Will our guile make Plymouth rock? FA Cup 1st Round 9.11.19 KO 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Will our guile make Plymouth rock? FA Cup 1st Round 9.11.19 KO 3pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am

Hillys got cup fever. Have you?

I'm expecting us to put out a strong side here although there may be a couple cup tied perhaps? Verlinden?

A good following from Devon and only a tenner a ticket (props to FV). Another chance to get those fitness levels up and increase an understanding amongst the squad.

Who's going?

3-2 win to the Whites
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will our guile make Plymouth rock? FA Cup 1st Round 9.11.19 KO 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:42 am

Looking forward to it. This is a big game for us. Potentially progressing to the 3rd round and a good draw could be big bucks.

Hope we win and continue the good form. Probably biggest game we've had thus far.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:50 am

Funny one. I think we have to go strong. Momentum, potential money-spinning draw.

But against a midtable League 2 team could be a good test for one or two of the younger ones and whether they might be up to it next year if we go down.

I'd not risk anyone carrying a knock but otherwise full strength with maybe Senior for Zouma, Graham for one of the midfield boys, and Hall for one of the front three.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:51 am

Asked the Shakers at work if they knew anything about this supposed 1,000 of them turning out to cheer on their old boys? Chiefly bollocks, but expect the odd numpty - was the general response.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:42 am
Looking forward to it. This is a big game for us. Potentially progressing to the 3rd round and a good draw could be big bucks.

Hope we win and continue the good form. Probably biggest game we've had thus far.
Not for me, I hope that Hill plays some of the youngsters we cant afford any more injuries now that we have some momentum in the League. If we get to the 3rd round then great but its certainly not a priority in my book or the biggest game so far, my priority is trying to stay in the division against all odds. I doubt it will be a good crowd, I don't know many who are going - there may be 1000+ from Plymouth which is admirable as its a fair trek for a FA Cup round 1 game - we will be lucky to get 7,000 on.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not for me, I hope that Hill plays some of the youngsters we cant afford any more injuries now that we have some momentum in the League. If we get to the 3rd round then great but its certainly not a priority in my book or the biggest game so far, my priority is trying to stay in the division against all odds. I doubt it will be a good crowd, I don't know many who are going - there may be 1000+ from Plymouth which is admirable as its a fair trek for a FA Cup round 1 game - we will be lucky to get 7,000 on.
Can't agree. We've a group of players who had no or little pre season training. They need the games to keep coming at the moment.

I don't understand the negative attitude some of our fans are showing for this. It's a tenner a ticket, we'll be fielding a strong XI and we nearly didn't have a feckin team in August! IMO there's no excuse for any of the regulars not getting down there.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

As Hill says in his interview the FA cup and a run in it is in our control and something we can actually achieve. The league is totally different. We need an unbelievable run as it is before we get to the fact the EFL will take more points off us likely taking it out of our control.

The FA cup is totally different. These players can achieve something for BWFC that nobody can take away from us. Be it a famous run or a big 3rd round monetary award type draw.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:39 pm

HG everyone is entitled to agree or disagree its what forums like this are for - but I don't need an excuse not to go on Saturday in the cup, and quite a few who I was with at the Fleetwood game think the same, and I don't think that it makes fans not going against Plymouth 'negative'.

We all have differing opinions - you think players need games, I'd prefer us not to pick up any more injuries - and as I said earlier the FA Cup 1st round just doesn't do it for me regardless of it being a £10, same with the football league trophy playing against U21 teams.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:39 pm
HG everyone is entitled to agree or disagree its what forums like this are for - but I don't need an excuse not to go on Saturday in the cup, and quite a few who I was with at the Fleetwood game think the same, and I don't think that it makes fans not going against Plymouth 'negative'.

We all have differing opinions - you think players need games, I'd prefer us not to pick up any more injuries - and as I said earlier the FA Cup 1st round just doesn't do it for me regardless of it being a £10, same with the football league trophy playing against U21 teams.
Oh aye. You pays your money you takes your choice. Personally, if we're playing I want to be there to see it. Work and other commitments can get in the way for anyone. Right now i just don't understand how apathy can.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:15 pm

I won't be there but I'll be back against MK Dons the following Saturday.

However, as torn as I am about a cup run, I side with Insane on this one. As long as we emerge injury free (we won't), it'd be great to get into the next round and a POTENTIAL televised clash.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm

I hope Hilly does what BSA used to do in games like this. Half a side of regular first team players with the remainder made up of fringe and junior players, whilst having the insurance of the remaining first team players on the bench in case it starts to go tits-up.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 pm

I say we go for it and play a strong side. We cannot win the league but we can go on decent exciting cup runs. Hill on the other hand will be slaughtered in hindsight if any of his first teamers get injured. Who wants to be the Manager?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm
I hope Hilly does what BSA used to do in games like this. Half a side of regular first team players with the remainder made up of fringe and junior players, whilst having the insurance of the remaining first team players on the bench in case it starts to go tits-up.
My memory of BSA in cup games was more like 10 changes and we had a collection of reserves and fringe players all looking bemused. We'd inevitably get beat and he'd accuse them of not taking their opportunity to get a first team place

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
My memory of BSA in cup games was more like 10 changes and we had a collection of reserves and fringe players all looking bemused. We'd inevitably get beat and he'd accuse them of not taking their opportunity to get a first team place
Team of strangers beaten at home by Bury, Akin Bulet woeful...

Anyway folks here's your quiz - name the 18 different teams we've played in the FA Cup since that game at Wembley we don't talk about even though we're fine with it, really.

Clues given in the venue and result (our score first). If games went to a replay, you don't get the drawn one. Enjoy...

https://www.sporcle.com/games/GaryParki ... nts-fa-cup

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:35 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Team of strangers beaten at home by Bury, Akin Bulet woeful...

Anyway folks here's your quiz - name the 18 different teams we've played in the FA Cup since that game at Wembley we don't talk about even though we're fine with it, really.

Clues given in the venue and result (our score first). If games went to a replay, you don't get the drawn one. Enjoy...

13. A tough one that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'd say that advancing age has allowed memory to have its way with you, Old Sport ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 pm

14, but a few I'd completely forgotten even after I read the answers.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Proper toughie, that. Ended up just typing random teams in :) I feel I should be awarded a half a point extra though for typing Tottenham in as Spurs :?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Sonny in for T-Bone.
7AF03D94-B57E-4197-8D49-54258AEB2DFC.png
7AF03D94-B57E-4197-8D49-54258AEB2DFC.png (724.83 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Getting my "COME ON YOU WHITES" in early. Expecting visitors this afternoon as the wife is just home from hospital but hoping to catch some of the game. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?