creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:30 pm
Crawley's knock is really impressive. Buttler has had an excellent batting series against Pakistan. Was "ok" against WI. Think he's cemented his place. Still have plenty of doubts about some of his glove work.
Sky flashed up that Jos was averaging over 50 this summer. He was a bit rusty early doors with the bat but certainly has come good. If you say we’ve found a number 3 in Crawley, Buttler 6, Stokes 5 - you’ve then got Pope too...number 4 looks open for discussion...and I’m far far from convinced by Burns and to an extent Sibley.....
Short term averages confuse things as you spotted with Root when you took his NO* out of the equation in the West Indies tests. Jos has averaged a bit higher than Bairstow and Foakes (very short term average) over a couple of years. He's had a great knock today which may well have taken his average over 50. His average over a long period is around 20 less than that - that's how averages work. Form vs Class. He could be a "great", the talent is there, but we seem to back two horses with him. He's dropped a shit load of catches and missed stumpings so he's a batter. He's caught all his catches but scored nowt, he's a keeper who can bat. I don't doubt his ability, dedication or desire. But I don't doubt anyone's at that level either - Vince, Ballance etc. For me, he has the gloves and the position on current form.

I'm not convinced by Burns and Sibley especially against spin and "found you out" bowling- yet - but they're the best pair of openers I've seen for a while and I'm struggling for alternatives. Sibley is up at about 40, Burns is lower than that coz he's had a bit of a mare against Pakistan.

Crawley has probably put the #3 debate away for a bit :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:15 pm

His keeping is pretty decent this afternoon :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Jimmy's face :lol: thank feck Sibley caught that one!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 pm
Weather doesn’t look too clever down there next two days. England just need to keep picking Jimmy till he gets his 600. At the very least. He is still class. And he is owed this. He’s going where no fast bowler in the history of the game has gone before. Unprecedented. Rory Burns and his stupid moustache and sheepish grin can get to feck.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:34 am

Dropsies not helping - Jimmy up to 4 now. I wouldn't want to be in that dressing room if he doesn't get to 600 and we don't wrap-up a win.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Weather doesn’t look too clever down there next two days. England just need to keep picking Jimmy till he gets his 600. At the very least. He is still class. And he is owed this. He’s going where no fast bowler in the history of the game has gone before. Unprecedented. Rory Burns and his stupid moustache and sheepish grin can get to feck.
I think Jimmy had a good series against WI without getting much reward - he's had a better series v Pakistan in terms of rewards. I wouldn't be dropping him just yet, I don't think.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:47 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Prufrock wrote:
I think Jimmy had a good series against WI without getting much reward - he's had a better series v Pakistan in terms of rewards. I wouldn't be dropping him just yet, I don't think.
Me neither - but I guess there aren't any tests definitely scheduled now are there....so likelihood is - if he doesn't get chance to get the two needed today (tomorrow looks a washout) its next summer at best for Jimmy. I'd seriously hope he is still playing then but its a BIG ask for him to spend a year not playing much if any cricket staying fit and in shape and in form for a test series next summer that probably, but not definitely will happen...But if he does he definitely should be picked.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:19 pm

It really is no good at all that it takes so long to get playing again after rain breaks. Test cricket really needs to look at itself here. What can be done to get on within 20 minutes of a shower finishing? Surely the tech is there to get water off the field quickly and players back on. If it means playing with different balls that absorb water less or just using more automated clearing machines. But honestly its a pet peeve of mine - so much time is lost - nobody can stop rain - but surely we need to get back playing quicker. And stop going off for bad light. I get that there are times conditions are dangerous but keep the game on at all costs. And start earlier. Its madness starting at 11 in the UK in August/September when your day will often be curtailed with rain and the light unless its a great day will go towards the end. It ruins test matches and is another black mark against the one day and t20 variants which do all they can to get a game on - unless a complete washout.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 pm

I'm hesitant to post this for fear of jinxing it, but Haseeb Hameed is quietly, finally hitting something like a run of form. I dearly hope it continues.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:07 am

Weather prospects not good at all. Things seem against us after a strong position to win. Hope Jimmy at least gets his 600.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Bit of a joke this. Not been raining for over two hours but outfield is 'wet'. Play should have started - this is why test cricket will die. Desperately need to modernise.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Bit of a joke this. Not been raining for over two hours but outfield is 'wet'. Play should have started - this is why test cricket will die. Desperately need to modernise.
They're generally looking at whether there's danger to the fielding side. I'm not sure the 'Tech" is there to get it drier, much quicker. What tech do you think is there? I think there is more they could do about playing under lights in bad light conditions. I think T20 has its place. On balance I'd rather Test Cricket died than became a fiasco..

There is also trying to keep it and even contest. Not even if day ball is zipping across the outfield for four and day two it stops dead off the square...
Last edited by Worthy4England on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Great effort Jimmy. 600 up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:35 pm

Absolutely immense Jimmy. First in the world to do it. Doesn’t get even half the credit and adulation he should. Especially from overseas. Man is pretty unparalleled.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:39 pm

After seeing Sibley's bowling, it's an absolute travesty I played in no test matches! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:22 am

Hat off to a brilliant achievement from James Anderson. Well done indeed sir. :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Well I enjoyed that.

Good bowling from Curran at the death.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:02 pm

Jos Buttler is without doubt the best ODI/T20 batsman I’ve ever seen. He has everything, the power, the touch, fast hands and an almost unerring ability to get an innings pacing just right. It’s a bit scary watching him. Not an easy surface to score on that and without Jos I think the Australian score was more than competitive...but he just makes it look so easy...when it’s actually impossible for most. Way he manipulated the field today..,superb. Never tire watching him bat in these formats...just spectacular.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 am

It says something that he scored 77 from 54 but it never felt as though he left second gear. The six to win it was an astonishingly clean hit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:23 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 am
It says something that he scored 77 from 54 but it never felt as though he left second gear. The six to win it was an astonishingly clean hit.
Yeah he's special and unique in that he can smash it all over the park when he decides it is what is needed, and he can also play a calculated run chase when he feels that is the method - and can switch from one to another at will. I can't remember many if any who can do that - you get your accumulators and your power merchants but rarely both in one batter. Its unique really. And to think we've won this series without Roy and Stokes - who you'd probably put down as after Buttler our two best batsmen in this format (Stokes perhaps a bit questionable since he is a slow starter...).