Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Adding to the earlier list of released players - it's here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27117#p1091094 but I won't quote it as it's hyuuj - are a few more possibilities.

In D3, still waiting on Ipswich, Tranmere and the four play-off contenders. D4: Exeter, Northampton (play-off finalists), Colchester (playoff semis).

League One

Doncaster
Released

Kieran Sadlier
Devante Cole
Alex Baptiste
Alex Kiwomya
Negotiating/Contracts offered to
James Coppinger
Matty Blair

League Two

Oldham
Released

Kielen Adams
Desire Segbe Azankpo
Marvin Kokos
Chris McCann
Zak Mills
Javid Swaby-Neavin
Gevaro Nepomuceno
Jamie Stott
Scott Wilson
Given short-term "COVID contracts"
Johan Branger-Engone
Zeus De la Paz
Tomas Egert
Mohamed Maouche
Christopher Missilou

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 pm

When God was a boy, I featured in a side that played out from the back. As I recall, our keeper only used his feet for standing on.

Don't get this obsession with keepers that think they're sweepers, I want a keeper that can keep and for a side playing out there's no issue with a fella that can throw/roll a ball 30 yards.

As Prufrock said, Mathews makes rash decisions. If that can be coached out of him then he'd do for me, for now.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Baptiste lives just round the corner from me and he looks in good shape. He's out running most days whilst I'm walking the dogs. He'd be an experienced head at the back, but I can't forget the five penalties he gave away in his last season with us. Plus, his Mrs had a brand new Evoque delivered the other week and I'm betting the payments on that'd swallow up a decent chunk of L2 wages.

We need some experience in there, preferably at CB and an older head as a holding midfielder to play some of the kids off. It's going to be interesting to see if Evatt can get players in early, or those without a club hang on until the last few weeks hoping for a spot in L1 with a higher salary cap.

The other option is loanees again, but do contracted players who are loaned out count against the home club's salary cap??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:20 pm

Couldn't believe Crawford when it was announced. Too good for us in League 1! As others have said, real show of intent. I also liked Dodoo and Emmanuel last season and think they'd really benefit from the Evatt way from what I've read/heard.

Rumours of Spearing. What do people think about that?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:16 pm
The other option is loanees again, but do contracted players who are loaned out count against the home club's salary cap??
Good question, dunno, but IIRC last season we weren't allowed to pay loanees wages Because Embargo.
Branagan wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:20 pm
Rumours of Spearing. What do people think about that?
Predictable 2+2age, I'd guess, but it could be right. Anything's possible. Would he be happy with £1.2k (ish)?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:27 pm
League Two

Oldham
Released

Kielen Adams
Desire Segbe Azankpo
Marvin Kokos
Chris McCann
Zak Mills
Javid Swaby-Neavin
Gevaro Nepomuceno
Jamie Stott
Scott Wilson
Given short-term "COVID contracts"
Johan Branger-Engone
Zeus De la Paz
Tomas Egert
Mohamed Maouche
Christopher Missilou
Well, I've never heard of him, but for the name alone I hope we sign Zeus De la Paz!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:10 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:54 pm
Well, I've never heard of him, but for the name alone I hope we sign Zeus De la Paz!!!
Ha, I did laugh out loud.

Among the loanees Oldham have returned are Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, who was MUFC's U21 Player of the Year in 2016 (beating James Weir among others), and a certain Felipe Morais. I think the Postman's still got a year on the three-year contract Crawley gave him when he left us. (He's 34, since you ask - two months older than Alex Baptiste.)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:27 pm

Devante Cole's career hasn't panned out as many thought it would when he was scoring regularly for Fleetwood. He's got a lot of L1 experience yet played for a lot of clubs for a 25 year old. He might be worth a look at?

It's a no to Spearing for me. For what we shelled out on wages for him, I thought he was pretty average at passing and winning the ball. I'd far rather see Lowe stay.

Baptiste could work. We definitely need experience at the back and the lad could play. Whether he'd fancy coming back to the place where the then manager criminally refused to play him in his best position, I dunno.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:27 pm
Devante Cole's career hasn't panned out as many thought it would when he was scoring regularly for Fleetwood. He's got a lot of L1 experience yet played for a lot of clubs for a 25 year old. He might be worth a look at?
While I'm not against checking anybody out, Andy's Lad basically had two good months at the start of 2017/18, scoring seven in the first 10 games and five in the subsequent 30 – or 11 in the subsequent 83 to date across five clubs. Maybe there's a player there, and you imagine he has roots round here. As you say, he has League One experience - in fact he hasn't played in any other division bar the Scottish Prem (four goals in 19 in the first half of last season for Motherwell, who were third when he left for Donny in January).
Harry Genshaw wrote:
It's a no to Spearing for me. For what we shelled out on wages for him, I thought he was pretty average at passing and winning the ball. I'd far rather see Lowe stay.
I can understand that. Spearing should be a touch above at this level, but he's 32 so are his little legs still working? As for Lowe, it'd be good continuity, he's flexible and well-liked, but again I wouldn't weep if Evatt looked elsewhere.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Baptiste could work. We definitely need experience at the back and the lad could play. Whether he'd fancy coming back to the place where the then manager criminally refused to play him in his best position, I dunno.
Plenty of water under plenty of bridges since. We're on our fifth manager since that lad! Bigger problem would be legs (again) and cash.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:39 pm
I think there have to be tempered expectations. The very best teams look good playing this style, but you don't have to drop far below very best for it to become shit scary. England have generally looked pretty good under Southgate, but to see McGuire knocking it to Stones is fcuking genuinely frightening. And by our standards those are two pretty skillful footballers..I'm all for more pressing and a higher line but I have more limited expectations of Boltolona.
The other thing is it’s one thing going to Barrow and doing it when they’ve not been in the league for 50 years...expectations virtually non existent. Still a huge achievement to do that in non league. But I’d wager easier than here where if after a few games we’ve not done very well and during a home game our centre backs split to get the ball from the keeper are pressed and give it away for their midfield player to run through and score...it’s very different then...where fans will already be screaming for you to go or change or whatever....

Clearly it’s possible to do. Other clubs have. But it might rely on a bit of luck with the right players as much as great judgement.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Right, Nixon's been busy. If you don't believe him (and I don't always think he's on the money), feel free to ignore the rest of this post.
BOLTON. Best current offer for Eoin Doyle. SWINDON toiling to match money. MANSFIELD and SALFORD also trailing on this one.
Asked "You fancying Swindon chances in this al?", he says "Not really". Asked "surely the fact he played with and briefly for Evatt at Chesterfield is a massive pull factor in this?", he says "Yes". Asked "In your opinion Alan will he be at Bolton or Swindon?", he replies "Bolton".
Bolton wanted Doyle for weeks. Played a big part in management search too. Who could get the best out of him etc. So that killed off Bowyer and helped Evatt. Among other things.
Asked if "bolton got some signings this week or are they still a bit off?", he replies "Ultra busy".
SUNDERLAND. Keen on Jay Spearing after left BLACKPOOL. TRANMERE were and BOLTON might be. Solid free.
CARLISLE. Trying hard for Jamie Devitt return. BOLTON hanging around that one too. Fair bit of life in League Two just now ...
Devitt's a new name on me. Irish attacking midfielder, turns 30 tomorrow. Again, played with Evatt at Chesterfield but has also played for just about every club north of Birmingham: Hull, Darlo, Shrewsbury, Grimsby, Bradford, Accy, Rotherham, Grimsby again, Chesterfield, Morecambe, Carlisle, Blackpool and Bradford again.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Spearing a strange one for me. Not sure I'd go back there. How old is he now?

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:03 pm

Iles now saying Doyle very close. Statement of intent
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:08 pm

Anyone got a chant for him?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:56 pm
Spearing a strange one for me. Not sure I'd go back there. How old is he now?
Turns 32 in November. As I say, for me it's whether he's got the legs and is happy to play for a grand a week (he'd get more at Sunderland under Parky). But I suspect it may be an agent getting busy with the drumsticks.

Iles on Doyle: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... oin-doyle/

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:08 pm
Anyone got a chant for him?
"Beano...."

(Which reminds me - for the first time since the Jimmy Pip interregnum we now have a manager whose name fits the "In fact we f*ckin' love it" chant...)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Another name linked: Antoni Sarcevic. Just turned 28, 6ft 1in, creative midfielder. Italian and Serbian by ancestry but Mancunian by birth, at City to 15, then 100+ games each for Fleetwood and Plymouth. It says here the Plymouth fans called him the "Manchester Messi"... he's out of contract, they offered him an extension but he turned it down and left... he wants to move back north...

http://argyle.life/opinion/antoni-sarce ... es-argyle/
Speaking of character, Sarcevic responded excellently to question marks over his level of involvement in the side after Ryan Lowe’s appointment as manager last summer.

Initially, he was considered perhaps not technically refined enough to be a second number 8 in Lowe’s ball playing 3-4-1-2 system, even though he has obvious qualities.

Conversely, although no less effective in my opinion, it is the more technically gifted Danny Mayor, who has played the role of facilitator, whilst Sarcevic has used his strong running and tenacity to clinch the top of the Argyle scoring charts with 11 goals and 6 assists in all competitions, his best since a breakthrough 15 goal season at Fleetwood in the same division six years ago.

Within those eleven goals, it is the stunner at Salford and the curler that won the game at Forest Green that spring to mind, but perhaps most fittingly his final Home Park goal, in front of the fans that he had built such a connection with, a penalty in the 2-1 win over Crewe, is the one that ultimately clinched promotion.

131 appearances 20 goals 15 assists, one Antoni Sarcevic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm

The thing I'm really encouraged by is the owners and management team seem to have a plan and seem determined to deliver it. It doesn't feel like "no money" as had been suggested and doesn't feel like us trying to just settle in League 2. Of course what happens on the pitch will be the test, but happy with the way we're going about it at the mo.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm

Sarcevic has a great reputation and would be another coup. Him, hopefully Doyle and Crawford would be a real statement of intent.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm
The thing I'm really encouraged by is the owners and management team seem to have a plan and seem determined to deliver it. It doesn't feel like "no money" as had been suggested and doesn't feel like us trying to just settle in League 2. Of course what happens on the pitch will be the test, but happy with the way we're going about it at the mo.
It’s almost as though having a former agent as your director of football and leaving them to work full time during the Covid crisis wasn’t all such a bad idea after all...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm
Sarcevic has a great reputation and would be another coup. Him, hopefully Doyle and Crawford would be a real statement of intent.
Indeed. To the supporters, to other players and (for what it's worth) to the division.

Centre-backs are being looked at as well, apparently (and fairly obviously, as we have none bar Brockbank). Which got me thinking about Kean Bryan, which in turn got me wondering just how many of the January signings were Hill's and how many were Phoenix's. If the latter, we might stand a reasonable chance of renewing the better ones, especially when selling the New Bolton - promotion intent, footballing manager.

We borrowed five players in January. I've said before that Sheffield United might not get too many other options of a relatively local tryout in a ball-playing back three for (Mancunian) Kean Bryan, but with Evatt's nod Phoenix might also go back for Brandon Fleming as a hard-working wing-back, while Ethan Hamilton is also a free option now. Personally not that bothered about Toto Nsiala and I wouldn't known Anthony Georgiou if I tripped over him.