Pre-Season Friendlies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pre-Season Friendlies

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:46 pm

Iles verdict includes Evatt quotes. Which have made me fall a little bit more in love.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -reaction/
I’ll have to repeat what I said last week – I’m a perfectionist and am I entirely happy? No. Yes, there’s massive improvement there but we are going to keep improving.

The downside to it was that this is a side that is going to create a lot of chances and we need to have a more ruthless edge. When we get ourselves three or four up it shouldn’t take your foot off the gas, you should want to really hurt teams. If you look at the very best teams – the Liverpools or Man Citys – they want to go and score six, seven, eight; they don’t stop. I want us to be in that mentality of being relentless, continuing in the same intensity and when we have got teams by the scruff of the neck that we strangle them.

This club has lost football matches for far too long and we absolutely have to get used to winning them again. Those habits start here. People say it’s a friendly. I’ve been a footballer and now I am a manager and I’ll tell you there is no such thing. You have to want to win every single game – and I want to win it like that.

We will get fitter, we will get better. We’ve had three weeks at it now but there’s loads to come. Final-third detail definitely needs to be better and we need to finish more of our chances. It’s nice to say that winning 7-0 rather than losing 7-0.

Defensively we still need to work a bit on that side of the game. We haven’t really done that yet because we have been working on getting the formula and foundations into the rest of it. Once we have that we can look at the pressing. There were bits and bobs there and we did it quite well, trying to win the ball high up the pitch.

It’s about avoiding that disappointment. When you give the ball away sometimes as a player it’s ‘oh, damn, I’ve given it away’ rather than going to hunt it back. That’s what I am trying to implement. If we can win the ball back high up the pitch then we will really hurt people with our pace.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:50 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1aR5ZqKDU[/youtube]

Hard not to like the sentiments that he's coming out with. Definitely impressing so far and seems like the most sensible and progressive manager we've had for quite some time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:39 pm

Certainly saying all the right things.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:44 pm

We're beating LUFC 6-0 after 55 minutes

That's Loughborough University FC - but never mind the quality, feel the width

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Although it's enjoyable seeing seeing the scoreline I hope we play teams a bit closer to League Two quality before the season starts.

So far we've played teams quite far down the pyramid:
Atherton - Level 7
Bamber Bridge - Level 7
Loughborough - Level 9-10

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Politic stretchered off with a knee injury apparently

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Tails07 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:32 pm
Although it's enjoyable seeing seeing the scoreline I hope we play teams a bit closer to League Two quality before the season starts.

So far we've played teams quite far down the pyramid:
Atherton - Level 7
Bamber Bridge - Level 7
Loughborough - Level 9-10
You'd think that will come later in pre-season. We seem to be concentrating on attacking shape first, then presumably ramp up the quality of oppo as we go along.

At similar points in previous seasons we've played against Scandinavian and Scottish part-timers so it's not vastly removed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:53 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm
One eye-witness cites "a lot of pain". Straw-clutching perhaps but bad knee injuries (ligaments and so on) tend not to be *that* painful, except emotionally. Best of luck to Dennis (although we're not yet 100% sure it is he).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:53 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm
One eye-witness cites "a lot of pain". Straw-clutching perhaps but bad knee injuries (ligaments and so on) tend not to be *that* painful, except emotionally. Best of luck to Dennis (although we're not yet 100% sure it is he).
Needed oxygen...not sure there are any crumbs of comfort there. Aren't we due some luck? I think we've had the worst luck of virtually any team in the leagues in the last decade...surely...just let us have a season without this.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Some are saying broken leg (which would hurt). Not confirmed yet.

Iles: "The youngster required oxygen and several minutes of treatment on the pitch towards the end of the Whites’ 6-0 victory at Loughborough University this afternoon. Politic went down in the 80th minute after closing down a defender and was stretchered off the field. He is currently being transported back to the North West for further medical treatment."

Good luck Dennis.

Oh and I would say Bury and Wigan also have a good case for "worst luck"... but yes, this is a blow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Iles: "The youngster required oxygen and several minutes of treatment on the pitch towards the end of the Whites’ 6-0 victory at Loughborough University this afternoon. Politic went down in the 80th minute after closing down a defender and was stretchered off the field. He is currently being transported back to the North West for further medical treatment."

Good luck Dennis.

Oh and I would say Bury and Wigan also have a good case for "worst luck"... but yes, this is a blow.
We've all had rogue owners but we've had consistent serious injuries, Ken Anderson, Owen Coyle, consistent serious injuries and finally Ken Anderson.

Speculating but oxygen sounds like a break to me - like you say ligaments or the like would hurt but not as much at least initially. Crumb of comfort you CAN be lucky with a break - plenty aren't but some can seem terrible but heal quickly and well. Good luck Dennis.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Well that's put a downer on my afternoon. I was hugely looking forward to seeing what Dennis could do in League 2 this season, and hopefully he will still be able to play some part. Best case would probably see him back in November.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:22 pm

That's dreadful news. I was really looking to him to push on this year. A break may be much better than a cruciate so long as it's a clean one. Get well soon Den
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 pm
I would say Bury and Wigan also have a good case for "worst luck"... but yes, this is a blow.
We've all had rogue owners but we've had consistent serious injuries, Ken Anderson, Owen Coyle, consistent serious injuries and finally Ken Anderson.
You realise Bury went bust? And that Wigan were taken for an unprecedented ride to relegation through malign intent?

Let's not get Four Yorkshiremen - all three clubs have had it bad, very bad indeed.

But let's hope this is just an outlier injury (the sort every club gets), because it certainly feels like everything else is on the up.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm

That's the highs and lows of pre-season. Injuries occur for any number of reasons, fitness not up to speed, trying too hard to impress, impulsiveness etc. I know we feel we've had a hex on us in recent years with regards to injuries but I bet there are other clubs fans who think the same.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Bugger. Reminds me of Chungy getting done by some none league clobbers a few (probably about 10!) years ago.

Right, total edit:
Evatt says:
“They are normally the worst ones, when there’s nobody in close proximity, and he had just gone to press the ball with the intensity we’re asking from him and that sort of thing can happen – a slight slip, and things can happen,”

Sounds like a ligaments job then 😕

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Good luck Dennis.

Speculating but oxygen sounds like a break to me - like you say ligaments or the like would hurt but not as much at least initially. Crumb of comfort you CAN be lucky with a break - plenty aren't but some can seem terrible but heal quickly and well. Good luck Dennis.

More straw clutching but Dennis is only 20 and I imagine he will be given much better treatment and rehab than the average man on the street so even if it is a break, we could still see him back for the second half of the season.

Here's to hoping it's just a minor scare though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I would say Bury and Wigan also have a good case for "worst luck"... but yes, this is a blow.
You realise Bury went bust? And that Wigan were taken for an unprecedented ride to relegation through malign intent?

Let's not get Four Yorkshiremen - all three clubs have had it bad, very bad indeed.

But let's hope this is just an outlier injury (the sort every club gets), because it certainly feels like everything else is on the up.
Yeah though I think luck isn't necessarily behind those other events - even Ken Anderson....anyhow it was just a joke. We're not exactly fortunate but I guess most clubs think like that - like the old 'Man city do things the hard way meme'. Yeah - I'm sure loads of fans of other clubs think they do things the easy way...I just haven't met any yet.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Official match report.

bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/report-loughborough-university-0-6-bolton-wanderers/

Goals:
Crawford (assist: Jones cross)
Sarce (Jones cross)
Taft (header from Crawford corner)
Delfouneso (Jones)
Gordon (Delfouneso, sort of)
Delfouneso (their 'keeper)

Hat-trick of assists in 52 minutes from Gethin...