Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:29 pm
Plenty talk now about LIAM GORDON, a 21yo Guyanese international leftback or leftwingback at Dagenham & Redbridge. Was linked with Wolves about the tome they signed young Mathieson from Rochdale for the other side; at the time it was said plenty of EFL clubs had watched him. Curious then that Daggers had loaned him down a division to Dartford for part of last season, but hey-ho - trust the process, and so on.
Twiiter sleuths noticed that Shazza's son is now following both Santos and Gordon, which does seem like a reasonably strong sign that we're at least interested.

Again, two players who I previously had no familiarity with, but both have intriguing profiles and do look to fit with the master plan. With Gordon being a LWB, would that make the prospect of signing McFadzean less likely? I was quite excited by that suggestion when DSB raised it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 am

Zouma signing for Swansea according to some twitter hack. Shame - there’s potentially a player in there. Possibly a defensive mid...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:36 am
With Gordon being a LWB, would that make the prospect of signing McFadzean less likely? I was quite excited by that suggestion when DSB raised it.
I think we'll need two on each side or competition and cover, so an established player (eg Fadz) and an upcomer (eg Flash Gordon) should do the job.
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 am
Zouma signing for Swansea according to some twitter hack. Shame - there’s potentially a player in there. Possibly a defensive mid...
Not for me, Clive. Def-mid is possibly the most diligent of all positions, so it's not one for lapses of concentration. Zouma has potential, but I'm not convinced he's consistent enough – as a defender (or goalkeeper, or def-mid) you can't play well for "most" of the time then have a brainfart that costs a goal. I wondered whether he might make a wingback, because his confidence and speed coming forward seem to me his most impressive assets. Anyway, I wish him luck but I don't mind him leaving.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 pm

Liam Gordon tweets his farewell, to plenty of pleasant responses.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm

Liam Gordon clipreel – cue usual caveat about "YouTube players", and self-evidently it's edited to show him in the best light. But from the looks of it, at his best he's capable of being the right position defensively, of driving down the line, of picking a pass (including a simple one inside to an unmarked midfielder), and of threatening the oppo. Not sure he's gonna bag a hatful - bit jigsaw, TBH - but he's young yet and TBF it's not his job.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:38 pm

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:28 pm
Liam Gordon clipreel – cue usual caveat about "YouTube players", and self-evidently it's edited to show him in the best light. But from the looks of it, at his best he's capable of being the right position defensively, of driving down the line, of picking a pass (including a simple one inside to an unmarked midfielder), and of threatening the oppo. Not sure he's gonna bag a hatful - bit jigsaw, TBH - but he's young yet and TBF it's not his job.

Can’t judge on a YouTube...but looks like a wing back..,which is good...if we are going to be playing with wingbacks...

Looking at his career I’d say it’s slightly worrying that he was at Dagenham playing national league yet went on loan this year to Dartford in National League South....never played league football...trust our recruitment but seems like a risk for a critical position.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:38 pm
Can’t judge on a YouTube...but looks like a wing back..,which is good...if we are going to be playing with wingbacks...

Looking at his career I’d say it’s slightly worrying that he was at Dagenham playing national league yet went on loan this year to Dartford in National League South....never played league football...trust our recruitment but seems like a risk for a critical position.
He played in the majority of their games in 2018/19 but for the first half of this year found himself behind the more experienced (and presumably more defensive) Alex McQueen in Peter Taylor's plans. Taylor had been there when Gordon got an extended contract ("he’s learning all the time and I believe he has a very bright future") and was good enough to continue the lad's development by loaning him out to a grateful Dartford – but as soon as Taylor went, stand-in coach Jody Brown recalled him: "that was the first thing I did".

I'll be honest and say that when I first heard of the lad I was a little disappointed/worried too. And if he were our only left wingback, I'd be crossing my fingers. But as I say I think we'll get two for each side and in that case, a more experienced head with a thrusting young back-up sounds right to me. As you say, trust is important, I think.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He played in the majority of their games in 2018/19 but for the first half of this year found himself behind the more experienced (and presumably more defensive) Alex McQueen in Peter Taylor's plans. Taylor had been there when Gordon got an extended contract ("he’s learning all the time and I believe he has a very bright future") and was good enough to continue the lad's development by loaning him out to a grateful Dartford – but as soon as Taylor went, stand-in coach Jody Brown recalled him: "that was the first thing I did".

I'll be honest and say that when I first heard of the lad I was a little disappointed/worried too. And if he were our only left wingback, I'd be crossing my fingers. But as I say I think we'll get two for each side and in that case, a more experienced head with a thrusting young back-up sounds right to me. As you say, trust is important, I think.
I'd rather take a risk on a wing back than sign a full back and try to convert him. Not sure we have the squad spaces to have 4 wingbacks on the books but its a critical position. Our recruitment strategy is clearly thought through. But after the initial - wow of Doyle and Sarcevic its starting to look a bit like a hodge podge. The sort of random names we've seen in the past under other managers that have arrived with a bit of promise but ultimately underwhelmed playing at the Macron or whatever its called now. I guess it can go either way. Hope it works out - with this one, assuming he signs, he is a good age, and looks to be a fit for the position we need. However, we know of lots of signings like that in the past that haven't worked.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm

^^ We've signed two "complete midfielders" since Doyle and Sarcevic...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'd rather take a risk on a wing back than sign a full back and try to convert him. Not sure we have the squad spaces to have 4 wingbacks on the books but its a critical position. Our recruitment strategy is clearly thought through. But after the initial - wow of Doyle and Sarcevic its starting to look a bit like a hodge podge. The sort of random names we've seen in the past under other managers that have arrived with a bit of promise but ultimately underwhelmed playing at the Macron or whatever its called now. I guess it can go either way. Hope it works out - with this one, assuming he signs, he is a good age, and looks to be a fit for the position we need. However, we know of lots of signings like that in the past that haven't worked.
As you're well aware, we're operating under a pretty restrictive salary cap, so it's quite surprising that we managed to sign Doyle and Sarcevic at all. Players like Taft, Comley and White were much more what I was expecting, and surely similar to what we're likely to fill the rest of the squad with.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm

I see your happy pills have worn off, BWFCi... :D

Anyway, speaking of potential etc, everyone's best mate Nixon says "Name of BILLY CRELLIN now on goalkeeper radar. Top kiddie at Fleetwood. Where keeper coach Gilkes came from. Poss loan." He's 20 (DOB 30.06.00), 6ft 1. Capped by England U17/18/19/20. Everton bid £200k for him last summer and were told to up it or bog off.

Contracted till 2022, he's been loaned to sixth-tier FCUM (Aug 2018) then fifth-tier Chorley (Aug 2019) but each time was recalled before September was out; in the first instance, Joey Barton didn't want his youngster playing for a losing team ("No disrespect to FC United but they are getting beat every week – I can’t see how that helps his development.") In the second instance, his final game was a 3-1 home defeat to Evatt's Barrow. Crellin made his EFL debut for Fleetwood last November (the game after we beat them 2-1) and played five straight league games in which Fleetwood only lost once but didn't keep a clean sheet; in the last game at Rochdale he suffered a collision with Rhys Norrington-Davies, who was stretchered off. Crellin lost his place to Alex Cairns but is still well-considered.

But is he our first-choice keeper? Well, Barton's habit of cutting short loans doesn't inspire confidence that he'd be happy with the lad warming our bench, and TBH a 20-year-old is not what I'd expect in goals. I'm sure Gilks knows him well (and Evatt has watched him at least once). But it would worry me. We'll see...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:33 pm

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Anyway, speaking of potential etc, everyone's best mate Nixon says "Name of BILLY CRELLIN now on goalkeeper radar. Top kiddie at Fleetwood. Where keeper coach Gilkes came from. Poss loan." He's 20 (DOB 30.06.00), 6ft 1. Capped by England U17/18/19/20. Everton bid £200k for him last summer and were told to up it or bog off.

Contracted till 2022, he's been loaned to sixth-tier FCUM (Aug 2018) then fifth-tier Chorley (Aug 2019) but each time was recalled before September was out; in the first instance, Joey Barton didn't want his youngster playing for a losing team ("No disrespect to FC United but they are getting beat every week – I can’t see how that helps his development.") In the second instance, his final game was a 3-1 home defeat to Evatt's Barrow. Crellin made his EFL debut for Fleetwood last November (the game after we beat them 2-1) and played five straight league games in which Fleetwood only lost once but didn't keep a clean sheet; in the last game at Rochdale he suffered a collision with Rhys Norrington-Davies, who was stretchered off. Crellin lost his place to Alex Cairns but is still well-considered.

But is he our first-choice keeper? Well, Barton's habit of cutting short loans doesn't inspire confidence that he'd be happy with the lad warming our bench, and TBH a 20-year-old is not what I'd expect in goals. I'm sure Gilks knows him well (and Evatt has watched him at least once). But it would worry me. We'll see...
Well it’s been a particularly bad day but no...my point is that there are people who think we are just buying our way out of the league. I think Salford might be trying to do that...we are assembling a squad based on data science and hoping Evatt is good enough to blend them into something special. In our position it’s as good a strategy as you will get. Wasn’t criticising, just it was inevitable under our restrictions we’d have to look beyond the obvious.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:33 pm
Well it’s been a particularly bad day but no...my point is that there are people who think we are just buying our way out of the league. I think Salford might be trying to do that...we are assembling a squad based on data science and hoping Evatt is good enough to blend them into something special. In our position it’s as good a strategy as you will get. Wasn’t criticising, just it was inevitable under our restrictions we’d have to look beyond the obvious.
Well, I agree. And I hope your Friday night is better than your Fridayday, champ.

Club's hinting at an announcement in the morning which may be the unveiling of the two fifth-tier signings, Santos and Gordon. As you say, they might not have the cachet of Doyle and Sarce and Crawford but we're the embargoed Trotters, not the Harlem Globetrotters. And I think we'll have a go, with some "name" players and some new friends, and a nice new style of football. Not convinced we'll go up but I'm confident we'll enjoy the ride, for the first time in a while.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 am

SIGNING KLAXON

Club confirm Liam Gordon.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... pens-deal/
LIAM GORDON has become the sixth player to join Ian Evatt’s Bolton Wanderers revolution. The pacey left sided defender has signed a two-year deal at the University of Bolton Stadium to join fellow new recruits Eoin Doyle, Antoni Sarcevic, George Taft, Brandon Comley and Tom White.

Born in Croydon, the 21 year-old was previously with Dagenham and Redbridge where he made 50 appearances, netting three goals. He had spells as a youth player with Fulham and AFC Wimbledon and is an international for Guyana with whom he has won five international caps since making his debut in 2019.

Speaking about his move to Wanderers, Gordon told bwfc.co.uk: “I’m really pleased to get the move sorted. I played against the gaffer when he was at Barrow and after speaking with Tobias (Phoenix) about coming here, I wanted to get it done quickly. I’m looking forward to wearing the shirt and hopefully helping the club to win promotion this season.”

Ian Evatt added: “We are delighted to have brought in Liam, who is a player I kept an eye on last season in the National League. He is extremely quick and has good quality with his left foot. He is a young player with a bright future.”
Liam Gordon.jpg
Liam Gordon.jpg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Video interview clip:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:55 am

View from a Daggers blogger (Dagblogler?):

https://dagnificent.weebly.com/daggers- ... of-our-own
...he established himself as an exciting, supremely talented and above all else hugely reliable performer, evidently capable of playing at a higher level in the pyramid...

...he leaves Dagenham having been a firm fan favourite and I can say with a degree of certainty that there will not be a single supporter who would disagree that he deserves this opportunity...

...Nobody will forget how he stepped up during a period of great difficulty for the club, producing some incredibly mature performances that evoked an immense sense of pride amongst the fanbase. On a more sour note, nor will anybody forget the inexplicable decision to loan him out to Dartford at a time when not only was he our best left-back by a significant distance, but when we were also lacking conviction in both boxes...

...He has left a lasting impression on the fanbase for which he will be fondly remembered in the future. Having not long turned 21, with over two years of valuable first-team experience behind him, the future is certainly bright and Daggers supporters will be with him all the way.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 am

Wolverhampton Wanderers reportedly had an interest in him during the last transfer window, with them seeing him as "a potential star in the making" according to THIS ARTICLE.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am

Transcript of Liam's official-site interview.
Welcome to Bolton - you must be delighted to have signed for the club.
Delighted to get it over the line. It was talked about for a while. Just happen to get over the line. Get it sorted.

How did the move come about? And when you heard of the interest, were you keen to get the move done?
We played against the gaffer before when he was at Barrow. And I spoke to Tobias for a while and talked to my agent about it, just wanted to get it over the line as soon as possible.

What did you know about the club already?
There's so much that you know about the club. It's a Premier League club, no doubt. And obviously it speaks for itself that we're in this league for whatever reason. But the main goal is to get of it as soon as possible – this season, preferably.

What sort of things has Ian Evatt said to you since you've been here and before you made the move?
He just said to me that he likes the style of my play and the way that he wants to play suits me best. He wants me to be attacking, on the front foot and aggressive. That was the main thing that drew me towards coming here.

And you've trained today, how has that been?
Training was tough. Obviously I haven't been at training because of the circumstances. But it's good to be back out there, I think I've just been waiting to get back out there since March, so I'm happy to be back out.

As a young footballer, how exciting is it to make a step up to play for a club of this size and at this level?
Any footballer of any age, Bolton speaks for itself, it's a massive club. So me being young as well, it helps, but I'm grateful for this opportunity, delighted to be here, and looking forward to the season.

What can you tell us about the type of player you are and your main attributes?
Going forward, playing left-back or left wingback to support the wide man, just be on the front foot and aggressive. Just use my speed, strength to get round players.

What have the last few months been like for you?
The whole corona thing hasn't been ideal for football but I've been working as much as I can, been training with my friends, training by myself, just delighted to be back out there today and getting ready to go.

The club's aim for this season is well documented: it's to get promoted from this level. What are your aims from a personal perspective?
Promotion is the main thing. There's no other thing that I want apart from promotion.

You'll be keen to show people that you're capable of making the step up.
Great opportunity for me to come in and show my talent, showcase my talent. I just want to prove to the fans, to everyone else that I can do it and they can put their faith in me.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm

The lad comes across really well. I hope he does the business for us and learns to develop his game.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:53 am

Nixon again stating we’re keen on this lad this morning. Like you, DSB, I would be mildly surprised and concerned if we went for a 20 year old loanee (from the mighty Fleetwood) as our number 1 keeper. Would seem a huge risk to me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:30 am

He seems to be highly rated. My worry is relying on that capricious wazzock Barton not cutting short the lad’s loan after a month, for the third successive season.