The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Oh ok - better start a campaign for that then. Maybe Nige will take up the baton!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm

It works really well in reducing crime in countries that have it :roll:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm
Actually they don't really do enough of them so world flake opinion is not brought down upon them.
Why on earth anyone wants to pay and constantly fail to rehabilitate these scumbags is way past belief. See if that worked the woke would be screaming it from the rooftops.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:46 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Actually they don't really do enough of them so world flake opinion is not brought down upon them.
Why on earth anyone wants to pay and constantly fail to rehabilitate these scumbags is way past belief. See if that worked the woke would be screaming it from the rooftops.
There is clearly a whole lexicon of new words that I need to learn - what with flakes and "the woke" - I guess I must be in a different bubble...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:46 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
There is clearly a whole lexicon of new words that I need to learn - what with flakes and "the woke" - I guess I must be in a different bubble...
And 'gaslighting'. I had to look that one up :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:55 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
And 'gaslighting'. I had to look that one up :)
:lol: I think you could actually try to gaslight a woke flake.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Worthy, the Oxford English dictionary defines 'the woke" as people " well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; ". This might explain why our hoboh seemingly disapproves of them.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:16 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Worthy, the Oxford English dictionary defines 'the woke" as people " well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; ". This might explain why our hoboh seemingly disapproves of them.
Yes - it's sorta been hijacked generally to be used in the perjorative by the rednecks to call the namby-pamby liberals. They think it's dead funny like "flakes". They'll be setting up the Breightmet Militia next.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Shit insults make me want to eat my own first.

"Woke" and particularly "snowflake" as an insult are total cringe.

As, tbf are "gammon" and my own personal least favourite "melt". For political balance.

Just cunting swear for Christ's sake.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

As, tbf are "gammon" and my own personal least favourite "melt". For political balance.

feck off!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Absofuckinglutely! :pissed: :oyea:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:32 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm
Worthy, the Oxford English dictionary defines 'the woke" as people " well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; ".

The Oxford English Dictionary, well known for it's abhorrence of all things Islington.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Uncouth youth :D

I know what you mean but to get some sort of reaction out of the braindead you have to speak in language they understand :) Afterall most of them have only a three word dictionary, racist, sexist or misogynist. Oh I forgot the Climate denier and old fogy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 pm

So what else is new? I'm reckoning the nonsense language started back in the 49th ice age (1940's in American Jazz/music scene, then fifties over here) 1952 saw the first "Top Twenty" record lists.The new young trendies of coffee bars and burger bars started calling non-conformists "squares" if their taste in music wasn't er, "hep" enough. (Imagine Bobby Darin strolling the stage around clicking his fingers and adding "hep-hep" on the end of every song line...wow!.That's being "with it man".

By 1968, by which time rock and roll wasn't that new, "The Move were just sitting watching flowers in the rain " everybody was "man", singing "Age of Aquarius"talking of going to San Francisco and flower power ruled psychadelic dreams and no song words actually meant what they said but were quite often drug related (or at least somebody claimed the were.."Judy in the Sky with diamonds, Puff the Magic Dragon etc, etc..Course, Back in 64 Bob Dylan had already sent out the warning "The Times they are a changing"...how very right that man was. I don't think even he knew how much in his wildest dreams. "If I could turn back time..."
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm

When you ask what else has changed, I'm guessing you mean apart from the reach of the internet, proliferation of social media and the speed with which "information", true or false "news" etc. disseminates? When flower power came to the UK it used a yellow submarine and two stoned carrier pigeons, man.

If I had an adverse opinion of an MP in 1967, I'd have to meet them to let them know or write to them. Nowadays people just do that over Social Media. Lots has changed and is continuing to do so.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm
When you ask what else has changed, I'm guessing you mean apart from the reach of the internet, proliferation of social media and the speed with which "information", true or false "news" etc. disseminates? When flower power came to the UK it used a yellow submarine and two stoned carrier pigeons, man.

If I had an adverse opinion of an MP in 1967, I'd have to meet them to let them know or write to them. Nowadays people just do that over Social Media. Lots has changed and is continuing to do so.
Actually I was just talking purely about youth and language/slang Worthy, not world events..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Actually I was just talking purely about youth and language/slang Worthy, not world events..
Ahh I see - I suspect folks calling other folks names has been going on since the beginning of time (and it's not all one way traffic) - remember the wrinklies outcry over flower power, mods and rockers, punks, teddy boys - society's falling in - yadda, yadda.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:34 am

‘Fighting like ferrets in a bag’ as EU tries to plug Brexit cash hole
UK’s withdrawal has left £62bn hole in bloc’s purse for the next seven years
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ost-brexit

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So much for the united front of the EU, all the bullshit laid to rest, it was all about the money!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:53 pm

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:45 pm
So what else is new? I'm reckoning the nonsense language started back in the 49th ice age (1940's in American Jazz/music scene, then fifties over here) 1952 saw the first "Top Twenty" record lists.The new young trendies of coffee bars and burger bars started calling non-conformists "squares" if their taste in music wasn't er, "hep" enough. (Imagine Bobby Darin strolling the stage around clicking his fingers and adding "hep-hep" on the end of every song line...wow!.That's being "with it man".

By 1968, by which time rock and roll wasn't that new, "The Move were just sitting watching flowers in the rain " everybody was "man", singing "Age of Aquarius"talking of going to San Francisco and flower power ruled psychadelic dreams and no song words actually meant what they said but were quite often drug related (or at least somebody claimed the were.."Judy in the Sky with diamonds, Puff the Magic Dragon etc, etc..Course, Back in 64 Bob Dylan had already sent out the warning "The Times they are a changing"...how very right that man was. I don't think even he knew how much in his wildest dreams. "If I could turn back time..."
The times they are a changin....the whole thing is they didn’t. Everything that song represented and meant not a thing of it happened or changed. A year or so later Dylan was penning stuff like My Back Pages showing he realised how futile expecting, hoping and campaigning for that sort of change was.