Parkinson's disease. Sunderland (A) 26.12.19 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Parkinson's disease. Sunderland (A) 26.12.19 3pm KO

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:24 am

Not one for the purists they may say, as a Parky side faces his last project.

They're on a terrible run given their resources and by comparison to how they were doing under Ross. Worryingly, they are still capable of turning sides over if their 5-0 demolition of Tranmere is anything to go by, although that must seem ages ago now to the Mackems.

Who knows which Wanderers side will turn up? Bridcutt at centre half facing a Parky style aerial bombardment fills me with dread. By the same token, if we repeat our poor use of the ball from Saturday, we may get away with it if they're going to spend the game wellying it back at us.

I'll go for a dour, yet optimistic 1-1 draw.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Parkinson's disease. Sunderland (A) 26.12.19 3pm KO

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:57 am

I haven't seen how Sunderland play but I can guess. If Hill plays Bridcutt as one of two centre-backs he needs his bumps felt.

Parky won't have the usual advantage of a manager against his old team in that very few of these players are "his", barring Remi (goalkeeper), Lowe (fairly predictable anyway) and Luke Murphy (fairly unpredictable anyway).

He also has much bigger problems and much more to lose: after winning two of his first four (home games against Tranmere and Southend), they haven't won in four since early November, including local-displeasing home games against Coventry (D 1-1), Burton (L 1-2) and Blackpool (D 1-1). (The other game was a 1-1 at Gillingham.)

It's fair to say that enough Sunderland fans vocally dislike Parkinson to ensure that any honeymoon is over (if it existed), and as noted many times on here, if results aren't there for Parky he can't fall back on losing in style. It's hardly the newest advice but clearly if we keep it tight early on then the tension will rise.

It's also worth noting that Daryl played for Newcastle and Mackems have a long memory - they booed Andy Walker for a two-game loan spell at SJP - so he'd be particularly delighted to score again.

What formation do we play? God knows, depends on form and fitness. I suspect we might go back-three again with Liam Bridcutt at (gasp) quarter-back, hoping to launch balls to get in behind them. Maybe Edwards will return, maybe Wright; maybe Earl will go central with the rested Chicksen returning (Chicksen doesn't strike me as a wingback but does Earl?). I would expect Verlinden to start on the bench, which may not be popular but might help us start more solidly than we did on Saturday.

Oh and if we don't train very very hard on defending set pieces, I'll be dismayed.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Whatever set up we play it'll have to shape a bit better than lately, especially defensive wise. Out third goal was a pure fluke in terms of gift-wrapped at a time they were pressing for an equaliser. We don't often get those sort of fortunate breaks and can't rely on luck at all. We've been a bit unfortunate with injuries and the sooner Crawford is back the better. Tighten up at the back and stop giving soft goals away and we could well get a bit of momentum going and hoist ourselves back into a chance of survival. At last, our front lads seem to have got an appetite for scoring. Long may it carry on.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:31 pm
Out third goal was a pure fluke in terms of gift-wrapped at a time they were pressing for an equaliser.
Pure fluke? Outrageously harsh, Tango. The only fortunate part of it was that their lad slipped and gifted Murphy possession. He still had the not-so-small task of carrying it a third of the way down the field and finishing it off.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:04 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Out third goal was a pure fluke in terms of gift-wrapped at a time they were pressing for an equaliser.
Pure fluke? Outrageously harsh, Tango. The only fortunate part of it was that their lad slipped and gifted Murphy possession. He still had the not-so-small task of carrying it a third of the way down the field and finishing it off.

It was a very composed finish from Murphy, and it's a measure of his ability that as he ran in I felt certain he would put it away. The only player I can think of in recent years who inspired similar confidence in front of goal was le Fondre.

Also, it's important to note that the opportunity only presented itself due to effective closing down from Luke Murphy. It's at least the second goal we've scored as result of our willingness to press high since Hill's arrival.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Aye, not meant quite it as it came out Bruce. I've only seen the highlights. We don't often get things falling our way like the opposition lad's slip, was the fluke bit I meant. nothing more. The finish was great.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Aye, not meant quite it as it came out Bruce. I've only seen the highlights. We don't often get things falling our way like the opposition lad's slip, was the fluke bit I meant. nothing more. The finish was great.
Oh absolutely, Tango. I'm tired of pointing out that our opponents never gift us possession as often or as needlessly as we do to them.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:45 am

Hope your Christmases were lovely and get even better today, when for the first time in 10 months we go into a game with the mathematical possibility of climbing a place.

Worth noting too that Southend today play host to third-bottom MK Dons. Tranmere are at Burton (14th), AFC Wombles at Bristol Rovers (4th).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Best case for us still has us bottom at 5pm I would think. Here's to 3 points. Got a lot of time for Parky but hope we pile on the pressure.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:57 pm
Best case for us still has us bottom at 5pm I would think. Here's to 3 points. Got a lot of time for Parky but hope we pile on the pressure.
Aye on all. Mind, I could cope with Southend drawing, us coming off the bottom and being two closer to McDons. But I can also imagine the huge emotional celebration of moving off the bottom rung at home on Saturday. As ever, we'll see.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Unchanged XI. Hmm.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:01 pm
Unchanged XI. Hmm.
Just arrived at the SoL. I wasn't feeling particularly confident before I read that. It hasn't helped!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Is Chicksen injured?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:41 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:40 pm
Is Chicksen injured?
On bench. Iles described him as dropped the other day.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:41 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Is Chicksen injured?

I'd have thought it'd have made more sense to persevere with him if dropping him means we have to shuffle our back line to such an extent that we're having to play our most creative available midfielder at centre-back.

(Assuming that is what it means)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:00 pm
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:41 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Is Chicksen injured?

I'd have thought it'd have made more sense to persevere with him if dropping him means we have to shuffle our back line to such an extent that we're having to play our most creative available midfielder at centre-back.

(Assuming that is what it means)
Chicksen's out of contract next month. He's started 15 games. Wonder if there's a trigger clause if he gets to 16?
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/septem ... rers-deal/

BTW, Southend and Tranmere were both losing but have both equalised (as at 32')

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:36 pm

We seem to be a wee bit under pressure right now,,,and a Sunderland goal is ruled out for barging the keeper....let-off....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Any comments from the match lads? We see to be doing okay so far

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Superb first half performance and if we could finish we'd be 2 goals clear. As a decade of unrelenting shite draws to a close, I still felt relieved that we'd got to the break all square!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:57 pm

0-0 HT. I'd settle for that.
Southend 1-1 MK Dons, which is good too
Bristol Rovers 1-0 AFC Wimbledon, which is lovely
Burton 1-1 Tranmere, which could improve a notch