Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:32 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am
I think with the improvement which can be expected week-to-week from a brand new squad, the goal scoring chances should increase for Newport (dependent upon their style of play of course). Things clearly began to click for us much more on Saturday, as evidenced in the graphical analysis provided by DSB above, and I am personally reasonably confident that further progression is likely with another week on the training ground under our belts.

As Evatt gains more of an understanding of players' strengths he will be able to settle on his preferred formation and best lineups, which in turn should allow players to develop combinations amongst themselves and greater confidence of what is required of them individually. All of this takes time, and as long as we keep stepping forwards I would like to think we'll be one of the better teams in this division.
And I'm scared of the alternative to the above, so I'll keep buying into Brand Evatt for the time being... :o
I like IE and happy to let him do his thing. He needs though to take pressure off players as much as possible and take it on his shoulders. He should not be overly defensive of what has been as bad a start as you can have. Accept it, say it’s not good enough and that he is responsible for it and will turn it round.

I think that would help the players. His reaction on Saturday was overly defensive and sort of aggressively pushing the notion that we’d been robbed when anyone watching the game knew we had been allowed to have possession and mostly Colchester were very comfortable against us as we rarely threatened. The shape looked better but it all means nothing if it’s wrong at both ends of the pitch. Keeping the ball out of your net and putting it in the other net is what football is about and so far both are seriously wrong and need fixing.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:25 am

Had my iFollow question answered by the Colchester chairman anyway - keep buying through the BWFC iFollow and we’ll make more money. Surprised only 2500 bought - but then I guess a lot who watch together live together.

Could keep us afloat this so keep buying.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:25 am
Had my iFollow question answered by the Colchester chairman anyway - keep buying through the BWFC iFollow and we’ll make more money. Surprised only 2500 bought - but then I guess a lot who watch together live together.

Could keep us afloat this so keep buying.
From the BN:

Bolton sold 2,252 streaming passes for Saturday’s game at the JobServe Community Stadium, which was played behind closed doors.

As a result, the Whites actually earned more money from the fixture than the home team, who sold 452 passes and also received money for the first 500 sold by Bolton.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 am

I see rent a gob Andy holt is moaning about teams with more fans earning more money from it 🤷‍♂️

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:59 am

To be completely honest, I agree that home teams should keep the majority of the receipts, just as they would from an in-person game.

But this has been the direction of travel for nearly 40 years in British football: every man for himself. Until summer 1983, all gate receipts from Football League games were split evenly between the home and away sides: not even 50, but 48/48 with 4% going to the Football League to be redistributed equally among the 92. As of the 1983/84 season, after pressure from the burgeoning "Big Five" among others, this was abandoned and home clubs kept 100% of the take.

That might seem like the opposite of what's happened with iFollow, but it's notable that the new platform has immediately defaulted to benefitting the clubs with bigger fanbases. So farewell Bury and Macclesfield and...? More will follow.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:36 am

I only pay to watch the Wanderers! Is the first 500 unique to Colchester (because that’s their away attendance) or is it all clubs?

I do wonder if the clubs should have more influence on price, a ticket for the game would be more than £10. Would I have paid £20 though? Not sure.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:36 am
I only pay to watch the Wanderers!
i get that, but if - and I'm extrapolating here – all the other teams in our league go bust, you won't be watching anyone.

Football finances used to be based on being in league, hence the name. The further we go from that, the worst it is for football as a collective endeavour rather than a rich man's plaything – especially, fundamentally, during a pandemic.

As I say, the Big Five did away with that just when the Premier League idea was stirring to tumescence in their silver suits, and since then the finances have continued to separate; the Premier League nitrocharged that process, but it was already under way through big-club bullying of the downtrodden masses.

But the egalitarian principle still holds in the cups - gate receipts are split 50/50 up to the Second Round, and 45/45/10 (to the pool) from Third to Sixth. (It's also 45/45/10 in the Carabongo Catastrophe Cup.)

I'm hardly a raving commie but it would strike me that a division of 50% to each iFollow club would be fair. Otherwise we're all just f*cking each other, all the way up to Real Madrid.
officer_dibble wrote:
Is the first 500 unique to Colchester (because that’s their away attendance) or is it all clubs?
Their away end's bigger than that - 1k or 2k depending on oppo. But there will be D4 away ends that small, so I suggest that's a standardised figure across the division, if not the league.
officer_dibble wrote:
I do wonder if the clubs should have more influence on price, a ticket for the game would be more than £10. Would I have paid £20 though? Not sure.
I'm not sure I'd pay £20 for a stream. I suspect it's priced just about right.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:41 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I only pay to watch the Wanderers!
i get that, but if - and I'm extrapolating here – all the other teams in our league go bust, you won't be watching anyone.

Aye, but it does mean we'll be champions. Ding dong do!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Well if we aren’t allowed back in grounds anytime soon they are going to have to look at pricing I think. Maybe £15? However you split the cash not everyone can play Bolton every week.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:08 pm
Well if we aren’t allowed back in grounds anytime soon they are going to have to look at pricing I think. Maybe £15? However you split the cash not everyone can play Bolton every week.
True – but if all D4 iFollow money were to be collected, pooled then split equally between the 24 teams in the division, all teams would effectively be benefiting from "the Bolton effect" every week. It's odd, but these are odd times, and they affect every club, and the virus drags on. And for the record, this isn't an impossible consideration rooted in previous eras of sporting equality: after all, the EFL is rigorously pursuing the one-size financial consideration of the salary cap.

On the first point - some clubs could test the water by upping the price (after all, they have done so down the years for real-life tickets), but I doubt the demand is that elastic. As you say, £15 might retain a fair chunk of eyeballs, but I doubt going above £20 would work out more lucrative due to the fall-off in numbers.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Well whatever they do now it’s more important than ever we do what we can to support our club. If it’s survival of the fittest we ain’t in great nick. So stick with it - it’s not like there is going to be much else to do on a weekend this winter!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 am

Keep the current price. And a higher quality streaming option that streams via a dedicated TV app or at least via a streaming stick device - charge extra for that.

Fairly simple. Given the likelihood is that we're not going in stadiums this season (I think its slightly ridiculous but also hard to allow alongside other restrictions) then serious plans need making. The EFL need to actually do something rather than sitting on ifollow as it is which is about 2010 technology. Get with the times!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 am

I think I'd pay a few quid extra if they got rid of that Scottish bloke doing commentary.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 am
I think I'd pay a few quid extra if they got rid of that Scottish bloke doing commentary.
Aye, and not just for his use of header as a verb. Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I always end up thinking "Imagine the applicants they rejected"...
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 am
Keep the current price. And a higher quality streaming option that streams via a dedicated TV app or at least via a streaming stick device - charge extra for that.

Fairly simple. Given the likelihood is that we're not going in stadiums this season (I think its slightly ridiculous but also hard to allow alongside other restrictions) then serious plans need making. The EFL need to actually do something rather than sitting on ifollow as it is which is about 2010 technology. Get with the times!
Interesting to note that Colchester's Cowley mentioned they'd upgraded the cameras, but yes - it's not exactly bleeding-edge. And you mention an intriguing pricing option of charging more for better streaming – a bit like charging more for a seat than the terrace... but I'm sure there would be criticisms and allegations that "they're deliberately buffering the cheap one", etc and so on.
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm
Well whatever they do now it’s more important than ever we do what we can to support our club. If it’s survival of the fittest we ain’t in great nick. So stick with it - it’s not like there is going to be much else to do on a weekend this winter!
Sorry, missed this: Amen to that brother - and don't worry, I'll be virtually there. I tend to work weekends now - easier to pick up shifts and I prefer weekdays off as they're less busy. However, whereas last season I would only keep clear the Saturdays featuring games I could get to, now I'm having to keep every Saturday clear... costing me hundreds, but then this useless bunch of buggers always did... COYFWM!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:37 am
Aye, and not just for his use of header as a verb. Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I always end up thinking "Imagine the applicants they rejected"...
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 am

Interesting to note that Colchester's Cowley mentioned they'd upgraded the cameras, but yes - it's not exactly bleeding-edge. And you mention an intriguing pricing option of charging more for better streaming – a bit like charging more for a seat than the terrace... but I'm sure there would be criticisms and allegations that "they're deliberately buffering the cheap one", etc and so on.
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:20 pm
Sorry, missed this: Amen to that brother - and don't worry, I'll be virtually there. I tend to work weekends now - easier to pick up shifts and I prefer weekdays off as they're less busy. However, whereas last season I would only keep clear the Saturdays featuring games I could get to, now I'm having to keep every Saturday clear... costing me hundreds, but then this useless bunch of buggers always did... COYFWM!
Way I see it is this everyone needs to get behind this now - fans (where they can), EFL, government (ughhhh) and anyone who cares about preserving football clubs.

They need to pull their fingers out because clubs will need financial support. The EFL could easily have a better service for ifollow that will allow people to watch a reasonable stream on their TV. The current option is to plug your laptop in but the quality is nowhere near worth putting on the big screen. I watched the last game on my phone! They need to offer up some tiering for games and I dare say given the cost of season tickets it might be reasonable to give home fans the higher quality service thrown in because people have paid more than a tenner a match...

But regardless of that small thing - massive support packages from the PL, government and elsewhere will need to be realised very very quickly.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm

It's also going to be very interesting regarding ST refunds... who asks, how much, on what terms... clubs could find themselves being asked for a lump of money that has already been promised elsewhere... at the very least it's a huge PR risk. At worst, well, you know I'm not one for hyperbole but I just don't see how the majority of clubs survive without significant free inout from businesses/owners who are already feeling the squeeze.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm
It's also going to be very interesting regarding ST refunds... who asks, how much, on what terms... clubs could find themselves being asked for a lump of money that has already been promised elsewhere... at the very least it's a huge PR risk. At worst, well, you know I'm not one for hyperbole but I just don't see how the majority of clubs survive without significant free inout from businesses/owners who are already feeling the squeeze.
I don't see how clubs can return ST's. You bought knowing that good chance it was a streaming ticket. Question of value there for sure which is why EFL could do more. But clubs need that money. Also got to question even longer term - if this goes on for another year - how many people go back whenever it is all over and watch football again? I'm missing it a lot but these things change cultures. See numbers expected to work from home even after this is over estimated at more than double or treble those that did before....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:08 pm
I don't see how clubs can return ST's. You bought knowing that good chance it was a streaming ticket. Question of value there for sure which is why EFL could do more. But clubs need that money. Also got to question even longer term - if this goes on for another year - how many people go back whenever it is all over and watch football again? I'm missing it a lot but these things change cultures. See numbers expected to work from home even after this is over estimated at more than double or treble those that did before....
I get what you mean about behavioural paradigm shifts, but homeworking is a different thing. (I've written about this elsewhere: basically, it's been possible for ages but ineffective middle-managers want their white-collar workforce labouring under their beady eyes like in Adam Smith's factories, even though most work is remotely quantifiable anyway; COVID forced the change and now senior management are wondering why they're paying big rents for unnecessary, unhealthy offices.)

Back to football. There is legal precedence that someone who can't attend a game for which he or she has bought a season ticket does not get their money back; that legal precedent was set in a case won by Bolton Wanderers FC back in the days when everyone wore hats. However, we also live in an age of organised mithering and it wouldn't surprise me if "pressure groups" arise. After all, the people who've shelled out hundreds for something they're not getting might suddenly find themselves out of work. Winter's coming, and it won't end in March.

But as I say, it's not so much the legals as the PR. I think the only thing club can say is: look, sorry, if we refund we go bust. It's a world's-smallest-violin job if it's being done by Championship clubs spending ££££ on income which was only ever £££, but it'll happen. (And if you don't think clubs are using COVID to their advantage, note that Hull refused West Ham's offer of free pre-match tests because, to quote the manager, “We didn’t want to create anything".)

As to whether it will change watching patterns long-term – aye, possibly. That's been happening for years, and never quite as completely as many thought when, say, BBC and ITV started showing six live matches a year. For many of us, you just can't replicate that matchday buzz. Streaming is an alternative but it's not the same. Whether it reaches a wider but less involved audience is an interesting question. It's football's own paradigm shift – but if the alternative is closed doors leading to padlocked ones, it's a shift we're going to have to make.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 pm

Whilst we're on the topic of i follow, what is required to watch the game. I have a firestick where I can access i follow but the Colchester game wouldn't work as many found out. The Forest Green game was ok but that buffered quite a lot. As a Season ticket holder I have the pass for the Newport game but I do believe i need a laptop and a HDMI cable? is this so, or can I access via some other way. What exactly will I require.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 pm

If you have internet TV can't you stream direct to TV through ifollow on the bwfc website? I had trouble with the ifollow app so just streamed direct off website (to phone rather than telly)