COVID-19/20 season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

COVID-19/20 season

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Understandably this topic is popping up all over the threads so I thought it might be sensible to combine it in one (on here, at least), dealing with the BWFC/football effects.

For future historians: on this fair Friday morning, the EFL and EPL (and UEFA) finally bowed to the almost inevitable and postponed all matches under their jurisdiction until Apr 3rd at the earliest. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867989

So what happens next? Only partly with tongues in cheek, many Bolton fans have suggested resetting the season and starting afresh next term. I don't think that will happen.

Others have suggested freezing the tables in time, calling those below the drop-dots relegated, etc. This would cause huge legal battles: it would literally be unfair if all teams in a league don't play one another the same number of times.

One interesting idea I saw was to shift the season later (the Euros will almost certainly be kicked down the road anyway), and abandon all cup competitions *next* season to get it back on track.

Interesting times, as the old Chinese proverb had it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19/20 season

Post by DJBlu » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:46 pm

If the season is null and void, I have a few questions.

Do we get another -12 points for the season that may replace this one?
Do Bury get reinstated as they got expelled from a league season that didn't exist?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm

I don't think they could declare the season null and void. As a minor thing, what do they do with playing records etc?

What they could do is abandon the season and call it finished as-is; there'd be a gap for cup winners etc – imagine the legal fights over prize money unawarded, to go with the ones over TV contracts unfulfilled - and an almighty furore over league tables.

What about Tranmere, with a game in hand but three points behind AFC Wimbledon on the safe side of the dots?

What about the playoffs - do we just call the highest placed team the winner? In that case, what about Wycombe, who are currently 8th but only one point behind 3rd with a game in hand?

What about Villa, 19th in the uber-lucrative Premier League but only 2pts behind 16th with a game in hand?

What about qualification for the European-competition gravy-train, especially if the cups are cancelled?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:51 pm

One trusts that Doncaster's whining pricks will be up in arms about this?! :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:57 pm

It starts: BT Sport not offering refunds to customers despite football suspension

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... suspension

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm
I don't think they could declare the season null and void. As a minor thing, what do they do with playing records etc?

What they could do is abandon the season and call it finished as-is; there'd be a gap for cup winners etc – imagine the legal fights over prize money unawarded, to go with the ones over TV contracts unfulfilled - and an almighty furore over league tables.

What about Tranmere, with a game in hand but three points behind AFC Wimbledon on the safe side of the dots?

What about the playoffs - do we just call the highest placed team the winner? In that case, what about Wycombe, who are currently 8th but only one point behind 3rd with a game in hand?

What about Villa, 19th in the uber-lucrative Premier League but only 2pts behind 16th with a game in hand?

What about qualification for the European-competition gravy-train, especially if the cups are cancelled?
Why can't they declare it null and void. Records would be "season did not finish".

Next season would then start with teams where they were at start of 19/20.

I get that has implications - huge ones. But IF season cannot be completed and its more than a remote possibility - you don't have many options and that is surely one strong option there?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:08 pm

I must admit, I can't see beyond Insane's scenario above.

If footy is immediately played after the current suspension ends, then we're still likely to run well into June and the issues that brings with it - cancelling Euros, extending playing contracts etc

I think it's more likely that the suspension will be extended and then the season will be declared null and void. The lawyers on Merseyside will be very busy!

The Prem and EFL starts again in August, all being well, with everyone in the same places as they were. There is every chance though that a few EFL clubs wont make it without the revenue.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:08 pm
I must admit, I can't see beyond Insane's scenario above.

If footy is immediately played after the current suspension ends, then we're still likely to run well into June and the issues that brings with it - cancelling Euros, extending playing contracts etc

I think it's more likely that the suspension will be extended and then the season will be declared null and void. The lawyers on Merseyside will be very busy!

The Prem and EFL starts again in August, all being well, with everyone in the same places as they were. There is every chance though that a few EFL clubs wont make it without the revenue.
I'm not saying it will happen, but I struggle as things stand to see season being played before June - Euros will get pushed back. Can't see football happening until we're past peak of infection period - and remember there was talk of sport events being banned when virus is close to peak because of strain on emergency services. Even behind closed doors matches need ambulance staff - and if in peak or close to peak of pandemic surely that isn't sensible?

So assuming season doesn't conclude by June....what is least impact on league? Probably calling it all off and starting a fresh in August or maybe even a month later.

They could concoct all manner of other ideas and things to finish it - I don't know. But I suspect IF games reasonably can't be played they are facing legal challenges galore whatever they do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Miles, miles more chance of legal trouble if they just end the season now than if they cook up some other method and push that through.

Whatever happens will be a bodge job, but it doesn't have to be a botch job too.

By "least impact on League" you appear to be ignoring the possibility of them getting sued into bankruptcy. And remember that some of these clubs may have other reasons for wanting to attack a weakened Premier League, or especially UEFA. Those reasons are money and power.

End the PL season now and Man U will launch a class-action lawsuit with Spurs and Arsenal (and Wolves and Sheffield United, both of whom have serious foreign money behind them) for loss of potential CL earnings. And on it goes.

Football's happy enough to arse about with the calendar to fit in a World Cup in winter. Something will happen.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm

I actually agree with BWFCI & HG on this. Its highly doubtful that they will resume on 3rd April or even before the official end of the season in May, therefore they will probably have to declare this season null & void. They can't continue to play through the summer as it will have to much of an impact on next season, players contracts etc.

I also don't think that they can end the season now, with so many games left & points to play for - and with so many unknowns in regards to promotion, relegation, play offs etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm
Miles, miles more chance of legal trouble if they just end the season now than if they cook up some other method and push that through.

Whatever happens will be a bodge job, but it doesn't have to be a botch job too.

By "least impact on League" you appear to be ignoring the possibility of them getting sued into bankruptcy. And remember that some of these clubs may have other reasons for wanting to attack a weakened Premier League, or especially UEFA. Those reasons are money and power.

End the PL season now and Man U will launch a class-action lawsuit with Spurs and Arsenal (and Wolves and Sheffield United, both of whom have serious foreign money behind them) for loss of potential CL earnings. And on it goes.

Football's happy enough to arse about with the calendar to fit in a World Cup in winter. Something will happen.
I'm saying that in scenario no football is possible to August or later....

Whatever you do class actions are coming your way.

What's best chance of defending class action? Null and voiding league? I don't know but it was reported some premiership clubs were backing that....Frankly I'd find it hilarious. It might be the wake up call to the "big boys" they've needed for a long time. The tears in Merseyside would be delicious.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm

And Leeds !

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm

The other problem they're going to have, is not everyone will come out of the other side at the same time (for their European competitions) - they've picked an arbitrary date, but at that juncture, Spain might be full on whilst England hasn't really kicked off...Who knows

But similar at the microcosm level, Bristol might be through the other side a lot quicker than London for example...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm
The other problem they're going to have, is not everyone will come out of the other side at the same time (for their European competitions) - they've picked an arbitrary date, but at that juncture, Spain might be full on whilst England hasn't really kicked off...Who knows

But similar at the microcosm level, Bristol might be through the other side a lot quicker than London for example...
Indeed. And players, club officials, managers etc will be coming down with it over a period of months like everyone else.

I think there is a possibility the season cannot be finished without cancelling next season. And I'm certain that would be the death of many many teams and the EFL itself, probably the PL too.

So someone needs to come up with a method that minimises the risk for the leagues and I'm not sure there is one. Which is why I can see null and void happening - clubs might vote for that - only a handful would definitely not.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:30 pm

They'll play the whole thing out online using FIFA and a load of PS4s. Televised of course. Bolton's player will be a nine year old schoolgirl from Farnworth who'll keep us up spectacularly.

I'm deadly serious.
Businesswoman of the year.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm
They're not going to make a decision for a while yet. The EFL aren't renowned for speedy responses to tricky situations. If come July there's still no football being played, what's the best compromise bearing in mind there's no fair solution?

Making the season null and void then would be less controversial than declaring the current placings the final position and promoting and relegating all those that occupy the relevant places now. The only other alternative I see, is this season just carrying on where we left off until completion and adjusting the subsequent seasons over the next couple of years.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:21 pm

Cancel the season.
Cancel relegation.
Cancel the points deduction.
Cancel Accrington away.
Cancel Hill.

Easy.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:41 pm

Premier league source, unnamed, being quoted as saying they feel unlikely season will be completed as things stand. The whites are staying up....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Just as we were in the middle of an unbeaten run too!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 pm

If it was declared null and void, you can just imagine the wailing from across the Pennines next season if we're not made to start the season on minus 12 again