sure being ‘cuttless will make us more direct - there were plenty pings before he went off v Tangerines - but without a chief quarterback we may be a little more forward-thinking as mini-units within the team, rather than inexorably working through Liam. Give and go, look for those little 10/15-yard forward passes that March you up the pitch. Dodoo might be more “direct” in that he’ll shoot more - IIRC Ilesy’s podcast noted he had more efforts at goal in his part-game against Pool than any other Bolton striker in any game this season - but if we do fling it in, I’m confident Daryl will start notching sooner or later. Not that he’s just a target man: he’s got good feet and builds well, but as I said after Pompey I’d like to see him solely operate in the penalty box and the “second box” in the 18 yards behind it. Stay close to where the goals happen, big D.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:04 am

Home win.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:13 am

My first of the season this. Looks like our best chance of three points all season, but we know what happens when expectations kick in.

I reckon I am happy enough to see continued progress and a goal. Realistically, of course, we need to win this if the faint hopes of putting a relegation-busting run together are to stand any chance of materialising. I feel that ship sailed long ago though, so a goal or two and a decent performance and I'll be happy enough. COYW!
Last edited by Lennon'sEleven on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:13 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:04 am
Home win.
9/5 on that. Interesting that these odds are a-tumblin'.

Doodo to bag a brace. 2-0 ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:10 pm

They looked a good footballing side in the league cup and I'm surprised they're as low down in the table as they are. Time for us to turn our decent performance's into goals and points. 2-1 win.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Great pro-Bolton article in the Goals section of Sun Sport today. The Man's as Bolton as a Carr's pasty utterly delighted to be here. COME ON YOU WHITES.. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Haven't seen it mentioned on here but Chris O'Grady is in contention today, per Flicker in Thursday's press conference: “We have been able to get Chris out on the grass this week, which is great. He suffered a freak training ground accident – his knee dislocated – but he is an absolute workaholic and he came back a lot sooner than we thought. Chris will be in contention and around the squad, I’d expect.”

Flicker also noted that Connor Hall and Josh Earl were back training and indeed played in the U23s on Monday but wouldn't feature today.

That means we've got Daryl, CO'G, Dodoo, Verlinden and Politic vying for the front three roles; Politic could also come on at 10 if Ali Crawford tires or we want to switch it up a bit. And that's without mentioning Hall (soon) and Buckley (later).

However it comes - and let's not forget half of this season's league goals have been bagged by Jack Hobbs - let's start bothering the scorers.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Jack Hobbs crocked apparently.

Gonna be a tough outing today.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:32 pm

There's a lot going on there.

Hobbs presumably crocked again, so the centre-backs are Zouma (DOB 06.05.1998) and the incorrectly-named Senior (DOB 20.01.2002); they will probably later face substitute Aaron Wilbraham (DOB 21.10.1979).

Midfield trio presumably Sonny Graham, Lowe and Crawford, as expected.

In front of them, Daryl (15.03.1983) flanked by the kids - Politic (05.03.2000) and Verlinden (19.07.1999) - with subs O'Grady (25.01.1986) and Dodoo (29.06.1995) possible replacements.

Also on the bench are the previously exiled midfielders Weir and Luke Murphy, the returning loanee Josh Earl plus two more kiddiwinks: Callum King's-Arms (19.04.2002) and Matty Alexander (07.05.2002).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Afternoon. Bit late tuning in and it sounds a bit lively with us in the driving seat. Free kick us now and..Crawford and...its offside. Free kick them now and some mic chat. And...meanwhile..we press again. Emmanuel takes the liner out, we get a corner and...they clear it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Rochdale break and,,,,get a corner. McShane can't quite reach that. A White (Lowe?) goes in the book....and..mic lads have a chat. Goal kick us from all that. Some back and forth and mic lads sounding a bit positive about our play. 15 played, no score and all to play for. Some passing football, Chicksen, Emanuel, and......wow....ref misses a blatant handball from a Daler,.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Dale sally, good crowd mentioned (later) and...some irrelevant scores..Ref having a word with somebody....we sally again....they clear. Throw them, cleared partly and..chat, chat, ....we go again via Verlinden,,they clear and break and....Rathbone slices a loaf and...and they get a decent cross in. They came again, Matt nips out smartish but it's offside anyway. Matt comes forth and clears again. Some mic box chat and a few guffaws, then....we have a throw. Hendersen getting a bit of mention for them. Crawford goes, Dale clear and ...some scores...then....Emmanuel clears.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Dale sally and....they try a lash from 25 out that gives us a goal kick. Dale have a free kick and...they try a sally. Rathbone loses out to Lowe, but a bit of scrambled stuff and we regain it via.....some more scores.....and Chicksen and....Crawford can't control the pass and....30 mins are reached. no sign of a thunderbolt shot from us yet, they sally and Lowe wins a free kick. Lowe again, Chicksen....Emanuel and....crosses and....a bit of chit chat ...Verlinden gets a mention....Senior, Crawford and.....we get mic praise for some..."lovely football"....Goal kick them..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Mc Shane (good old footballing name ) gets a score interruption then we get a throw. Free kick them now, 12 mins t the break. Mic lads have another chat, Crawford sallies forth...and...Verlinden does well and win s a corner. Short again and..cleared and a break from them peters out..luckily. Throw us again in their half and....some chat and then.....a wallop and....Murphy tries one....we get a throw near the flag. Emanuel takes....and Verlinden? goes offside. Chatter......and it breaks for the Dalers and that could have been a chance (apparently) if they hadn't shot wildly.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Lemon time approaches and....they play it out. Hendersen again won by Emanuel. Not for long, all sounds tit-for-tat, then Chickesn goes long and....Verlinden crosses, McShane heads clear. Sone scores from Scotland...really>? then Dale get a free kick and...a bit of nice from us and...that peters out. All sounding to and fro, we get scores, Matt wallops....Henderson does well, so does Emmanuel. Mention of Ched Evens? then Chicksen goes forth. Verlinden and....ae we really intertested in Aston Villla? No. Chat, chat, clock ticks. Throw us and..Murphy heads well and....injury time (1 min) ticks away. Henderson attempt gets blocked, they come again and....press us and....it's 0-0 at the break.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Lots of huff and puff without really getting near the house.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:53 pm
Lots of huff and puff without really getting near the house.
A striker, a striker, my kingdom for a striker...Alfie come home.... :oyea: