Faal Mental Jackett - Pompey (H), 3:00pm, 18/01/2020

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Faal Mental Jackett - Pompey (H), 3:00pm, 18/01/2020

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:15 pm
Meanwhile - someone's been at the Liam Edwards voodoo doll again.
Not at all, Chief. Pompey's no. 22 is a vile little c*nt by the name of Ellis Harrison, who twice clattered into our players after the ball had gone. Stamped on Edwards' (who'd had an excellent half) foot then fell down like he'd been injured too. The incredibly inconsistent ref eventually booked him for kicking the ball away. We've had some badduns this season and this lad was right up there. Darcy was superb today. Whipped in some wonderful crosses but Dodoo didn't even connect with one and O'Grady managed to head one about 10 metres wide.
Disagree with Harry re O'Grady - he huffed and puffed but got no change whatsoever out of Pompey's big centre halves.
Just seen their goal (cheers, mate). From where I sit (level with where the free kick was taken from) I thought Matthews had actually made a good save (hey ho :) ) but I'm still disappointed that their lad was first to the ball. What you can't see from the footage btw is that the kick itself was an absolute textbook left foot in-swinger to the box.
Politc had the best gave I've seen him have, to date, and brought a fine save out of their 'keeper with a worm-burner from outside the box.
Fleming looked very good at LB (except for the time he passed it to them) certainly in the first half. I paid him less attention in the second half though.
All in all, not a game I thought we deserved to lose, but exactly the sort of game you do lose when you're going down :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Poor first half from us, excellent second.

I wish we could perform as we did in the second consistently. O Grady helped in that he offered a target.

Darcy the pick for me, looks great and full of like. Hamilton did well too. Nsialia looks composed.

Dodoo was poor.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 pm
I thought Pompey passed it around nicely in the first half, as opposed to us being poor.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Well for the last decade football has been shite
And it’s not getting any better this one, any time soon. Enough nails in the coffin now - as said above, it’s exactly the kind of game you lose when going down. Who knows where it will end.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 pm

Well, I enjoyed it in spite of the result. Our hopes of staying up are disappearing rapidly if they haven't been extinguished already, but provided we can maintain the same energy and purpose we had in the second half I'll be happy enough.

I got the sense that Daryl Murphy's enforced absence left us confused as to what we wanted to be. The logic of playing Hamilton as a wide midfielder on the right-hand side is lost on me, and with Dodoo often drifting into his familiar right-wing position things unsurprisingly became congested in that area. But that only meant Darcy had more space to play in and he started very brightly, being our most dominant player early on. The thing with Darcy, and it's not a criticism, just an observation, is that he instinctively moves central, as could be expected of a natural central midfielder. That meant two things, the first was that we played without much width, and the second was that Fleming, at left-back, had little in the way of protection in front of him. Nevertheless, we had spells where we played neatly but offered practically no threat to their goalkeeper whatsoever. Then again neither did they, bar a pretty soft goal from the free-kick and a stretched effort from a few yards out that mercifully went over, with our defensive line looking fairly solid. Edwards dealt well enough with their centre-forward's shithousery and I felt more comfortable with him at centre-back than I have with Zouma. As, I suspect, did his partner Nsiala.

I can understand why Hill then brought O'Grady on at half-time because, although he wasn't lacking in effort, Dodoo will never be a target man. There was no doubt he had his opposing centre-back beaten for pace, but I honestly don't think he won a header all afternoon, and I include in that the free ones. O'Grady certainly has his limitations but he at least partially gave us a presence upfield.

With him coming on for Edwards, Lowe dropped back and Hamilton moved in to form a 4-4-2 and we instantly felt more balanced. Politic started the second half on the left-hand side, with Darcy on the right, and, possibly sensing greater support from those ahead of him, or maybe just gaining in confidence, Fleming began to show what I think Hill might like about him - he got forward. Very forward. To the point where he was occasionally ahead of Politic. Not in the sense he'd overlapped, but at times as if he was playing as a sort of second winger. The benefit was that it allowed Politic to go inside where he prefers and where he can be dangerous, and gave us numbers in the middle. From then on we had the best of it. Their goalkeeper did well to tip two efforts from Politic just round the post, and if first Dodoo and then O'Grady had done the bare minimum expected of them from a great cross in, namely get a head on it and get a shot on target, we'd have come away with something.

Another defeat, sadly, but there was much to take pride in.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:15 pm

For me we should be aiming to finish above Southend. Anything less and this seasons a failure. I think in doing that well have salvaged some pride from the latter stages of a season that started bizarrely and has gone to rat shit since just before Christmas.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:21 pm

Oh, and credit where it's due - a magnificent turnout by the Portsmouth supporters. Roughly three fifths of the lower tier. Every credit.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:09 pm

Yep - I suppose we should be hopeful we follow suit in, say, 5 years time? Theirs is the path we are on, assuming we end up no lower than league two.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 pm
*Cough* that's Dodoo isn't it? 23. Video isn't great. Nsiala I think it's between the sticks and then trying to get to the loose ball and second.
Fair cop - confirmed, having watched it on telly now.

Still not sure about Nsiala. Again, he's erratic - although I want to like him. Interesting back story. Hope he feels better now than last time he worked in Lancashire and was released mid-contract under a cloud by Accy, who don't often pay up contracts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... rd-battle/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 pm
I thought Pompey passed it around nicely in the first half, as opposed to us being poor.
I thought they looked a very average side. We had nothing up front first half and it showed. O Grady made a big difference simply by being there sadly he is useless. But his presence changed the game.

There are bright spots. Sadly this season is one of possibly the worst in memory results and enjoyment wise.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:21 am

There are bright spots. Sadly this season is one of possibly the worst in memory results and enjoyment wise.
That's true, if you've forgotten about last season already!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:31 pm

At least there were some good opposition players last year. This year we are just losing to some right shite every week!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:21 am

That's true, if you've forgotten about last season already!
I mean last season we started well and there was a glimmer of hope before off field events took everything to its natural conclusion.

This season has been hopeless from the start getting thumped 5 and 6 by teams some of our fans have barely heard of and very very little hope at any point.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Theres been some shockers this season for sure but last year, every home game from September onwards was us putting 11 behind the ball, not having a single shot on target and hoping to hang onto 0-0 for as long as possible.

This season, Wycombe & Coventry, I wouldn't have missed for the world. Every home game so far, with the exception of Ipswich, has had more entertainment value, end to end stuff, goals, chances etc than anything last year.

The less said about our away capitulations this season the better.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:36 pm
This season has been hopeless from the start getting thumped 5 and 6 by teams some of our fans have barely heard of and very very little hope at any point.
I've had loads
Eye of the beholder, innit

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:23 pm

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I've had loads
At best we’ve been 12/13 behind. And when we were we had injuries and potentially further points to come off.

There was at best a glimmer but reality is most fans knew we were down in August. It’s not down to the current owners or management or anything just the way it is. But it’s miserabls right now in that ground, make no mistake. Regulars starting to drop off which is a worry.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:23 pm
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I've had loads
At best we’ve been 12/13 behind. And when we were we had injuries and potentially further points to come off.

There was at best a glimmer but reality is most fans knew we were down in August. It’s not down to the current owners or management or anything just the way it is. But it’s miserabls right now in that ground, make no mistake. Regulars starting to drop off which is a worry.
I never doubted for a second that you were hopeless :D

Home games might be awful to attend but I've been to a few aways where the fans were right behind the team

Nobody would have bet even a doll's house on us staying up but that doesn't mean there was no hope

If there's no hope, why would we ever bother? But people still do, and it's presumably not for want of anything else to do

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:16 pm

It can only ever be subjective but nothing I've felt post-takeover has come even close to the misery I felt in the first half of last year.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 pm

My thoughts:

- In terms of the game, we were up against an experienced L1 team who knew how to do the basics well. There were good at set pieces, and worked hard. A bit like we were in 2016/17. We played some really good football, showed a lot of spirit, but didn't really look like scoring, and without being terrible in defence, always looked capable of conceding. Darcy and Politic will play at a higher level than this.

- We are still suffering from the neglect of the Anderson era. We rushed a load of signings in in August, without a pre season, key people on the staff have been leaving, who knows if the facilities are back in fully working order, or when that happened, but it still feels like the club is still on the slide. We need a full close season and some prolonged stability.

- FV clearly don't have a football background, so bringing in football people between them and the manager makes sense. If Peter Kenyon is a longer term appointment, then they have to decide if Keith Hill and Flicker are the right fit. If the idea is a DoF model, presumably the aim would be to sign younger players with the aim of keeping the wage bill down and making money in the transfer market, to offset the huge losses FV will incur. Normally you would want a young progressive manager embracing the latest technology and techniques to go alongside this philosophy. Hill has experience of a similar philosophy on a smaller scale at Rochdale, is he the man here?

- I hope FV stick at it. They are going to have to spend a hell of a lot of money if as looks likely we go down to L2, with the embargo still in place. We can't just buy or sign our way out of that league next season.