Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00pm

Post by DJBlu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Not done a starter thread for a match in ages.

Really want to keep the hope that we can get a win under our belt, going to be a very difficult game against the Oysters.

COYWM!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:45 pm

The Oysters? I never knew that.
Better this weekend but I can't see a clam like defence yet. Pearl's before swine. Oysters ahead of Trotters. 2-1 loss. Doyle gets off the mark.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm

What XI would you pick? Personally I'd restore Taft over Greenidge, with Baptiste and Santos; I'd start with Baptiste in the middle. (I did note that the big fella looked OK when he limped around in the middle, but perhaps that was because he was holding his ground rather than charging forward.)

I would pick Hickman over Jones – I like both but I think the kid has a good cross on him and we need to service the front two. I'd also be tempted to look at Mascoll over Gordon, with the latter coming on later in the game to pacily probe.

In the middle, I'd try Tutte and White behind Crawford. Big call to drop Sarce but there we are. Similarly, it would have been nice to play Comley against his old team but his two starts haven't been impressive and he may need to sit and watch Tutte for a lesson in what he was brought on board to do: recycle, but productively, looking forward if possible.

Doyle and Fonz up top, hopefully with Miller and Amoateng offering options off the bench.

As for what I think Evatt will do: Santos-Baptiste-Greenidge, Jones-Tutte-Sarcevic-Gordon, Crawford, Fonz-Doyle.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm
As for what I think Evatt will do: Santos-Baptiste-Greenidge, Jones-Tutte-Sarcevic-Gordon, Crawford, Fonz-Doyle.
Week on the training ground and our statement is "we're that good we don't need a keeper" :-)

I would go:

Crellin
Hickman
Baptiste (RD)
Santos (CD)
Taft (LD)
Mascoll ( but zero idea whether he's better than Gordon)
White
Tutte
Crawford
Doyle
Delfouneso

I think Evatt will go:

Crellin
Jones
Santos
Baptiste
Taft
Gordon
Tutte
White
Sarceivic
Doyle
Delfouneso.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Honestly, I don't care what team we put out. The problems against FGR came from training issues and they'll be solved with training. Personnel obviously matters, but unless we fix the fundamentals that went wrong it won't matter who we stick out.

I don't want to rely on lucky breaks or who scores first. I want to see us go out and play well. We are good enough for the league, but not too good for it. Coaching will define our season.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm
Week on the training ground and our statement is "we're that good we don't need a keeper" :-)
The lack of discussion necessary over Crellin's place is a credit to him and an answer to the fanic pannys who wanted someone older... :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:43 pm
The lack of discussion necessary over Crellin's place is a credit to him and an answer to the fanic pannys who wanted someone older... :D
There are issues there. If the rest of the team stops being utter garbage we can start nitpicking as regards the kid :wink:

Undeniably done very well so far, though.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
He'll drop one in the net now. And it'll be ALL YOUR FAULT.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 pm

Yeah I’d go with the selections above. I said drop Taft after Crewe but I didn’t mean for the half fit fella, meant Delaney! Santos/Baptiste/Taft is a back line with plenty of experience. I’m all for giving the other wingbacks a go, and I wonder if Jones May make a useful central defender a la Simon Charlton or Mike Whitlow style conversion.

Midfield needs to be selected to have players in who will show for the ball and be brave.

Hope for a point but fearing another defeat I am afraid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Don’t you mean it’ll all be hold be happily be good be hand be do be do be doobie doo? :mrgreen:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 am

Reading the comments about Sarcevic over the last few weeks it seems that he's almost the invisible man. Do you think that relieving him of the armband and the responsibility that comes with it would help? If so, do we have an alternative in the squad?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:04 am

Dujon wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 am
Reading the comments about Sarcevic over the last few weeks it seems that he's almost the invisible man. Do you think that relieving him of the armband and the responsibility that comes with it would help? If so, do we have an alternative in the squad?
Baptiste is the obvious one. But we Brits place more emphasis on the armband than just about any other nation.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 am

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Don’t you mean it’ll all be hold be happily be good be hand be do be do be doobie doo? :mrgreen:

Yes. Yes I do. But thought that went without saying.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 am

Dujon wrote:
Sarcevic has been depicted as being most comfortable playing as a 'box-to-box' midfielder, so my thinking would be to try him alongside White or Comley (probably White based on their performances vs FGR), then start Crawford in the hole behind Doyle and Fonz.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:54 am

I don’t think taking the captaincy off him will do anyone any favours - for a start there is no obvious replacement.

Is the IFollow procedure different for this one or can we still purchase through the club on the EFL app? Do BWFC get the cut of the receipts (only here for the wanderers) or Colchester cos it’s there home game?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 am
Dujon wrote:
Sarcevic has been depicted as being most comfortable playing as a 'box-to-box' midfielder, so my thinking would be to try him alongside White or Comley (probably White based on their performances vs FGR), then start Crawford in the hole behind Doyle and Fonz.
This is true, and sensible, and perhaps politically safer than dropping him. The unkinder critics who allege unfitness might mock the idea of Sarce going box to box, but as you say Plymouth fans have said that role suits his game, which seems to be about energy rather than Crawfordian cunning. Given his goalscoring record (although it's been beefed up by set-pieces), I can understand why Evatt might consider playing him in the No10 role as a nine-bob Nolan, but our midfield cohesion and creativity has been lacking except in the second half against Crewe – when Crawford came on for Comley and Sarce dropped back behind him alongside White.

As noted, Tutte notably did the necessary simple things well in his sub cameo v FGR and one alternative is Tutte-Sarce behind Crawford, which would give us two deeper midfielders each with 250+ league games behind undoubtedly our most creative No10 option. Evattball needs people confident and canny enough to keep passing and moving until the gaps appear.
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:54 am
Is the IFollow procedure different for this one or can we still purchase through the club on the EFL app? Do BWFC get the cut of the receipts (only here for the wanderers) or Colchester cos it’s there home game?
Sign up via the BW site as usual. Dunno where the money goes. I noted v Crewe that once signed in you had options of whose commentators to listen to, but I think all money's collected via iFollow anyway. Interesting question as to whether you can declare your team on entry, but if it were a real turnstile it's not like bigger away followings get a bigger slice.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:09 pm

The Wanderers head coach has reported “one or two” of his key players are nursing injuries and are now major doubts to face the U’s. Evatt also confirmed that, in one case, a first team player would be side-lined for “three to four weeks”. Shaun Miller could come back into the equation for Wanderers after sitting out last weekend and there could also be a first league appearance of the season for midfielder, Ronan Darcy.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... two-clash/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 pm

Dujon wrote:
Reading the comments about Sarcevic over the last few weeks it seems that he's almost the invisible man.
Int football fans brilliant?!

Half calling him the invisible man, the other saying that he's as fat as Billy Bunter :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:06 pm

And quotes via the offishTwitter:
[On transfers]No outs at the moments. Ins is a work in progress and we want to make sure we get it right first and foremost. We’re looking at good quality loans or players that are not currently wanted at their clubs. We’ve moved away from actively looking at free agents.

I’ve learned that we’re probably a little short on confidence at the moment and that comes from results. Our reactions to adversity in games hasn’t been good enough.

We’ve done a lot of hard work this week. The standard of training this week has been exceptional but we’ve got to take it into Saturday's game.

We’re a group of nice lads. I want them to get horrible with each other and get horrible with opposition. Sometimes you’ve got to knuckle down and grind out results. When we do that we’ll gain confidence and then start to blow teams away with the football that we’re wanting to play.

I made it clear when I got this job, the philosophy won’t change – we want to play dynamic, attacking football, but we’ve got to learn to be nasty. We’re not far away but I’m a perfectionist and I want it to be right now. Can we do the ugly side well and roll up our sleeves until the confidence comes back?

Since I walked into the building the fans have been ever so positive with me. I’m confident we’ll get things right and when we do we’ll be a force to be reckoned with.

The advantage of being at home isn’t there any more, especially for us with our ground and fanbase. Let’s see how we get on away from home. Colchester is another good test to see where we’re at.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Oh god, the quotes...

I am fairly sure a lot of what he has said so far is just quotes from Pep and Jose in All or Nothing.