creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:32 pm

Pi$$ed it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Never in doubt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Grand stand from Buttler n Woakes. Top stuff.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:03 pm

England? Winning the first test? Give over.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Woakes’ innings came from nowhere, he was averaging 5 this summer before today, which is odd as he’s a good batsman. But hasn’t looked it for a while. It’s why I didn’t agree with Warne saying we were a batsman light - team is well balanced (in terms of batting and bowling) but it does require Woakes to look like an all rounder.

Buttler - I know Worthy isn’t a fan but for me he’s got too much talent to be left out of an England side. He’s absolutely a better ODI player...probably imo the best ODI batsman I’ve ever seen. But he can do it in tests because technically he’s fine - and he can read a situation better than most. Honestly think it’s a question of confidence and he’s had a good summer with the bat at least. Averages 31/32 and let’s be honest if he got that up to mid 30s then not sure you can ask much more from a wicket keeper batsman.

What’s interesting is for all the stuff about test style batting the game was won today because Woakes and Buttler played like an ODI..not silly slogging but trying at least early doors to go close to run a ball. It shook Pakistan off their lines and lengths a little and I think was the reason we got over the line. When the pitch is tricky and ball is spinning from the footholes and rough there isn’t any rationale in batting for 100 balls for 30 runs because you are likely to be out at some point. I do think there is a balance, England bat too passively at times. When a spinner is dominating you need to be active in putting the pressure back on. It’s why I’m not convinced in Burns and Sibley as a pair...they often survive but get bogged down. One or the other is ok, I just think both in some scenarios leave you a bit toothless.

There is a side here that could be very very good, it misses a few components. They need to let Archer rip more, he seems like he’s being held back...we have enough who nibble it round, let Archer steam in and hit some heads....Bess is not quite there, yet. Pope looks good. If you go down the order I’d say it’s openers, spinner and arguably who keeps wicket that still up for debate.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:24 pm

Mate, I don't dislike Buttler. I question, as you do quite often, whether particular players are doing enough to merit their place. I'm a long way short of being the only person questioning Buttler's place in the team and after today would still question it.

I still question our openers, but on balance think they're the best two I've seen for a few years by some distance. They have frailties.

At 3, Root. Not at his best, still bagged 40 today.

Stokes. Had a poor test, bound to happen sometime, generally we lose when this occurs.

Pope, got a couple of very good balls.

Buttler, did brill with the bat, but could've lost us the game with the gloves.

Woakes, good series v WI, continuing.

Bess. Should watch a couple of spinners closely. Still not sure

Archer/Broad, pretty solid.

Jimmy, due a return.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:24 pm
Mate, I don't dislike Buttler. I question, as you do quite often, whether particular players are doing enough to merit their place. I'm a long way short of being the only person questioning Buttler's place in the team and after today would still question it.

I still question our openers, but on balance think they're the best two I've seen for a few years by some distance. They have frailties.

At 3, Root. Not at his best, still bagged 40 today.

Stokes. Had a poor test, bound to happen sometime, generally we lose when this occurs.

Pope, got a couple of very good balls.

Buttler, did brill with the bat, but could've lost us the game with the gloves.

Woakes, good series v WI, continuing.

Bess. Should watch a couple of spinners closely. Still not sure

Archer/Broad, pretty solid.

Jimmy, due a return.
Yeah no problem with questioning what they bring....I guess I just look at Jos and see someone with more talent that most of our side...he just needs to find his way in test matches...his average is 32 pushing 33 now which is looking respectable for his role and where he bats...but obviously his wicket keeping may be an issue...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Some quality bowling matched only be the dreadfulness of the slip catching.

Looking at the first one you think Sibley has fecked it by going for one that wasn't his. Looking at Burns' effort for the second you can see why Sibley went for it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:02 pm
Some quality bowling matched only be the dreadfulness of the slip catching.

Looking at the first one you think Sibley has fecked it by going for one that wasn't his. Looking at Burns' effort for the second you can see why Sibley went for it.
By slip standards, two absolute sitters. I don't think I've seen an easier one than the Burns chance in a long time. They're going to have to make it up with the bat...

From "howzstat"

Since 2018 England have taken 73% of their slip catching chances. Only Bangladesh have a lower percentage. Pakistan have taken 89% of their chances since 2017.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:18 am

I just looked at the Met's forecast for the Soton area; it looks a bit dire. Following of the game tonight has been taken off to-do list.
I was disappointed to find that the BBC is not allowing transmission to Australia of commentary for this series, particularly as the W.I. series was.
Last edited by Dujon on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:27 am

Dujon wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:18 am
I just looked at the Met's forecast for the Soton area; it looks a bit dire. Following of the game tonight has been taken off to-do list.
I was disappointed to find that the BBC is not allowing transmission of commentary for this series to Australia, particularly as the W.I. series was.
They shoulda stayed in tropical Manchester. :-)

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Aye, tha's right thur, lad.

It seems that the Met got things right this time. I've shifted to the commentary on the Lancs v Notts game which is available here. Mind you, it's as gloomy for Lancs at lunch as is the weather in the SE . Right, lunch is over, so I'll off and listen for a bit before putting head to pillow.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:56 pm

RSPCA: Sad.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:04 pm

Solid day today so far from England - good ton from Crawley to follow up the last rain affected match.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Fair feck*. Can't ask for much more than that. 1-0 up in the series with one to play. Win the toss and do as much as you can to make sure you can't lose.

A lot of the good of Michael Vaughan about Crawley I reckon. Looks like Christian Bale and Fernando Torres' love child.

Chuffed for Jos too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:51 pm

Crawley looked absolutely outstanding to me today. Has all the shots reads the situation and kept going past 100 something that is rare in English batsmen now.

Buttler having a really good summer with the bat too. Pair of them never looked in trouble.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Crawley's knock is really impressive. Buttler has had an excellent batting series against Pakistan. Was "ok" against WI. Think he's cemented his place. Still have plenty of doubts about some of his glove work.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Great ton from Buttler - well played that man.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Crawley's knock is really impressive. Buttler has had an excellent batting series against Pakistan. Was "ok" against WI. Think he's cemented his place. Still have plenty of doubts about some of his glove work.
Sky flashed up that Jos was averaging over 50 this summer. He was a bit rusty early doors with the bat but certainly has come good. If you say we’ve found a number 3 in Crawley, Buttler 6, Stokes 5 - you’ve then got Pope too...number 4 looks open for discussion...and I’m far far from convinced by Burns and to an extent Sibley.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:41 pm

A slightly more than satisfactory day at the mill, what? Jimmy heading for 600 wickets and great performances all round. 25-3 for Pakistan at days end, the rest you know. Lovely. :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?