I don't think I like Ian Evatt much, but this is why I think he will succeed here.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: I don't think I like Ian Evatt much, but this is why I think he will succeed here.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 am

We need the senior players to buy into it. If they do the young lads will.

If Evatt is wise and if he gets success here, he will stay and try and take us all the way back up - rather than jumping ship if an offer comes. He won't, he'll go as soon as he gets an offer; but if he says these kinds of things at a higher level he will get picked apart by the media. Brendan Rogers said much less weird stuff than Evatt has said and he ended up a laughing stock.

Media training for this chap is a must.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I don't think I like Ian Evatt much, but this is why I think he will suher level won't be our cceed here.

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 am

If he's going to jump ship, what he says at a higher level won't be our concern. To get there he has to achieve something here so I'll take any good achievements on the way.

Clubs jettison managers regularly so wouldn't blame him if he did. It's the way of the world.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: I don't think I like Ian Evatt much, but this is why I think he will suher level won't be our cceed here.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:56 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 am
If he's going to jump ship, what he says at a higher level won't be our concern. To get there he has to achieve something here so I'll take any good achievements on the way.

Clubs jettison managers regularly so wouldn't blame him if he did. It's the way of the world.
Tend to agree, just a point of interest for me.

If he stabilises us this season and takes us up the season after I am happy regardless. Once we are in League One, with a settled squad, I am confident we'll get to the Championship and then it's another push to rebuild at that level.

I genuinely believe we can be back in promotion contention at that level within 5 years, but everyone will have to perform.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I don't think I like Ian Evatt much, but this is why I think he will succeed here.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... er-united/
In a strange way, and I can’t really express the words which will make people understand, but I think on Saturday we’ll be having this conversation and you’ll say ‘yes, I see what you saw, and you’ve cracked it.’ That’s how clearly I can see what is missing, and I know how to fix it.

We’ll work hard on the training ground and hopefully next Saturday I haven’t got egg on my face and you’re thinking ‘that wasn’t what was wrong.’ I think I know how to fix this quickly and that you’ll see the difference.
New formation? Long ball? Darcy in goal? Play with our shirts on back to front? :conf:

Whatever it is, here’s hoping it works. I like the bloke and I think he could do very well for us. He might not, but I hope he does.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 am

Maybe he's bought a pair of Messi's boots for Sarceivic to save having to put Crawford in.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm

He loves a bold statement doesn’t he! I lov his confidence but for me a point will do Saturday, make us hard to score against and it will come going forwards.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Do it, then tell us about it afterwards!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Many of history's finest managers have struggled to locate the line between loquacious and garrulous. Having little or no filter made Brian Clough relatively rich (via TV and newspapers) but cost him the chance of the England job. It made Sam Allardyce a big figure but also cost him the England job he'd only just got.

Not that being a gobshite is a guarantee of quality – ask Graham Westley. But management requires a rubber hide, and some of those who do it best thrive under the pressure of eyeballs and expectation.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm
Many of history's finest managers have struggled to locate the line between loquacious and garrulous. Having little or no filter made Brian Clough relatively rich (via TV and newspapers) but cost him the chance of the England job. It made Sam Allardyce a big figure but also cost him the England job he'd only just got.

Not that being a gobshite is a guarantee of quality – ask Graham Westley. But management requires a rubber hide, and some of those who do it best thrive under the pressure of eyeballs and expectation.
He's just setting himself up. Unless he believes that by saying these things positive vibes are radiating across the training ground, dismantling the pervasive aura of defeat.
It's not for me, but I'll happily hold him my hand good be him every credit if he backs it up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... er-united/
In a strange way, and I can’t really express the words which will make people understand, but I think on Saturday we’ll be having this conversation and you’ll say ‘yes, I see what you saw, and you’ve cracked it.’ That’s how clearly I can see what is missing, and I know how to fix it.

We’ll work hard on the training ground and hopefully next Saturday I haven’t got egg on my face and you’re thinking ‘that wasn’t what was wrong.’ I think I know how to fix this quickly and that you’ll see the difference.
New formation? Long ball? Darcy in goal? Play with our shirts on back to front? :conf:

Whatever it is, here’s hoping it works. I like the bloke and I think he could do very well for us. He might not, but I hope he does.
The issue here for me is that in previous interviews he has said that he learnt from his self help books that the coach always has to tell people he knows exactly how to fix things, even when he doesn't, because everyone has to trust the coach implicitly. So, whilst the confidence is good, I don't necessarily believe him. Obviously if we win he can say "see" and if we lose....well that's where it gets interesting. Does he pick a source of blame at that stage?

I think he has proven he knows how to win football matches. I don't really care if he is a bullshit artist or not, because our most successful manager whilst I have been a fan was also a massive bullshit artist. Sam lied to media, fans, players and everyone else - but he did it to get the reaction he wanted. Some managers are honest and some manipulate people and, if it is all ultimately about what is good for the team, it can be fine. Obviously both can be taken to extremes and that's when things fall apart.

Win or lose to Colchester, he will get plenty of time from me. I think we lost that game in midfield and I can excuse that because I think fatigue played a role that. That's not to excuse everything that was wrong, but I think that was a factor. We'll see if a week's rest and focused training changes it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm

On my Rioch-o-Meter he is slipping towards Nigel Pearson territory
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:06 pm
It's not for me, but I'll happily hold him my hand good be him every credit if he backs it up.
You might have to run that one by me again, LE... :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm
If Rioch is at 12:00, how far round is Nigel? :-)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

And he's a teacher. No wonder the country is going to the dogs!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Look, it was morning break. I was rushing. And pissed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

I used to say shit like that handing homework in. Didn't help the Mark's. Heartless bastards.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

I used to say shit like that handing homework in. Didn't help the Mark's. Heartless bastards.
Help the Mark's what? :)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 pm

fecking hell all this working at home is making everyone an English teacher! 🤣

Come on Ian get results on the pitch, save the chat for after. I do like how he fronts up afterwards - no blaming onions or the fans turning on him when they haven’t.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Help the Mark's what? :)
The Mark's marks. Bloody autocunt.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm
If Rioch is at 12:00, how far round is Nigel? :-)
8:00. Slipping towards a Souness 5:00 though here - 'I made it clear when I got this job. The philosophy won’t change. We want to play dynamic, attacking football, but we’ve got to learn to be nasty.' :?