Laughing gas or tear gas? Bristol Rovers (A), Tue 22 Oct 2019 7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Laughing gas or tear gas? Bristol Rovers (A), Tue 22 Oct 2019 7.45pm

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 pm

Mahoosive result tonight oh yeah :pissed: Was very surprised he never gave a few minutes at the end to the subs, then again probably thought it better for morale to the eleven that started. Doesn't matter now as it worked. Three points, away win, clean sheet and an actual striker scoring. Bliss! Looking forward to the match reports :oyea:

Hopefully another win to come on Sat.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:45 pm
Superb. Deserved from minute one. We completely outplayed them.

I think the difference today was getting support up to Murphy and playing a bit more simply. I don’t think the Stoke lad and Politic are all that good tbh. Both superb talents on the ball but their end product doesn’t match. Flattered to deceive. Today Dodoo and CoG held the ball which meant we got support up there.
Daryl Murphy man of the match. What a finish.
Also Bristol Rovers are the worst team I’ve seen in ages.Brilliant stuff.
They've lost 5 out of 14, which against ours.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:54 pm

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Tactically perfect. Mixed it up. Could have been 4. Crawford with 2 real good chances. Over the moon.

My man of the match is Emmanuelle. Luke Murphy, excellent. Do that every time please.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Plus Parky has given tranmere a revenge bumming for bullying the kids. Alls good 👍

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Also Bristol Rovers are the worst team I’ve seen in ages.

I haven't been able to watch any of it but I've heard similar comments. Yet they've won four of their last six and another win for them tonight would've pushed them up to fourth.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:21 pm

League isn’t great
When we get the next points deduction it will be a feck*!

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Simply brilliant. Still say our crossing is ineffective but, as has been said, we mixed it up tonight, which was key.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:31 pm

No subs made at all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:35 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Also Bristol Rovers are the worst team I’ve seen in ages.

I haven't been able to watch any of it but I've heard similar comments. Yet they've won four of their last six and another win for them tonight would've pushed them up to fourth.
Yep. Apparently their main man was out injured but still. We made them look poor to an extent but they never built any pressure up. I’m a fairly nervy watcher but I was completely relaxed with 20 to go. Never looked like scoring they were that bad. Apart from the free kick that hit the bar I guess.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:57 pm

From a source.... :D
Attachments
bolton.jpg
bolton.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 am

I'm in the motherland for half term. Surprised a few people in a Lisbon restaurant last night when I let out a louder-than-intended "Yessss!" at the final whistle. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 am

What a wonderful away performance!

As I was entering the ground Matthews was making an excellent save, and there was a calamitous mix up where their striker had been gifted the ball and just had to get it over Matthews and in to the net to score. Luckily he just about cleared the bar.

After that we looked like a level above them, Matthews didn't have a save to make and we created a number of chances. Luke Murphy looked like a real footballer, and Emanuel was immense. Really impressed with Earl playing at centre half. Looked really calm and composed, and therefore an ideal partner for Zouma, who if he can control himself can be a top centre half. We were genuinely a joy to watch.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 am

As I was entering the ground Matthews was making an excellent save, and there was a calamitous mix up where their striker had been gifted the ball and just had to get it over Matthews and in to the net to score. Luckily he just about cleared the bar.

After that we looked like a level above them, Matthews didn't have a save to make and we created a number of chances. Luke Murphy looked like a real footballer, and Emanuel was immense. Really impressed with Earl playing at centre half. Looked really calm and composed, and therefore an ideal partner for Zouma, who if he can control himself can be a top centre half. We were genuinely a joy to watch.
The extra physicality of O'Grady and Dodoo really helped. We looked a fit and athletic unit. We played football but also went long (and held the ball) at times. We were far less one dimensional and used the centre of the pitch as well as the width of it.

I thought the players looked a lot more comfortable in that sort of a shape - than with the more traditional width that Verlinde and Politic offer. I feel both of those players are somewhat a luxury in our position unless their end product is there. But last night whilst O'Grady clearly doesn't offer the ability - he was effective in giving us a way out and keeping the ball in their half. I would suggest that we will be better aiming for a 4-3-3 with 3 forwards rather than tricky wingers....

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 am

If this is the way we set up regularly, then Verlinden and Politic could be great impact subs to give us another element or panic tired opposition. Nice place to be in after all this time.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

The extra physicality of O'Grady and Dodoo really helped. We looked a fit and athletic unit. We played football but also went long (and held the ball) at times. We were far less one dimensional and used the centre of the pitch as well as the width of it.

I thought the players looked a lot more comfortable in that sort of a shape - than with the more traditional width that Verlinde and Politic offer. I feel both of those players are somewhat a luxury in our position unless their end product is there. But last night whilst O'Grady clearly doesn't offer the ability - he was effective in giving us a way out and keeping the ball in their half. I would suggest that we will be better aiming for a 4-3-3 with 3 forwards rather than tricky wingers....
Difference was the side moving with the ball on the wings. Verlinden is normally 10 yards ahead of everybody. It was a really good play off the striker performance.

If we can become consistant with this style of play and performance then we might be able to catch the teams in 18th to 20th.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:58 am

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Difference was the side moving with the ball on the wings. Verlinden is normally 10 yards ahead of everybody. It was a really good play off the striker performance.

If we can become consistant with this style of play and performance then we might be able to catch the teams in 18th to 20th.
Good point. Previous games, we were crossing and the players that were supposed to latch on in front of goal hadn't arrived yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Branagan wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 am
If this is the way we set up regularly, then Verlinden and Politic could be great impact subs to give us another element or panic tired opposition. Nice place to be in after all this time.
I think both would be very effective coming on later in games. I suspect that when they start teams set up to defend against it and we become a bit easier to play against. With O Grady and Dodoo full backs have to worry about aerial battles and they hold the ball to bring full backs into the game too.

Suspect as ever though that home and away is different. Perhaps more ability on the ball needed more at home - O Grady might struggle if a team sits back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm

If teams sit deep against us, that’s a sort of victory of its own after the last 2.5 seasons...

Said it before and I said it again ahead of this game. Keep D-Murph in the area and “second penalty area” behind it, and get others alongside him ASAP.

Anyway, enjoy:

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Yep Dodoo and COG definitely added a lot, especially defensively with their strength and athleticism. Dodoo has to be our first choice wide player at the moment. Verlinden might be an alternative to COG when we need a more attacking mode, although i do think a solid, experienced character like COG is important to us at this time too.

I am glad the next game is away. Same again please!