BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Post by Dujon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:29 am

Oi!

What's going on here? Has the pandemic turned your collective brains upside down? Have you forgotten that you are football fans?

A real football fan is a pessimist A real football fan never, ever, praises the board, the playing staff or anything else to do with the club. A real football fan has always to hand a thesaurus dedicated to derogatory words and phrases. A real football fan is a deluded, narrow minded dolt.

Now that I have spelled it out for you GET BACK TO REALITY!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 am

Seriously. Big thanks to DSB for these updates.

Would be impossible to keep up without em!

Exciting times indeeed

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:26 am

I’ve had a bit of trouble meself!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm
Well now.
889E7B5E-1825-4D6F-89CD-A6DD99DA8030.png
Just two more to go IMO.

A left wingback, probably more League experienced; I’m still thinking possibly McFadzean, the Plymouth fella who wants to move back north, although there have been rumours about a loan move for Bristol City’s 21yo George Nurse, who spent last year on loan at Newport. Bunney is also an option, but as I say the delay can surely only mean we are chasing other options - I can’t imagine he’s a haggler.

And then a fourth striker, probably IMO a young player released by a club up the leagues. Would have to be released rather than one who turned down a contract, as that would require a development fee we can’t pay. If Evatt doesn’t fancy Faal (and can shift him out on loan) we might get a couple in.

In my diagram, which is guesswork, I’ve reinstated Delaney above Greenidge - just a hunch but also because the first XI there is now almost all League-experienced, bar Crellin and Gordon (who is yet to know the rival for his place). It strikes me as a really thoughtful balancing act between those “proven” (if often unwanted) performers and the backups, who may not all work, but if they do...

This whole thing feels like the future, and while we won’t always get this sort of squad reboot, you wonder what next summer will be like if this season goes well.

Good days to be a Wanderer, and we deserve it more than most after the decade we’ve had.
I gotta say that doesn't look half bad for L2 (thank you Sir)....proof will be in the pudding of course. Which of them have been singled out for "booing" - we need to know that as fans!

Quite happy here at the moment.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Delighted with our business so far but how are we, and any other EFL side for that matter, paying for this? Still no indication of when crowds will be allowed back in and we can buy STs
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 am
Seriously. Big thanks to DSB for these updates.

Would be impossible to keep up without em!

Exciting times indeeed
x2, thanks mate!
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Like the best tomato soup: now with an extra Bap.
D2069183-55E5-494C-ADDD-E8B5BB07884B-3692-000001862B81332C.PNG
D2069183-55E5-494C-ADDD-E8B5BB07884B-3692-000001862B81332C.PNG (188.76 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
I've added old man Alex into the middle of the back-line here; I don't think he'll play 40 games this season but I think in games we expect to dominate, and/or against opposition who aren't long-ball giants and thus don't necessitate the added aerial protection of Delaney or Greenidge, Evatt might prefer Baptiste's ability to pass (rather than dribble) out from the back. (Ilesy's analysis piece yesterday applauded the auld fella's appreciation of when to hold the ball and when to seek the quick out.)

Either way, his arrival makes five senior centre-backs, four signed by Evatt, and that must surely mean a loan for Edwards or Brockbank or even both - not to mention Senior, now seventh in the queue. As I say, it's a pity the 23-man squad restriction won't allow us to carry a kid or two, as I think Evatt would be good for them, but they're now past the U18 level that would be their main diet and probably need senior football in order to kick on.
“I still think we’re two or three light,” Evatt told The Bolton News. “I’d like to see another couple at the top end of the pitch and possibly some competition at left wing-back. Other than that, we’re not far away I don’t think.”
Agree we need a left wing-back - some say Greenidge could play there, and he can certainly carry the ball, but he looks more like a back-up for Taft on that side of the central-defensive trio. George Nurse, touted for a loan from Bristol City, has now gone elsewhere but we do still have loan slots open; however, with Flash Gordon impressing in his first couple of games, I wonder whether Evatt would prefer to develop our player instead.

I still suspect he'd like someone with league experience to battle with Gordon on the left; let's not forget that Joe Bunney has 161 league appearances, 134 of them in League One, and is a converted striker so he should be pliable into Evatt's idea of a "hybrid" player. Bunney's still training and playing with us, but the lack of contract suggests we're keeping options open. Calum McFadzean – promoted with Plymouth and Bury, briefly an Evatt team-mate at Chesterfield - left Argyle this summer as he (like Sarcevic) wanted to move back north - he's become a father; he still hasn't signed anywhere, and might be waiting for an offer nearer his home (thought to be Sheffieldish). Given the speed with which we've conducted our business, I can only imagine we've not signed Bunney because we're waiting for McFadzean or someone like him. (Joseph Mills, who I've mentioned as a possibility, has signed for Northampton.)

Then there's up front, where I fancy we'll need one more. Faal scored yesterday, which will have helped him, but still Evatt says "another couple at the top end of the pitch"... It's not yet clear who the trialist is that scored twice at Bamber, but some think it might be the lad Bright Amoateng, ex-Liverpool and Bury. A couple like that - unproven but keen to prove themselves - would fit the Evatt template: half his players oven-ready, half with the raw ingredients.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Interview with Alex Baptiste. Interesting to note that he picks out Reiss Greenidge (fairly certain he says Reiss and not ‘Reekz’, Ricardo Santos) as “a superstar in the making” when talking about the young players - 3:45 onwards.

Must admit I was sceptical when we signed Greenidge (and I still am) but that comment from Baptiste is certainly encouraging. Definitely one to watch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 pm

Definitely says Reiss, aye. I’ve heard from a decent source that Evatt/Phoenix have high hopes for Greenidge, and that although it’s early days he might be first-choice on the left of the three.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 pm
Definitely says Reiss, aye. I’ve heard from a decent source that Evatt/Phoenix have high hopes for Greenidge, and that although it’s early days he might be first-choice on the left of the three.
Intriguing, can’t wait for the season to start.

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:55 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 pm
Interview with Alex Baptiste. Interesting to note that he picks out Reiss Greenidge (fairly certain he says Reiss and not ‘Reekz’, Ricardo Santos) as “a superstar in the making” when talking about the young players - 3:45 onwards.

Must admit I was sceptical when we signed Greenidge (and I still am) but that comment from Baptiste is certainly encouraging. Definitely one to watch.
Great to see him signing again. He's experience will definitely help our young lads for the future.
Also, is it me or he just abuses saying "like I said"?? hahaha

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:55 am

F4i11uX wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:55 am
brommers95 wrote:

Great to see him signing again. He's experience will definitely help our young lads for the future.

He's forgiven "like I said" because he's BUZZIN!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:52 am

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 pm
Interesting as well given Taft seemed to me to be one who was nailed on to start (and given position specifics you'd think on the left). Well stocked there. Given the general experience + potential combo in each position it will be interested to see how many of the "potentials" can push their way in. Reiss might be the first.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:55 am
F4i11uX wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:55 am
brommers95 wrote:

He's forgiven "like I said" because he's BUZZIN!
hahah yeeeeesssssssssss

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Today's line-ups were interesting.

Iles put the team as follows:

Crellin (Alexander 58); Santos (Brockbank 58), Baptiste (Senior 58), Taft (Delaney 46); Jones (Hickman 52), Crawford (Politic 57 (Graham 88), Comley (White 46), Gordon (King-Harmes 57); Sarcevic (Darcy 57); Delfouneso (Trailist 59), Doyle (Faal 59).

However, while our midfield three might be fluid, I'm not sure that Sarce-and-Darce would have played at 10 in front of Crawford and especially Politic at 8... I think it may have been like this:
15B0014F-4FA4-4653-BE5C-4602B3B5027E-4957-0000024943F275A2.PNG
15B0014F-4FA4-4653-BE5C-4602B3B5027E-4957-0000024943F275A2.PNG (189.85 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Either way, what's interesting is that as we switch from "45 minutes each" to pushing them for fitness, we may be starting to see the bones of the first XI appear. With Greenidge absent, Taft started and Delaney came on for him in that wide role; wonder how impressed Evatt was, as Delaney is the only true senior player he inherited and a sale/loan can't be ruled out.

Sarce, Comley and Crawford should be the first-choice central three, however they align. Out wide, Gethin Jones' hat-trick of assists might hold off young pretender Hickman on the right, while Flash Gordon is the only real choice on the left - although King's Arms got a run there (presumably Bunney isn't on site). And the top two pick themselves - for now.

EDIT I sit corrected – Marc Iles's match report makes clear that Sarce did indeed play at No10 with Crawford in the two behind him. As Darcy and Politic replaced Sarce and Crawford on 57, it's open to interpretation which of the two played at 10 - but given Politic's injury, what's perhaps interesting is that Sarcevic could be a "senior" alternative at 10, if Crawford were unavailable, presumably with Tom White slotting into midfield alongside Comley.

Also, the ages of that "second-half" team on the image above: 18; 23, 18, 21; 18, 23, 19, 21; 20 (18); 23, ??.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 am

Politic out fert' season. feck!!!!

Can only wish him all the very best in his recovery. and hope that there's no lasting damage.

On the practical front I assume that our insurers will now pick up his wages for the period he's out. Does anyone know how this effects our squad player limit and wage cap?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:10 am

That's a real blow re Politic. I fully expected him to have a good season this year as he added decision making to his undoubted skill set. Poor lad. No idea re squad numbers. Anderson pulled a bit of a fast one getting Pratley excluded iirc so we may just have to suck it up.

Someone on here a while back (Insane?) said the insurance thing no longer happens these days and the club continues to pay. Presumably because of the sums involved :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:01 am

Given the Pratley Manoeuvre, I would have thought we can at least appeal to have him taken off our embargo limit. However, if we're paying his wages it will presumably still go towards the salary cap, which is fair enough - it's a fiscal limit, not a sporting handicap.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Not squad specific but just wanted to highlight the pitch. It's now closely resembling a billiard table. Hat tip to the grounds staff who consistently produce a quality playing surface.

If Evatt can play passing football on this...

Holker Street pitch.jpg.gallery.jpg
Holker Street pitch.jpg.gallery.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 2652 times

imagine what he can do on this

Macron pitch.jpeg
Macron pitch.jpeg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 2652 times

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:32 pm

Politic :( feeeeeeckkkkkkk mate!!!