BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm

I’ve been convinced by Prufrock that he (Darcy) will end up in central midfield, so right now I’ve got him pegged as one of the four contenders for the two central midfield spaces. But these things will be more fluid during the match - see Tom White’s quotes about how at Barrow the midfielders would alternate between who held and who pushed on, etc. So if you like you can add Ali and Politic into a pool of six for three places.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:19 pm
I’ve been convinced by Prufrock that he (Darcy) will end up in central midfield, so right now I’ve got him pegged as one of the four contenders for the two central midfield spaces. But these things will be more fluid during the match - see Tom White’s quotes about how at Barrow the midfielders would alternate between who held and who pushed on, etc. So if you like you can add Ali and Politic into a pool of six for three places.
It is a big season for Politic in my view - Evatt should suit him with style if not entirely with shape - but he needs to find what his role is in a football team IMHO. I'm very much on the fence with him - needs a significant step up - he's got the ability but its all in flashes and then he will disappear for whole games. I'm not sure where his role is (IMHO NOT at wingback) but it will be interesting to see where/if Evatt chooses to fit him in.

Darcy will hopefully play without being relied on week in week out - I think he still needs some protection. But I agree he can play in different roles - but very much depends on midfield balance - I'd not fancy him without some physical presence in there with him.

Even in a struggling side you could see a consistency with Darcy - you noticed when he was and wasn't playing - but Politic for me, even though a year advanced was the opposite - you sometimes forgot he was there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Yep, fair enough. Feels like Evatt will be “on it” for consistency and hopefully for development too. As I say it’s a shame we can’t keep the younger professionals around for experience but if they’d count against the embargo 23 then they need to be loaned out or we “lose” a place - with all best will I wouldn’t want us to have to rely on an 18yo. Darcy and Politic worth the risk IMO.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:49 pm
Yep, fair enough. Feels like Evatt will be “on it” for consistency and hopefully for development too. As I say it’s a shame we can’t keep the younger professionals around for experience but if they’d count against the embargo 23 then they need to be loaned out or we “lose” a place - with all best will I wouldn’t want us to have to rely on an 18yo. Darcy and Politic worth the risk IMO.
See I think the younger lads would be far better served playing some non league football than sitting on our U18s. Get them into the coal face so to speak. We're light years away from a championship or premiership side where you might want to develop your players in house more technically. We're in league two and seemingly there is more than a nod to that fact from Evatt in that whilst he clearly will try and build a footballing side - he's signing up massive lads for the back - assuming Santos rumour is true - but he, Taft, Delaney - its a big physical backline. I suspect that's not back accident. So I think the younger lads benefit from being exposed to football - because when they come back here they'll be stronger and fitter for it - and probably that's where they need to develop - most of the players I've seen from the younger end in the last two or three years have looked good enough footballers but physically way out of their depth. Some will remain that way others will develop either their physique or their games to adapt.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:58 pm

AA11A4CC-1DF2-433D-9851-D1D1D3A330AA.png
AA11A4CC-1DF2-433D-9851-D1D1D3A330AA.png (191.9 KiB) Viewed 2658 times

My thoughts on the current team. Squad is coming together nicely and if the season started tomorrow we’d be in better shape to field a competitive team than the majority of the league. It’s pleasing to see Evatt & co getting their business done early doors.

Priority is now on getting another forward in (Ben Stephens maybe, who apparently played against Atherton Colls on Saturday) and a starting RWB (Jak Hickman and Gethin Jones names touted there)

If we assume the squad size will be a max of 23 this season and that at least Senior, Graham and Thomason will go out on loan, that gives us another five or six further players that could/should be signing.

I have a feeling Bunney will be announced sometime this week, and he and Gordon will compete for the starting LWB spot.

Should be an exciting week ahead.

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:06 pm

What do you guys think about confirmed new 2 signings Ricardo Santos (2 year deal) and Billy Crellin (long loan)?
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:10 pm

Yeah I expect more names as the week goes on. I wonder whether we are waiting on Bunney while we consider other options - maybe McFadzean? I can’t really see any other reason to delay. Hickman is an interesting choice at RWB - he played there Saturday and seems to have been training a while but again we’ll see If he’s a stopgap while we ponder other options.

To an extent I feel the same with the younger players like Senior, Graham, Thomason and King’s Arms - Evatt has already mentioned the possibility of loaning them out so it depends whether we can get more bodies in the building. I think we might get one more centre-back in yet, although didn’t Hickman play there for Cov?

One more minor thing on your diagram - I think Taft will play left of Delaney because he’s much more comfortable on the ball and likely to carry it out than the Irishman.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:10 pm
Yeah I expect more names as the week goes on. I wonder whether we are waiting on Bunney while we consider other options - maybe McFadzean? I can’t really see any other reason to delay. Hickman is an interesting choice at RWB - he played there Saturday and seems to have been training a while but again we’ll see If he’s a stopgap while we ponder other options.

To an extent I feel the same with the younger players like Senior, Graham, Thomason and King’s Arms - Evatt has already mentioned the possibility of loaning them out so it depends whether we can get more bodies in the building. I think we might get one more centre-back in yet, although didn’t Hickman play there for Cov?

One more minor thing on your diagram - I think Taft will play left of Delaney because he’s much more comfortable on the ball and likely to carry it out than the Irishman.
Ah yes I forgot about King-Harmes, he looks an ideal candidate for loaning out at this moment in time as he seems the least likely to fit into Evatt’s system, being more of an out-and-out winger and less of a wingback.

The only thing I know about Hickman is that Hereford fans seemed to rate him when he played there so it’s not against the realms of possibility that he could step up from NLN to be a backup option in LG2. Would be concerned if he was starting come September though.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:02 pm

I agree with DSB that Taft will play on the left of a 3 the majority of the time as he's a natural left footer. In fact didn't Evett say that in an interview somewhere?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 pm

As is Delaney (but not from memory Edwards who had appeared there in some "draft" teams).

Think Taft said in his interview though he'd played on the left of a back three, and that he liked stepping out. Evatt has also said recruitment is going to be position specific so I'd expect Taft to line up on the left and his understudy to be left footed too (first touch, body shape etc all make the pitch big).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 pm
As is Delaney (but not from memory Edwards who had appeared there in some "draft" teams).
I'm mysteriously sure I saw an Evatt quote, possibly when we signed Taft, of which the drift was "we've now got three left-footed centre-backs in the squad so that's a nice balance". I may be delirious or forgetful or both.

Anyway, here's where we're at in my opinion, using Brommers' good idea of a pitch diagram and again working on the assumption that the 23-man squad to which embargo limits us will basically contain of two XIs playing 3-4-1-2 plus Gilkes as a spare goalkeeper.
BW.PNG
BW.PNG (189.5 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
I've encased in question-marks the names of Joe Bunney and Jak Hickman, who we know have been training with us since pretty early on, plus RWB Gethin Jones, who was declared a done deal last night by Sky Sports' Pete O'Rourke – hardly a conclusion-jumper by nature. As I've said, I suspect we'll get two wingbacks on each side - a more experienced one and a promising upcomer. Hickman could be the latter on the right; the older fella on the left could be Bunney, who's played almost all his career at League One level, but I do wonder if we're talking to Callum McFadzean who's "pulling a Sarce" - did well for Plymouth last season but wants to move back north for family reasons. (I also note that FGR seem fatalistic that they won't get a contract extension agreement with Joseph Mills, just about the only League Two left-sider to outpass/create McFadz last season.)

Note that the embargo limits us to 23 professional contracts minus loaned-out players, which is why I suspect one or two of the younger and less ready kids may be sent out. We have now have 20 professionals contracted including GK Matt Alexander, CB Adam Senior, CM Sonny Graham, CM George Thomason and CM Callum King-Harmes (as well as Politic and Darcy, who we all hope will be genuine squad members), and I think they may be sent out on work-ex loans to beef them up and thin our numbers. I suspect Evatt may want another experienced centre-back - possibly Baptiste if the money's agreeable - but we really need a forward or two plus another wingback or three... and after three more signings, every in requires an out.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 am

Would anyone be averse to Baptiste returning as I reckon he could still do a job as a dedicated CB? Although he wouldn't be first choice for me.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:13 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 am
Would anyone be averse to Baptiste returning as I reckon he could still do a job as a dedicated CB? Although he wouldn't be first choice for me.
Assuming he's not bogarting too much of the wage bill, and we're confident he'd stay fit, I think he ticks a couple of boxes. At the minute we're a bit light in defence on deep experience - they're all sub-200 games and lower-league or non-league, whereas Baptiste is 500+ with half of them in the top two divisions. Could be a calm head, Evatt's on-field lieutenant sat in the middle of defence. LoV's attendee on Saturday said "Baptiste looking solid. Showcasing a good range of passing." That might be important for Evatt.

Of course, he could be a liability, giving away penalties when he's not in the sick bay. That's the worry. Hopefully Evatt will be clear-headed about his old mate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:33 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 am
I think he'd make a lot of sense experience wise. If he's fit enough that is. I mean he would be (assuming fit) a class above league 2....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:22 pm

Well now. Another two signings, right-sider Gethin Jones and left-footed centre-back Reiss Greenidge, and the picture changes again.
BW300804.png
BW300804.png (128.38 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
I don't know Greenidge so it may be that he's an understudy and Delaney takes his place - we'll see. Edwards and Brockbank just about hanging on in there but this must surely mean Adam Senior needs to be loaned out, along with Sonny Graham, George Thomason and Callum King's Arms. We now have 22 contracted players, excluding GK coach Gilks whose registration might be saved for an emergency; IMO we need another two strikers and two wingbacks so that means loaning out three or four youngsters for our sake as much as theirs.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:40 pm

After years of being on a downward trajectory -- I feel as though a corner is going to be turned
Am very excited now for the new season .....
Bring on the Whites
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:55 pm

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:22 pm
Well now. Another two signings, right-sider Gethin Jones and left-footed centre-back Reiss Greenidge, and the picture changes again.
BW300804.png
I don't know Greenidge so it may be that he's an understudy and Delaney takes his place - we'll see. Edwards and Brockbank just about hanging on in there but this must surely mean Adam Senior needs to be loaned out, along with Sonny Graham, George Thomason and Callum King's Arms. We now have 22 contracted players, excluding GK coach Gilks whose registration might be saved for an emergency; IMO we need another two strikers and two wingbacks so that means loaning out three or four youngsters for our sake as much as theirs.
Get another striker in on your question mark! :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm

Well now.
889E7B5E-1825-4D6F-89CD-A6DD99DA8030.png
889E7B5E-1825-4D6F-89CD-A6DD99DA8030.png (188.2 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Just two more to go IMO.

A left wingback, probably more League experienced; I’m still thinking possibly McFadzean, the Plymouth fella who wants to move back north, although there have been rumours about a loan move for Bristol City’s 21yo George Nurse, who spent last year on loan at Newport. Bunney is also an option, but as I say the delay can surely only mean we are chasing other options - I can’t imagine he’s a haggler.

And then a fourth striker, probably IMO a young player released by a club up the leagues. Would have to be released rather than one who turned down a contract, as that would require a development fee we can’t pay. If Evatt doesn’t fancy Faal (and can shift him out on loan) we might get a couple in.

In my diagram, which is guesswork, I’ve reinstated Delaney above Greenidge - just a hunch but also because the first XI there is now almost all League-experienced, bar Crellin and Gordon (who is yet to know the rival for his place). It strikes me as a really thoughtful balancing act between those “proven” (if often unwanted) performers and the backups, who may not all work, but if they do...

This whole thing feels like the future, and while we won’t always get this sort of squad reboot, you wonder what next summer will be like if this season goes well.

Good days to be a Wanderer, and we deserve it more than most after the decade we’ve had.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:17 am

I reckon you're right on Greenidge. Only YouTube but he looks more mobile than Delaney.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:05 am

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm
Well now.
889E7B5E-1825-4D6F-89CD-A6DD99DA8030.png
Just two more to go IMO.

A left wingback, probably more League experienced; I’m still thinking possibly McFadzean, the Plymouth fella who wants to move back north, although there have been rumours about a loan move for Bristol City’s 21yo George Nurse, who spent last year on loan at Newport. Bunney is also an option, but as I say the delay can surely only mean we are chasing other options - I can’t imagine he’s a haggler.

And then a fourth striker, probably IMO a young player released by a club up the leagues. Would have to be released rather than one who turned down a contract, as that would require a development fee we can’t pay. If Evatt doesn’t fancy Faal (and can shift him out on loan) we might get a couple in.

In my diagram, which is guesswork, I’ve reinstated Delaney above Greenidge - just a hunch but also because the first XI there is now almost all League-experienced, bar Crellin and Gordon (who is yet to know the rival for his place). It strikes me as a really thoughtful balancing act between those “proven” (if often unwanted) performers and the backups, who may not all work, but if they do...

This whole thing feels like the future, and while we won’t always get this sort of squad reboot, you wonder what next summer will be like if this season goes well.

Good days to be a Wanderer, and we deserve it more than most after the decade we’ve had.

Hell yesss, Squad is looking good lads!!!!!
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.