BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:34 am

Aye, maybe. But academy games still went on, and you'd think a prospect would get a chance somewhere. When you add it to this summer's shadow-boxing, it's all a bit weird.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:34 am
Aye, maybe. But academy games still went on, and you'd think a prospect would get a chance somewhere. When you add it to this summer's shadow-boxing, it's all a bit weird.
I agree it's weird.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:31 am

I think Amoateng played one or two games in our U23s last season. Let me see if I can find the tweet that mentioned him in the starting line up.

But I agree that it’s strange he seemed to disappear after Bury went bust. You’d think being a former Liverpool academy player he’d get a gig off the back of that.

Here it is. He played against Nottingham Forest U23s back in March

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:15 am

Good sleuthing - and a subsequent tweet reveals that it is Bright Amoateng, as he was subbed on 73 minutes (at 3-0 down) for Markus Assarsson, whose name is almost a gift for headline writers.

Bit more on Bright, but only deepening the mystery: on Feb 8 2019, Bury comms man Adam Clark tweeted that Amoateng was 15. That would make him 16 or 17 now, but it doesn't tally with the vague "late 02" date given by a forummer. It would also mean that the minutes he got for Liverpool U18s in April 2018 – 10 months earlier - were at the age of 15 or more likely 14, which would be ludicrously precocious. I mean, we're talking Liverpool U18s, not Lincoln.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Could the delay be due to having to establish whether or not Bury are "training compensation"?

Presumably if they are that would mean we can't sign him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:59 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Could the delay be due to having to establish whether or not Bury are "training compensation"?

Presumably if they are that would mean we can't sign him.
Possibly but they only had him a year – he was at Liverpool before that, and possibly somewhere else before that for all we know - and (presumably) didn't pay any wage after August, which is surely breach of contract. Can you still have a contract if the company's gone? Or maybe it's not about the contract but the compensation to a club that doesn't exist except in the mind of a madman. (Can we even pay comensation under embargo?) I'm hearing there's paperwork to be finished but no sense that it's quite *that* mad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Suspect its more about paperwork - for example presumably Bury hold his registration and medical stuff - so that needs transferring - imagine that is hard work with current situation at Bury....

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:03 am

The squad nos have been announced. No Amoateng.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/septem ... confirmed/
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm

The mystery continues. We look really, really fragile up front. Two good players for this level, but sod all behind them and Delfouneso with a history of repeated hamstring issues.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:59 pm

I’m sure it’s a problem we will solve - the windows open until some time in October. Be a loanee or a freebie from a club higher up the league ladder.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 pm

We need to forget about Amaoteng. He’s a kid. When his forms are filled he’ll be playing with the U18s or on loan. All this delay is turning him into Andy Walker or at least Andranik.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:22 pm

I thought the lad we did get in was interesting. Another of from Evatt's "social circle" as Evatt is mates with Devitt who is close to Miller from their time together at Morecambe. A bit of a Delfouneso sort, where he's never been prolific but he tends to be busy. Doesn't looke like we are going to try and mix up options for different positions and you can see why from the first game. Each position has a role and each role fits into the whole system. Will be pleasantly surprised if we got a target man in, rather than expect one. We're presumably looking for someone more like Doyle.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:06 pm

All very fine to have a defined system. But it didn’t sound like Plan B was very well thought out yesterday - so much so that people disagreed what system we were playing - Iles said a narrow 442, others in here have said 433. Formations are only partially important but Evatt certainly puts huge faith in patterns of play; slightly worrying if/that the late game-chasing sub rendered us apparently limp.

But, for clarity, I’m still supportive, hopeful and expectant. It’ll be more fun that most seasons of late.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 pm

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:06 pm
All very fine to have a defined system. But it didn’t sound like Plan B was very well thought out yesterday - so much so that people disagreed what system we were playing - Iles said a narrow 442, others in here have said 433. Formations are only partially important but Evatt certainly puts huge faith in patterns of play; slightly worrying if/that the late game-chasing sub rendered us apparently limp.

But, for clarity, I’m still supportive, hopeful and expectant. It’ll be more fun that most seasons of late.
I assume Marc was in the ground, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to the crap camera angle. If it was a 4-4-2 then it was some kind of diamond and it didn't work at all. It was a terrible call by Evatt - but that happens to managers.

We are definitely committed to this system under Evatt, I think. A major deviation would probably require us to have actual wide players and we don't have any, our width will have to come from one of the wing backs and then runners. I don't think we have the creativity in midfield to play a diamond and we probably don't have the depth.

I think what we'll see is that the left wing backs are basically midfielders, not defenders. The right wing backs will be more traditional attacking full backs. We'll ask Gordon or Mascoll to play the old Luigi De Agostini role that you don't really see much these days.

One of the reasons that way of playing fell out of favour in the late 90s is that it isn't flexible in terms of personnel. When you are in possession and creating space you can destroy sides, but when it's not clicking you don't usually have the ability to change systems to chase a game. It's be one hell of an identity for a lower league club, though. It's beautiful to watch when you've got a squad built for it. My attitude is feck it, let's give it a go...I've seen enough clogging football to last me a lifetime :pissed:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Same could be said of being repeatedly kicked in the Jacobs!
I'm not overly expectant, but certainly hopeful and just simply very pleased that the club seems stable and football is back on.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm
Same could be said of being repeatedly kicked in the Jacobs!
Costs you a fortune in some parts of Hamburg, that. :shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:59 am

Ghost - I agree with much of what you’re saying, even if I’m not as sure he’s trying to resurrect zona mista, although it’s an interesting idea.

I would agree that we have hung our hat on 3-4-1-2 and that’s fine; I just wonder if we couldn’t have more alternatives - like a more “targetable” forward - within that shape.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:59 am
Ghost - I agree with much of what you’re saying, even if I’m not as sure he’s trying to resurrect zona mista, although it’s an interesting idea.

I would agree that we have hung our hat on 3-4-1-2 and that’s fine; I just wonder if we couldn’t have more alternatives - like a more “targetable” forward - within that shape.
As I said in the System thread, I don't think it's Evatt having wet dreams about playing classic Italian football (he's not Freedman). Top level players are all now supposed to understand stuff that had to be thought up by the likes of Cruyff and Trappatoni. So I don't think it's some alien, unheard of mystery going on here - I just think Evatt is asking the lads to think/play like top level players.

I think Evatt has a similar mindset to Brendan Rogers.

As Worthy said elsewhere, football is a simple game - but lots of simple stuff ends up complicated when you try and describe it as a system. No individual bit is rocket science.

On the "targetable forward" - yes we should have one. We are not at a level where we can reliably destroy teams and we likely never will be. Again, football is simple and every team needs an out-ball - whether that's to a lad who is so good he can always keep it, a fast lad over the top or the big man who can hold-up play. We're not signing some midfield god, so we should have one of the other two options - Barrow had both in the pace of Angus and power of Quigley. I think we will end up punting it into channels for Delf to chase, but he's not lightning.