Would you get an iFollow season ticket?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Would you get an iFollow season ticket?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:53 pm

For matchgoing fans, season 2020/21 is going to start very provisionally: behind closed doors, with as-yet undecided hostage-to-fortune ideas of when, how and how many fans can stream back through the turnstiles. And that's not even broaching the topic of away games, with travelling supporters likely to be sacrificed on the grounds of safety.

So, as we near arguably Bolton's most hotly anticipated season for a generation, would you get an online season ticket?

The EFL's iFollow streaming service has previously been available for fans to watch certain games (17 or so clubs aren't signed up; anything televised on Sky has been blocked from simultaneous broadcast on iFollow; nothing in the 2.45pm-5.15pm zone designed to protect lower-league attendances). I understand some Championship clubs gave free passes to season ticket holders for their post-restart games, and with the new campaign starting in similar circumstances, it will be interesting to see if clubs are permitted, and minded, to sell online passes. If nothing else, it's a bob or two in the pocket while the doors are shut.

It's a tricky question for the clubs to answer, but it's also a fascinating one for fans to ponder. With much of society having adapted to online versions of offline activities (some work, some hobbies, plenty of chat), would you get an online season ticket? Would you fork out a tenner a game, or say £150 a season, for the right to watch the whites in your, er, whites?

Put this down: I would (not the underwear). I can't get to many games at the Macbokbol anyway, but I'd put my money down to watch the games. And it might be the only way we see away grounds for a while to come. Thoughts? Would you pay, and if so, how much (per match or season)?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Would you get an iFollow season ticket?

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:48 pm

It's not an ifollow ST - I'll renew tomorrow for my ST, it doesn't matter how many games we get to see in person, the board have put their money where their mouth is in regards to paying to get Evatt in & the subsequent recruitment etc. it appears that there is a real feel good factor for the first time in many years, therefore for me its now up to the fans to support the club with their hard earned cash - IMO.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Some people aren't going to buy ST's for a whole variety of reasons, so the Club might generate additional money they wouldn't have got. We've quite a few folks on here that don't live within 150 miles of Bolton. I can fully understand why they might not buy a ST. My gut feel.is they'd make more than they lose, streaming games, if they got the price point right.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Is it not potentially the death of Saturday 3pm crowds?

Or will everyone return to stadiums as soon as possible? Surely nothing can replace being there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 pm
Is it not potentially the death of Saturday 3pm crowds?
That's why the 2.45pm-5.15pm rule has existed... until COVID-19 closed the doors.
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 pm
Or will everyone return to stadiums as soon as possible? Surely nothing can replace being there.
That's why I'd imagine they'd be fairly confident they could sell digital passes without haemorrhaging numbers at the gates... when the gates reopen.

Put it this way: even if I'd bought an iFollow season ticket, it wouldn't stop me clambering into the happy-wagon with The Mighty Flanners if we away fans are allowed at Crawley, Stevenage, Orient, Southend, Colchester, Cambridge, Cheltenham, FGR, Newport and/or Bloody Exeter. They could well have my money twice for those games: once up front for the digital pass, if it's a good offer; then again in person if the doors are open.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 am

Yep, I'm very much in the same boat as you, DSB. I live in London so realistically can't attend many home games, but would stump up for some kind of digital season ticket and if we're able to go to away games this season then I'd be keen to get to any of the local (ish) matches.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am

Same. I no longer live locally and bought every match day pass on iFollow/Sky when a Bolton match was available. iFollow is single cam with radio commentary dubbed - so by no means a glittering package - but didn't bother me at all after five mins. Keeps me as connected to home as I can be.

As far as the club is concerned, they'll obviously claw back some lost revenue during the behind closed doors period and nobody would begrudge them ditching the digital offering once crowds could return, if it were advertised as a temporary measure (obviously couldn't sell it as a season ticket though). They could even let the two overlap for a short period if they wanted to test just what the impact is on match day. You may find that there are even some locally who never go to matches but will pay a few times a season to watch in their own homes. If you can get the balance right, it all adds up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Revolution joined :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Ooh hello - Mail reporting "EFL agree deal with Sky Sports allowing clubs in all three divisions to stream every match next season until stadiums at least 50 per cent full. Clubs to keep the revenue with Sky waiving compensation rights for loss of exclusivity."

"Season-ticket holders will get access to their side's home matches free of charge and more casual fans will be able to watch every game — including Saturday 3pm kick-offs for the first time — for a fee of around £10."

"The money raised by the streaming fees will be kept by whichever club sells the service in the Championship. A more complex revenue-sharing formula will be applied in League One and League Two due to the big disparity in clubs' respective fanbases."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm
Ooh hello - Mail reporting "EFL agree deal with Sky Sports allowing clubs in all three divisions to stream every match next season until stadiums at least 50 per cent full. Clubs to keep the revenue with Sky waiving compensation rights for loss of exclusivity."

"Season-ticket holders will get access to their side's home matches free of charge and more casual fans will be able to watch every game — including Saturday 3pm kick-offs for the first time — for a fee of around £10."

"The money raised by the streaming fees will be kept by whichever club sells the service in the Championship. A more complex revenue-sharing formula will be applied in League One and League Two due to the big disparity in clubs' respective fanbases."
Might be up for a bit of that - £10 looks good value (TBF I'd probably pay more)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm

So my ST will cover home games and I can pay £10 for aways and cups? Not bad at all that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:03 am

Seems like a good way to sell a few extra tickets to people who aren't buying until they know where we stand with covid. Can't really argue with it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 am

Confusion over whether the Bratfurt game will be streamed online.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... tions-cup/

Bantams have said it won't be, Wanderers want it to be (per Iles), final decision is EFL's.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 am
Confusion over whether the Bratfurt game will be streamed online.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... tions-cup/

Bantams have said it won't be, Wanderers want it to be (per Iles), final decision is EFL's.

Very odd as to why Bradford said that the game wouldn't be available to live stream in their statement. Stevenage and Southend have confirmed that their Carabao Cup games will be available to watch on iFollow. I see no reason as to why ours would be any different.

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 14.15.14.png
Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 14.15.14.png (22.71 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 14.16.01.png
Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 14.16.01.png (31.42 KiB) Viewed 3263 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Aye. We'll see. Iles: "Understand the EFL are working through details and will announce the potential for Carabao Cup games being streamed in the next few days. Certainly haven't had a firm 'no' from them."

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Help for an old luddite needed.

iFollow. Can I watch it on my smart TV via the internet link or does it have to be on an iPad or laptop and connected via hdmi cable?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:25 pm

iFollow. Can I watch it on my smart TV via the internet link or does it have to be on an iPad or laptop and connected via hdmi cable?
The HDMI option is the easiest.

There isn't at the time of posting this a smart TV app.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:31 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:25 pm

The HDMI option is the easiest.

There isn't at the time of posting this a smart TV app.
Cheers. Best get shopping or searching the cable drawer! :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Can you Chromecast?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:05 pm
Can you Chromecast?

Not since the operation.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!