Where are you going tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Where are you going tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:32 am

So, this evening, and for the first time ever, I was assigned the responsibility of looking after my 16 year old nephew. Of course, I did what any decent uncle would do and took him to his first Wildhearts gig :D :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 pm

The Union Chapel Islington, a working church, community centre and gig venue. Tonight it's Dave Hause, US singer and guitarist. Springsteen influenced rock.
Looks like a really nice place to watch a gig, but like Albert Hall in Manchester.
Few beers, forget about football!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 pm
The Union Chapel Islington, a working church, community centre and gig venue. Tonight it's Dave Hause, US singer and guitarist. Springsteen influenced rock.
Looks like a really nice place to watch a gig, but like Albert Hall in Manchester.
Few beers, forget about football!
Only just seen this, I was there too!

Hope you enjoyed it.

DH first came on my radar when I saw him play the Revival Tour in 2011 (feck me, time, eh). 3 of my all time favourite musicians and him playing each others songs, having a great time and he stood out. I think his is my favourite voice I've ever heard.

I've a lot of bad things to say about the church (as an institution, not the UC) but one thing they are good at is acoustics! Perfect combination for me.

Being utterly selfish I'd have a few more oldies and a Loved Ones song but not going to happen on an album tour. May have been a little moist-eyed at the Frightened Rabbit tribute dropped into Bearing Down as well.

Lovely stuff.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 pm

I first saw him on the Revival tour as well, probably same year. It was Ragan, Fallon and Andriano when I went. (In Manchester). Great venue, those pews though! Northcote was excellent too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Same tour, though I saw them in London.

I was a big Alkaline Trio fan (Andriano), then graduated through them to Hot Water Music (Ragan) while at uni. Then massive Gaslight Anthem (Fallon) fan when they came along.

That remains probably my number 1 gig of all time (pushed only by Frank Turner at the Roundhouse). And easily my favourite musical moment is all three of them on stage playing '59 Sound when Brian snuck in a chorus of my favourite Trio song, Warbrain, which itself contains a reference to my favourite Hot Water Music song, Trusty Chords. It sounds wanky and meta and muso but was a lovely moment that summed up the collegiate nature of that show.

But I still remember we were talking about Dave Hause's voice as we walked out. Then got into his band, The Loved Ones, who are great fun (very American post-punky).

Ah, memories :D

Union Chapel is great, especially for that kind of thing. Would love to see someone like Neko Case there. But yeah, not comfy! And no booze in the church bit, boooo.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm

Need to do more gigs while I'm here in London. Watched Rival Sons at Brixton, that was excellent. Want to check out some of the Camden venues.
Also watched Tensheds in a pub in Surbiton. He's on tour with Beans on Toast right now. Brilliant blues pianist and singer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Bit late as I know that there aren't that many tickets left but if you get chance to see Shirley Valentine staged by The Octagon at the Library Theatre then you must go. Mina Anwar's monologue is the best I've ever seen. A richly deserved standing ovation at the end. It's on your doorstep, folks.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm
It's on your doorstep, folks.
:shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm
It's on your doorstep, folks.
:shock:
:lol:

I did actually think to write (well, in the main) :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 am

Or not going. Stiff Little Fingers have postponed the remaining dates on their current UK tour. 2,000 50/60 year old blokes of questionable health, sweating away in tightly packed venues? I don't see what the issue is here at all?! :conf:

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm

...nowhere. Not tonight, not tomorrow night, not at Easter, not any time in Spring, not over the summer...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:53 pm

I'll be down the pub!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:20 pm

I've got batting practice this evening. Is there a more quintessentially English response to a crisis than by playing cricket? :)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:20 pm
I've got batting practice this evening. Is there a more quintessentially English response to a crisis than by playing cricket? :)

Going down the pub?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Dining room, Kitchen, garage for a fag, toilet then bed :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:19 am

Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Going down the pub?
Always as well as, never instead of, dear Enoch :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:19 am
Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Going down the pub?
Always as well as, never instead of, dear Enoch :D
Aye, clearly not a good grasp of cricket. Generally pub after, but when the summer monsoons hit, sometimes during. :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Thought about the pub at the bottom of the garden but it's a bit nippy out there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm
Dining room, Kitchen, garage for a fag, toilet then bed :D
Haven't smoked for over nine years now, but at times like this I sometimes think longingly about puffing contentedly on a pipe-ful of Benson Hedges or Clan tobacco. I won't of course, but it gives a reality to pipe-dreaming... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Went out on a walk with my mum tonight for the first time in ages. We were walking my dogs down the village high street (one each) as I had picked up a hose from a friends garden and was carrying that too and had just turned a very narrow corner (old village pavements a few feet across or non existent in some places) when a car revved its engine making a throaty noise and my rescue dog who mostly walks ok on the lead suddenly tugged my mum towards it (doesn’t like the noise of them or motorbikes and I hadn’t reminded her) she kept hold of him, bless her, but lost her balance and fell on the floor, thankfully onto the very narrow pavement and not into the road. She’s 65, in good health and has fine mobility but it did wind her and she’s pulled her shoulder. I feel awful. Could have easily ended in a trip to the vets, hospital, something worse happening. :cry: The spooky thing is I came back home and recounted it all to the rest of the family and son number 1 said “that’s strange, whilst you were out I imagined Grandma would get pulled over by the dog” :shock: