Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:21 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:13 pm
Senior is a junior, Wright is wrong, Earl's future is gray and Hobbs is hobbling off. Have I understood that correctly?
:lol:

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 pm

I left on Wednesday thinking how many of their goals would we have prevented if a fit Hobbs (or now say Wheater) was playing in place of Wright. Definitely the 3rd and 4th. I like Wright, but they were criminal to conceed.

I'd give Wheater a contract till the end of this season, and see where we're at league-wise and younger-players-coming-through-wise in May.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:20 pm

No matter who we sign, if 23-year-old Liam Edwards isn't to be entrusted with one of the two vacant centre-back positions in our starting line-up I'd like to know why.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:20 pm
No matter who we sign, if 23-year-old Liam Edwards isn't to be entrusted with one of the two vacant centre-back positions in our starting line-up I'd like to know why.
Young and old pairing works for me. Wheater and Wright either or but not both.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:20 pm
The Liam Edwards who recently signed a 3 year deal and along with Brockers is the only senior feck contracted beyond the summer. 100% agree. He also looked head and shoulders ahead of Zouma in the (admittedly limited) bits I saw at the start of the season.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:44 pm

Nixon (usual caveats) is reporting that neither Earl nor Wright will be returning, and that we're in for Jimmy Dunne from Burnley.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 pm

Rumours are that we have signed Muhammadu Faal, striker from non-league Enfield (supposedly had him on trial earlier in the season?),
I just love rumours in the transfer window, makes you dream a little. Anyway, if true we might have the next Jamie Vardy! :wink:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:14 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 pm
Rumours are that we have signed Muhammadu Faal, striker from non-league Enfield (supposedly had him on trial earlier in the season?),
I just love rumours in the transfer window, makes you dream a little. Anyway, if true we might have the next Jamie Vardy! :wink:
Been on trial for the last week or so.

24 in 25, if that is replicated then I doubt he'd be here very long.

In other news, Jake Wright is returning to Sheffield United. Allegedly.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:14 pm
twilight wrote:

He wouldn't get near Sheff U's reserve team, so doubt they'll be keeping him around.

On this Faal chap, wouldn't Enfield demand a fee for him?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:01 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:22 pm
DJBlu wrote:
twilight wrote:

He wouldn't get near Sheff U's reserve team, so doubt they'll be keeping him around.

As he's playing in the London equivalent of the Northern Premier League (7th tier), it's unlikely he's on contract that would require a fee. Don't think we're allowed to pay fees, are we?

A quick google suggests he's distantly related to Liverpool's Joe Gomez, so he must be good. :wink:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:01 am
The_Gun wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
twilight wrote:

As he's playing in the London equivalent of the Northern Premier League (7th tier), it's unlikely he's on contract that would require a fee. Don't think we're allowed to pay fees, are we?

A quick google suggests he's distantly related to Liverpool's Joe Gomez, so he must be good. :wink:
Yeah we definitely can't pay fees which is why I was surprised at the rumour. Not familiar with non-league contracts, but I thought there generally are fees involved when league clubs come in for players at that level?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:01 am
The_Gun wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
twilight wrote:

Yeah we definitely can't pay fees which is why I was surprised at the rumour. Not familiar with non-league contracts, but I thought there generally are fees involved when league clubs come in for players at that level?
Last night I was actually talking to a bloke who follows Tooting & Mitcham (a league below Enfield), and he said they'd recently sold players to Charlton and Middlesbrough for fees.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 am

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/toot ... -for-trio/

I suspect it was a voluntary fee in recognition of the investment T&M had made in their development.

Faal scored twice in Enfield's 5-3 win over Haringey on Boxing Day (a proper north London derby!). But, he hasn't been in the squad for their last couple of games.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:16 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 am
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/toot ... -for-trio/

I suspect it was a voluntary fee in recognition of the investment T&M had made in their development.

Faal scored twice in Enfield's 5-3 win over Haringey on Boxing Day (a proper north London derby!). But, he hasn't been in the squad for their last couple of games.
I think you're right. Further investigation suggests teams at that level are loathe to sign many players to proper contracts due to the risk of them getting injured and still being liable to pay them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Club confirm Earl and Wright have gone back.
Iles says Hill passed on renewing Earl, that Wright is "unlikely" to come back, and that Burnley's Jimmy Dunne (a wonderfully 60s-sounding trio of words) is under consideration after annoying Joey Barton. I like him already.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... josh-earl/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:34 pm

Passing on Earle, a lad who can play comfortably in two positions, surprises me.

Given the kind of unsavoury incidents Barton was involved in during his playing career, I'm curious to know what Dunne must have done to upset him!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:14 pm

On Earl: I didn't mind him, but I shan't exactly lose sleep over his absence. Like you, I'm slightly surprised, but presumably, (Tommy) HillFlicker have a big list of folk ready to come in, and only limited manoeuvrability on squad size.

On Dunne, or rather Barton: Joseph strikes me as the sort to make examples for what he sees as the greater good. I don't think Dunne would necessarily have had to plough his car into a bus-queue of pensioners. The wrong word here or there, turning up late for an away trip - god knows what Barton's twisted morals decree unforgivable.

Dunne is an Irish centre-back, 22 now, was at Man U from age 10 to 18 and Burnley since.

Burnley Express reporter Chris Boden said Dunne is a “typically strong centre back, good in the air, and seems to have that professionalism about him.”

In July 2017 (when he was 19), they sent him on loan to fifth-tier Barrow, where manager Ady Pennock said “I want him to do very well for us and push on up. He has been great. He’s an old fashioned centre-half and he will make a fortune in the game if he carries on the way he is, because it’s all tippy-tappy Charlies around centre-halves at the moment.”

In January 2018 (by which time he’d turned 20), they sent him to fourth-tier Accrington Stanley, where John Coleman described Dunne as a “solid defender” who is “good in the air”.

The following summer (still 20) he went to Scotch top-tierers Hearts, where Craig Levein said: "I've been pleased with him. He has brought, for a young guy, quite a lot of calmness to the team along with his obvious attributes. He’s a good passer of the ball and is good in the air and has decent pace. He’s a calm boy, he’s low maintenance and is not difficult to deal with at all.” Levein also called Dunne “humble and willing to learn and listen.”

Last January, he went to Sunderland and it didn’t go as well. After a game against Bristol Rovers, Sunderland’s ever-patient fans gave him pelters and Jack Ross was moved to defend him: “There have been different players who have been criticised at different times. We’ve got a lot of young players and this is a whole new learning experience for them. Bristol put a lot of balls forward, a lot of balls into the box, and we knew that. We wanted more of a physical presence in the penalty area and I would guess Jimmy made double figures in terms of headed clearances.”

Then came Fleetwood. Barton on Dunne:
It’s another thing that will stay in the confines of the football club, another discipline breach in our opinion. Something that is non-negotiable for us. A lesson that needs to be learned for a young player.

Jim did great, had a couple of good performances and scored a couple of good goals, but some things are just non-negotiable and he crossed a line for us. Unfortunately for us we decided we didn’t want to renew his loan and that we are going to go in a different direction.

We’ve just decided to change direction, there was a line crossed; for our dressing room it was impossible for it to continue. I always speak to my dressing room because they are the football club. The players are the ones who go out and they’re in the trenches. They have to be sure that everyone is facing the same direction and they’re not going to get a sideswipe. We have to clear that up, that has been dealt with and we move forward.
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/spor ... 1-10183236

Notable that he's also turfed out another player, winger Ash Hunter, on loan to Salford. Barton goes into more detail on that case (while protesting that he can't) but it wouldn't surprise me if Barton's own baggage was making him have to be overly harsh with youngsters stepping anywhere out of line.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:34 pm
Passing on Earle, a lad who can play comfortably in two positions, surprises me.

Given the kind of unsavoury incidents Barton was involved in during his playing career, I'm curious to know what Dunne must have done to upset him!
Turned up as a prosecution witness?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:44 pm

He's out of contract in the summer as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:49 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:44 pm
He's out of contract in the summer as well.
Yeah, it looks that way - I didn’t see mention of a contract beyond 2020.

Difficult for a centre-back to establish themselves - it tends to be an area in which managers seek experience. He must have had some promise to be at Yernited for nearly a decade, and Sean Dyche isn’t a bad judge of a centre-back. Yes, he doesn’t think Dunne is ready for the PL, but frankly neither are we. The fact he’s fairly constantly been out on loan - at a generally rising trajectory of competition levels - suggests they have been seeing where his level is. I’m wondering where ours is too, so maybe our curves are meeting at a mutually beneficial time. IDK. All guesswork innit?