What's the collective noun for a group of wheelchair bound detectives? Newport County at home. 26th Sep 2020 3.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What's the collective noun for a group of wheelchair bound detectives? Newport County at home. 26th Sep 2020 3.00pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:41 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:02 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:38 pm
Darcy has much to improve on, but he has a touch, feel and awareness that many in our team don't appear to possess and I find it difficult to believe he wouldn't improve us by playing, for example, on the left of the three in a 4-2-3-1.
Dropping Delf or Doyle? This is why I think we might be better switching back to a back three. Doyle is hobbled as the one up top.
We could avoid dropping either and have Delfouneso on the right of the three. Rotating between Darcy, Delfouneso and Isgrove as our wider options further forward feels pretty decent for this league. I'd rather them in possession in and around the final third than have our wing-backs in a 3-5-2 be the main providers of width. The 3-5-2 seems to me to be an unnecessarily convoluted way of trying to achieve our objective.

Crellin; Jones, Baptiste, Delaney, Gordon; Tutte, White; Darcy/Isgrove, Crawford, Delfouneso; Doyle. 4-2-3-1.

I think that's what I'd go for just now. What is probably our most reliable starting eleven in the most sensible formation. Sarcevic would be an option in that central two rather than at No.10 when he returns from injury.
Dropping Hickman then, just about the only player we've got who can cross... :?

Sorry Nicko, I'm not hounding you (or at least I'm not meaning to) – every elevation means a demotion, and let's face it at the minute we're rearranging deckchairs (almost literally with our defenders, given they're awkward, static and prone to collapse).

I haven't checked the stats yet - I'm working today so maybe later, and maybe I'll change my mind - but it felt like yesterday was as bad in terms of penetration as FGR, and therefore that the new formation may not be the predicted panacea. Particularly with Doyle, potentially our most potent weapon, it feels like he's both wasted in isolation and unable to fulfil the needs of the role - it's like Parky/ALF all over again, and we got promoted by switching to 3-5-2.

Moreover, barring Isgrove our squad is designed for wingbacks. While I like Darcy I don't think he's the white knight - I suspect we've got a bit of Andranik green-grass syndrome multiplied by forlorn hope for something, anything, to work - and if he's that good he can play in the No.10 role, for which Evatt mentioned him (and others) when overlooking Gareth Evans.

That No.10 role is a problem in either formation - 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-3-1. Crawford is simply not looking like bossing the division, but then I don't know whether he's suffering from this alleged positional rotation in midfield. Perhaps the answer to both is to flip the midfield triangle and instead of playing a No.10, pick a holder - probably Tutte, although Comley might work - with two players running forward in front of him.

That 4-3-3 - which won the Premier League last year, among other things - might solve our key problem: a lack of forward passes, the 10-yard diagonals that get you up the pitch. Maybe our players lack the vision or confidence to make them; maybe their mates lack the vision or discipline to make themselves available. But it's not working, and to be honest it's breaking down way before it gets anywhere near Doyle - unless he comes back over the halfway line in frustration.

As I say I wonder about returning to the back three, for a few reasons. I'm not sure the back four is working anyway, and the attack seems to have seized up completely: two games playing 4-2-3-1, zero goals.

I don't think Taft is as culpable as other defenders so I'd keep him, I'd have Delaney in the middle, and on the right I'd consider Gethin Jones - not the tallest but the same height as Brockbank and only an inch shorter than Baptiste. Besides, we've got height from the other two and Santos shows the importance of height compared to game-reading. Also, having Jones there would give us formational flexibility - whether temporarily or as a full formation switch he could move out to the right.

I'd have Hickman as the right wingback and probably Mascoll on the left just to give him a go and rotate Gordon out of the firing line. As I noted during the match and Dibs noted later, Gordon actually beat a man yesterday and the ball ended up in the net, but it was disallowed and five minutes later it was 0-2. Mascoll may not be as mentally scarred. It's worth a go.

With Delf closer to Doyler up front - although dropping off and wide as he tended to anyway - that leaves the midfield trio. I think we need Tutte's calm head in there and I'm among those who think White has been one of our better players; then it's hoping Crawford can discover his mojo - as I'm sure he could if he had sensible shortish balls to play rather than having to rake it 40 yards towards Doyle.

But all of this, or any formation, falls apart if we don't move while in possession - and we fall asleep when not.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Re: What's the collective noun for a group of wheelchair bound detectives? Newport County at home. 26th Sep 2020 3.00pm

Post by Athertonian » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am

I managed to get the stream on i follow via my pass. I'd be happy to continue watching this way from what I saw.
Having read some of the posts we have a mixed review. Early days, give them time et al et al. If Evatt doesn't address that defence, Bolton will drop from the EFL. That team is simply not good enough to compete, even in this league.

It is early days but, I expected a lot more than this. Survival should be their main objective if going off what we have seen so far.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:55 am

Athertonian wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am
I managed to get the stream on i follow via my pass. I'd be happy to continue watching this way from what I saw.
Having read some of the posts we have a mixed review. Early days, give them time et al et al. If Evatt doesn't address that defence, Bolton will drop from the EFL. That team is simply not good enough to compete, even in this league.

It is early days but, I expected a lot more than this. Survival should be their main objective if going off what we have seen so far.
Glad it worked for you mate. Pity it wasn't quite the glorious cinematic epic we were expecting in summer. We probably won't know unless we get another Colchester-chairman gobshite but I'll be intrigued to see how the viewing figures hold up if we carry on losing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Spent a dispiriting few minutes looking at stats and heatmaps on WhoScored for the FGR, Colchester and Newport games. Here's the links if you want to do some noseying of your own.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14868 ... rest-Green
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14868 ... ter-Bolton
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... on-Newport

My big question this week is how near we're getting to Doyle, who must feel like a lighthouse keeper up there on his own. It felt better at Colchester but back to worse than ever this week.

I know some people hate xG and I can understand that but anyway, here we go.
us 1.1 v 1.5 FGR
us 0.9 v 1.4 Colchester
us 0.9 v 2.4 Newport

So although it's only a small sample of the 3-4-1-2, we appear to be creating less. We also allowed our opponents the biggest chance-load yet. So hmm.

Adding in BBC figures from the Bradford game, here's how attempts on goal are developing:
us 8 v 9 Bradford
us 9 v 15 FGR
us 10 v 11 Colchester
us 12 v 24 Newport

So we are gradually upping our attempts, but we've still not managed moire than the oppo and frankly Newport could have had a hatful. Newport!

Efforts on target:
us 4 v 5 Bradford
us 2 v 3 FGR
us 2 v 3 Colchester
us 3 v 9 Newport

Again, unimpressive development ourselves, startling increase in their attempts.

As for Doyler himself: Against FGR, he had just two touches in the area. At Colchester this mushroomed excitingly to five, but yesterday it was down to one - a couple of yards from the byline in the corner of the area.

As for shots, v FGR Doyle had two from just inside the area, centrally, 14 and 16 yards out. At Colchester he also had two, but one from 16 yards and one from 20. Yesterday he had just one, from what commentators would be obliged to call "fully" 30 yards.

If we don't get him closer to the goal, he won't score, and therefore we might not either. As it was played yesterday, the 4-2-3-1 isn't working in terms of getting us into the box and feeding our danger man. It needs changing or scrapping.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:41 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:02 am
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:38 pm
Darcy has much to improve on, but he has a touch, feel and awareness that many in our team don't appear to possess and I find it difficult to believe he wouldn't improve us by playing, for example, on the left of the three in a 4-2-3-1.
Dropping Delf or Doyle? This is why I think we might be better switching back to a back three. Doyle is hobbled as the one up top.
We could avoid dropping either and have Delfouneso on the right of the three. Rotating between Darcy, Delfouneso and Isgrove as our wider options further forward feels pretty decent for this league. I'd rather them in possession in and around the final third than have our wing-backs in a 3-5-2 be the main providers of width. The 3-5-2 seems to me to be an unnecessarily convoluted way of trying to achieve our objective.

Crellin; Jones, Baptiste, Delaney, Gordon; Tutte, White; Darcy/Isgrove, Crawford, Delfouneso; Doyle. 4-2-3-1.

I think that's what I'd go for just now. What is probably our most reliable starting eleven in the most sensible formation. Sarcevic would be an option in that central two rather than at No.10 when he returns from injury.
Dropping Hickman then, just about the only player we've got who can cross... :?

Sorry Nicko, I'm not hounding you (or at least I'm not meaning to) – every elevation means a demotion, and let's face it at the minute we're rearranging deckchairs (almost literally with our defenders, given they're awkward, static and prone to collapse).

I haven't checked the stats yet - I'm working today so maybe later, and maybe I'll change my mind - but it felt like yesterday was as bad in terms of penetration as FGR, and therefore that the new formation may not be the predicted panacea. Particularly with Doyle, potentially our most potent weapon, it feels like he's both wasted in isolation and unable to fulfil the needs of the role - it's like Parky/ALF all over again, and we got promoted by switching to 3-5-2.

Moreover, barring Isgrove our squad is designed for wingbacks. While I like Darcy I don't think he's the white knight - I suspect we've got a bit of Andranik green-grass syndrome multiplied by forlorn hope for something, anything, to work - and if he's that good he can play in the No.10 role, for which Evatt mentioned him (and others) when overlooking Gareth Evans.

That No.10 role is a problem in either formation - 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-3-1. Crawford is simply not looking like bossing the division, but then I don't know whether he's suffering from this alleged positional rotation in midfield. Perhaps the answer to both is to flip the midfield triangle and instead of playing a No.10, pick a holder - probably Tutte, although Comley might work - with two players running forward in front of him.

That 4-3-3 - which won the Premier League last year, among other things - might solve our key problem: a lack of forward passes, the 10-yard diagonals that get you up the pitch. Maybe our players lack the vision or confidence to make them; maybe their mates lack the vision or discipline to make themselves available. But it's not working, and to be honest it's breaking down way before it gets anywhere near Doyle - unless he comes back over the halfway line in frustration.

As I say I wonder about returning to the back three, for a few reasons. I'm not sure the back four is working anyway, and the attack seems to have seized up completely: two games playing 4-2-3-1, zero goals.

I don't think Taft is as culpable as other defenders so I'd keep him, I'd have Delaney in the middle, and on the right I'd consider Gethin Jones - not the tallest but the same height as Brockbank and only an inch shorter than Baptiste. Besides, we've got height from the other two and Santos shows the importance of height compared to game-reading. Also, having Jones there would give us formational flexibility - whether temporarily or as a full formation switch he could move out to the right.

I'd have Hickman as the right wingback and probably Mascoll on the left just to give him a go and rotate Gordon out of the firing line. As I noted during the match and Dibs noted later, Gordon actually beat a man yesterday and the ball ended up in the net, but it was disallowed and five minutes later it was 0-2. Mascoll may not be as mentally scarred. It's worth a go.

With Delf closer to Doyler up front - although dropping off and wide as he tended to anyway - that leaves the midfield trio. I think we need Tutte's calm head in there and I'm among those who think White has been one of our better players; then it's hoping Crawford can discover his mojo - as I'm sure he could if he had sensible shortish balls to play rather than having to rake it 40 yards towards Doyle.

But all of this, or any formation, falls apart if we don't move while in possession - and we fall asleep when not.

I thought about a 4-3-3 and wouldn't be averse to us trying that, but I care less about formations currently, aside from the back four, and more about personnel. Basic competence is practically everything for me at this stage. I think Evatt feels the same judging by his post-match comments.

I just picked a starting eleven of players I thought we could most trust. I think Hickman looks a good player also, and would be happy to have him involved.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm

In this situation we need an experienced goalkeeper who will organise the defence & Crellin is just too inexperienced - we have all slagged Santos off (and deservedly so), but Evatt was definitely after him for a reason and he has lots of league 1 experience (60 odd games at Peterborough), so he's not become a donkey overnight.

The more I think about our situation defensively the more I think that perhaps it stems from Crellin not communicating with the back 4 ? although I could be wrong !

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:03 pm

I think that’s one of the problems.

You could perhaps get away with it with a young keeper and experienced defenders taking control of the situation but we seem to have both mute defenders and it’s not helping the keeper.