Day after St Valentines day massacre? Bolton v Wycombe Home, Sat 15th Feb. 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Day after St Valentines day massacre? Bolton v Wycombe Home, Sat 15th Feb. 3-o'clock.

Post by dave the minion » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Course I'm not related to Keith - don't have any beef with the fella, but no great allegiance either.

I just think we need a sense of perspective. Ever to occur to anyone that we couldn't get a better manager as we couldn't aatract or afford one??

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Day after St Valentines day massacre? Bolton v Wycombe Home, Sat 15th Feb. 3-o'clock.

Post by dave the minion » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:01 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:48 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:34 pm
there is absolutely nothing for the fans to be optimistic about, its depressing and at the moment there is absolutely no hope or plan that things will improve.

Try telling that to a Bury fan and see how much sympathy you get. Personally, the fact that the club exists is reason enough for me to be optimistic.
Nah, not having this.

Almost like saying be grateful you have a terminal disease cause you could already be dead.
Would you rather not have a club any more then, instead of having one and hoping/being optimistic that at some point in the near future we might be able to see light at the end of the tunnel??

No one's expecting us to be in the Premiership in 3 years (well, no one should be expecting that...), but FV have been in charge less than a year and I don't need to remind people how things looked before they were involved do I. Christ, give them, and the whole management team a chance, rather than judging them over a short season where they were screwed before they even started.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:01 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:38 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:19 pm
..... this is league fecking 1 with some awful football teams.

If Hill's not sacked tonight FV are either really not arsed about this season, completely clueless or just skint.

May I remind you that we are one of - if not the most - awful of those football teams you mention

Look, I know its dog shite at the moment, but where does this ridiculous sense of entitlement come from? For the first month of the season we only had a squad of about 5 senior players and almost - very very almost - ceased to exist.

Since then we've had to beg, borrow and scrape the barrel for players. We're relying on cast offs from clubs around us, so why are people surprised we can't compete? Yes we lack quality - who of any quality is likely to want to come to us, and even if they did want to, I suspect we wouldn't be able to afford them. Just because FV stepped in to save us doesn't mean we are instantly competitive and a couple of seasons away from promotion to the big time again. We were so close to going bust that the rebuilding will take many years I fear....

This.

I ultimately don't believe Hil's the right man, but be in no doubt these players have limited scope to improve.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm
Course I'm not related to Keith - don't have any beef with the fella, but no great allegiance either.

I just think we need a sense of perspective. Ever to occur to anyone that we couldn't get a better manager as we couldn't aatract or afford one??
Fella, how do you know that we couldn't get a better manager ? we appointed Hill & Shitcroft after 5 mins just because they were Bolton born, FV don't have a clue about the football side of things.

Sense of perspective FFS come on, how much more shit do we have to put up with - do you just accept mediocrity, we need hope that things could improve but at the moment I see no sign of that. I have a ST but I haven't been for the last 2 home games & probably won't again this season. Wycombe had lost there last 5 away games and hadn't scored in the last 6 - guess what they did today.

How much more shit do you expect BWFC fans to put up with ?, oh I forgot we should just be so grateful to have a team', however abysmal & clueless that team may be.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:08 pm

We're either the most unfortunate team in football or a complete joke. This is League One and we have a magnificent stadium (which we may never fill again) and a history of pride as a football club.....Right now we're the latter and not looking like changing it. In my 80 years I've never given up on Bolton....I'm very near it now....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm

Fella, how do you know that we couldn't get a better manager ? we appointed Hill & Shitcroft after 5 mins just because they were Bolton born, FV don't have a clue about the football side of things.
I don't know if we could have got a better manager or not to be honest mate. I don't recall a massive long list of top-notch candidates being rumoured to be in the running, but maybe that's my error. I also recall an awful lot of people being really pleased with the appointment at the time, which suggests that there was a logic to it, and if this has proved wrong then fair enough.

If there was a willing, better manager out there who could take us forward then I'd happily see Hill go tomorrow, but I somehow suspect its not that easy.
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sense of perspective FFS come on, how much more shit do we have to put up with - do you just accept mediocrity, we need hope that things could improve but at the moment I see no sign of that. I have a ST but I haven't been for the last 2 home games & probably won't again this season. Wycombe had lost there last 5 away games and hadn't scored in the last 6 - guess what they did today.
I don't accept mediocrity at all - far from it, and I'm (nearly!) as pee'd off with the whole thing as you, but I also have an acceptance that after the last umpteen years of bad management, this is our level for the foreseeable. We don't have a entitlement to be any better than we are, shiny stadium or not. We're an almost bankrupt shit team. I don't like it one bit, but that's who we are

And its your perogative not to go again this season, but bit of a waste of money buying a season ticket don't you think?
Bertie Wooster wrote:
How much more shit do you expect BWFC fans to put up with ?, oh I forgot we should just be so grateful to have a team', however abysmal & clueless that team may be.
Kind of, yes. We need to put up with the amount of shit that is commensurate with the situation we are in - we are a shit team, with a shit financial status, and with a shit squad that we can't invest in in any meaningful manner. I don't like it one bit, but I am grateful we still exist, yep.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm

<Like>

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 pm

Today was the day that I lost any faith I had in Hill. We're going backwards.

Nsiala wont be here next season. He's no better than Zouma. Emmanuel, who's had an alarming dip in form was rightly substituted at half time. Great, we have a right back on the bench in Brockbank. No. Better we break up the midfield that had dominated theirs in the first half and shove Lowe to full back.

There's no rhyme or reason, or even an eye on the future in Hill's decision making.

Zouma, Brockbank and Edward's will all probably get fired off in the summer and we'll get another batch of loanees who are no better.

I worry that we're on the Owen Coyle road, where we hope he can't feck up too much before either his contract is up or we can pay him off.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:32 pm
Changed the rules. Only a yellow if it's a pen as well as a genuine attempt to win the ball. Unfortunately.

Ah yes. Forgot about that. That said, I need to see it again before being convinced that it was a genuine stab at getting the ball. All their lad had to do after rounding Mathews was to roll it into the most open of goals.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:02 pm

Being organised and effort costs now't and yo don't need to be the best players to frustrate and grind out other teams, not the best, but in this division there ain't that many.
All down to the manager and his attitude.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Seriously, please will you all listen to Hill's post match interview & please tell me that this village idiot knows what he's doing.

Hill out & out now, what a absolute waste of time this person is, totally incompetent.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:19 pm
I have to ask, Is Zouma so much worse than these other CB's ?
Indeed. We have to discuss Jack Hobbs. When I saw that he was in today's starting line-up I thought - fair enough, he'll be charged with keeping Akinfenwa quiet. As it turned out, Nsiala ended up looking after the big lot whilst Hobbs spent 90 minutes having both his lack of mobility and lack of ability exposed by their other lad, like bright pink polka dots against a battleship grey background.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:20 pm

I wasn't there today, but I heard it was dreadful, particularly in the 2nd half. My thoughts:

- Whilst there are mitigating circumstances in terms of Hill fielding a consistently losing team, we seem to be losing without meaningfully impacting any of the games. We are consistently going 2-0 down in games, we are consistently conceding goals towards the end of the first half. One has to ask if Hill is losing or has lost the players?

- Because we have some decent players. Matthews, Emmanuel, Nsiala, Lowe, L.Murphy, D.Murphy, Dodoo are all decent players at L1 level. And Fleming, Hamilton, Politic and Darcy are all young players with good ability. We shouldn't in theory be hopelessly losing these games.

- Imho we shouldn't be letting our anger and disappointment get to the stage where we are throwing abuse towards FV. As well as showing incredible determination to save us from extinction, they are going to lose millions of pounds this season, and very likely in the subsequent seasons they are here, and are trying to put a structure in place. They aren't permitted by the EFL to throw money at it, even if they were inclined to do so. They were very pro-active in getting a management team and some professional players into the club at very short notice. I don't know what else we can expect from them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 am

More we lose, nearer this cnut is to being sacked
All positive! 👍

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 am

Two sub appearances with plenty of time for mellis
Two games where he hasn’t touched the ball
If we are paying him....we shouldn’t be

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 am
Ken? Is that you?! :lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:40 am

Wimbledon tickets on sale tomorrow. Will be taking the opportunity to watch us give another relegation candidate a leg up. And really piss Tranmere off.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 am
Ken? Is that you?! :lol:
Do not remember writing that! I think the point my drunken self was making was he doesn’t seem much cop this mellis fella. But it’s hardly helping what he is coming into!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:00 am

These highlights are an incredibly accurate portrayal of the game overall. The first part shows exactly how we moved the ball about in the opening 20 minutes or so - lovely to watch but with precious little end product. Then it just turns to shit. If you haven't seen the first goal then brace yourself, and, as per my initial instinct, Matthews was an incredibly lucky boy to stay on the field. If that's a genuine attempt to play the ball........ well!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:33 am

I think the yellow card for Matthews is correct. He slid in fairly enough but just got there second.

One of the big problems we have currently, in my opinion, is that with the exception of Politic we have no pace in the team. The same applies not just to physical speed but to quickness of thought too, as we can pass it around nicely but more often it's laboured rather than incisive. We had by quite a wide margin the majority of possession yesterday, as well as having more shots on target but it matters little when we're as blunt as we are going forward.