Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 am

I agree whole heartedly with the point but brought Branagans career to an end? He was still giving us stirling service 7 years after the rule was introduced.
Really? As I recall it buggered his legs up.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:47 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I agree whole heartedly with the point but brought Branagans career to an end? He was still giving us stirling service 7 years after the rule was introduced.
His knee(s) was fecked in the end wasnt it? I'm not sure if that was as a result of the back pass rule though. Despite Jussi's heroics, Branagan is still my favourite ever Wanderers keeper
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:47 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

His knee(s) was fecked in the end wasnt it? I'm not sure if that was as a result of the back pass rule though. Despite Jussi's heroics, Branagan is still my favourite ever Wanderers keeper
Mine too. And whereas Jussi never had a problem in putting his foot through the ball, his inability to keep it on the pitch used to do my bleedin' 'ead in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:36 pm

A new name: Manny Onariase. 23yo Dag & Red centre-back, ex West Ham & Brentford development, couple of dozen lower-league games on loan, couple of regular seasons at fifth-tier Daggers.

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... -youngster

Leyton Orient also interested and would be a lot more local for the Croydon lad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Joe Bunney is in the training video the club have just posted. Assume we're either having a look or he's signing up soon?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:27 pm
Joe Bunney is in the training video the club have just posted. Assume we're either having a look or he's signing up soon?
Or he's picking his car up from the panel beaters
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
it says the footage and stills are from last week - think he was in on the Tuesday. They’re being far more selective or indeed secretive than normal, possibly to keep faces under wraps during trials and talks. As I’ve said it wouldn’t astonish me to see Bunney signed but maybe not as first choice, and maybe from his POV he’s happy to stay in the picture.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
it says the footage and stills are from last week - think he was in on the Tuesday. They’re being far more selective or indeed secretive than normal, possibly to keep faces under wraps during trials and talks. As I’ve said it wouldn’t astonish me to see Bunney signed but maybe not as first choice, and maybe from his POV he’s happy to stay in the picture.
Is it not just because they are training in groups of 5 because of Covid and therefore they just filmed one session? To minimise everyone's exposure generally? Not much point splitting the groups up if then a cameraman is hanging round from group to group?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Possibly. But personally I doubt it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:57 am

BN: "Despite being one of those released at the end of last season Joe Bunney has been involved, although it is a training arrangement with the left back as things stand."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... move-gear/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:12 pm

I literally have no idea whether he is any good or not. Less said about last season the better! I vaguely recall him being pretty happy to have signed - think he was fairly local? Left wing back as well so would suit a 343/352

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:12 pm
I literally have no idea whether he is any good or not. Less said about last season the better! I vaguely recall him being pretty happy to have signed - think he was fairly local? Left wing back as well so would suit a 343/352
Well, he's made 162 league appearances, of which 135 are at third-tier level – for Rochdale, Blackpool and Northampton, then two for us in February: the last 22+ minutes of a 2-0 home loss to Wycombe (replacing Brandon Fleming at 0-2) and the first 52 of the 2-1 loss at Blackpool (he left with us 1-0 down, before Kean Bryan's late equaliser was rubbed out by an even later winner).

He started off as an attacker and was converted by Hill to an attacking full-back, so he should take to the wingback position. I haven't seen minute one of him but if he were a newcomer I think we'd be reasonably excited (even more so than last season), so let's see.

EDIT Here's what I wrote on here the day after he (and everybody else) signed last autumn.
JOE BUNNEY (free; one-year contract)
Gawky Gorton-born left-sider who turns 26 next month. Came up through non-league (Lancaster, Kendal, Stockport, Northwich) before Keith Hill signed him for League Two Rochdale in 2013. Played 144 times over five years, including bang on 100 in League One. Joined (tier-three) Northampton in Jan 2018 (18 games) but they went down and he was homesick; joined Blackpool on loan for the first half of 2018-19 (six games) then Rochdale for the second (16 games). Upon his return to Deepdale, Hill said this:

“Joe knows the way that we want to play the game and he knows that he has got a bright future in the game. He has got to grasp what I’ve been preaching to him since I first embarked on our journey together when we recruited him from Northwich Victoria as a striker who was then converted to a wing-back/ left-back/ attacking full-back. It was important/ is important that players leave the stable environment that they have been brought up in so that they can go and see if there is difference with how the real football world acts. I think he has learned some valuable lessons and it’s good to have him back because there is a real appetite there and a desire. The one thing Joe doesn’t want is to have been relegated with Northampton and then to get relegated with Rochdale. It’s a brave decision from Joe to come back, as it is for all the players who have come in. There’s a realisation of where we are but there has been no reluctance from these players to come and join us and embrace what it is where are trying to achieve.”

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Tom White on a season-long loan from Blackburn. 23 year old midfielder who apparently went to Barrow on loan for a couple of months last season. Well chuffed to be signing for the biggest club on Earth etc.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm
Tom White on a season-long loan from Blackburn. 23 year old midfielder who apparently went to Barrow on loan for a couple of months last season. Well chuffed to be signing for the biggest club on Earth etc.

He's more than well chuffed: he's "buzzing"!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Doesn't appear to be a wing back or a goalkeeper, and only on loan, so probably the most underwhelming of the lot so far. Clearly someone IE rates from last year, so I'll have to keep the faith and take it that Tom fits somewhere in the master plan.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:32 pm
Doesn't appear to be a wing back or a goalkeeper, and only on loan, so probably the most underwhelming of the lot so far. Clearly someone IE rates from last year, so I'll have to keep the faith and take it that Tom fits somewhere in the master plan.
He's a central midfielder in the last year of his contract and its a season long loan, so we can sign him for free next year - from digging around apparently he's very highly rated, very energetic, gets about all over of the pitch, a 90 minute non stop box to box midfielder & only 23 as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Tom White said:
I’m absolutely delighted to have joined the club. It’s been in the offing for a while but there was only one place I wanted to come this summer and I’m buzzing it’s finally done. I’ve got a really good relationship with the gaffer. His record last year speaks for itself and it’s an honour that he’s asked me to come here with him because I know how good of a manager he is.
. .
Ian Evatt said:
While Tom might not be a name known to our fans, I know him very well as I had him last year at Barrow. He is the complete midfield player who can run, pass, dribble and break up play. He is a great acquisition to our squad.
DSB said (on page 2 of this thread):
Which leaves Matt Platt, and to a lesser extent Tom White and Olly Dyson, as the closest to a continuity candidate from the Barrow buffet. White is a "combative and ball-playing midfielder" also loaned from Blackburn, who'd signed him from Troubled Gateshead. He joined in November and had his loan extended in January to the end of the season. After his March goal against Dag&Red, Evatt said “We’ve been trying to get Whitey a bit higher up the pitch at times and he took his goal ever so well." Dyson is a 20-year-old striker borrowed from Huddersfield's academy, who made 13 starts and 15 sub appearances last season. Platt seems the most likely to me.
We'll see on Platt - we know where he is, might be chasing other targets first. Note that Jordan Turnbull signed for Salford today, so scratch him off. New Barrow boss David Dunn had expressed possible interest in borrowing both again: "I think it is something we’ll look into. Tom and Matty did very well for Barrow last year, so the fans will have a connection with them anyway. It’s very important that the recruitment process is right – nowadays it’s more important than ever to get that right, so we’ll be working really hard to attract the right players to the club to give us the best chance."

A Barrow fan, asked about White by a Blackburn site in March, said:
Tom has forced his way into the starting eleven with ease, dislodging Jason Taylor from the side and has been a consistent component of our midfield since. He has a real sense of confidence on the ball which highlights exactly why his future is far beyond the fifth-tier. The fact he has remained present on the teamsheet so regularly speaks volumes in the confidence Ian Evatt has in Tom given he isn’t afraid of tinkering with the midfield three when tactical adjustments need to be made. I think any team would be fortunate to have Tom in their ranks on a permanent basis as it appears that there is a great sense of trust in his abilities.
Here's that Tom White goal v Daggers: .
After that goal, with Barrow 2-1 up, Evatt substituted White in injury-time. I'm guessing that was cute management, giving him chance to get a round of applause from the fans.

And finally, to echo what Bertie said: this loan should take White to the end of his two-year Blackburn contract, so if all goes well he should be free to sign for us. (As he joined Blackburn at 22, I don't think we'd have to pay them a development fee - but by next summer we should be out of embargo...)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 pm

Ah yes, well that does make sense then. It does appear that 4 of the 6 players we've signed are central midfielders (Comley, Sarcevic, White, Crawford), so I think we're well and truly set in that department.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 pm

We seem to be acquiring "complete midfielders". That conjures up some household names, compared to some we've had recently. I might have to temper my expectations a little :-) But happy with the way we're doing business at the moment.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:14 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm

He's more than well chuffed: he's "buzzing"!
My mistake. I got caught up in the giddiness 😊