Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Barely 24 hours to go until this hotly-anticipated trip to Salop, where a bloke in a boat used to bag balls booted into the brook. All changed now like, and so may Bolton be for this Son Of Sherpa Van contest. Horny-handed acad grads Ronan Darcy and Adam Senior should start, says the gaffer, because they've deserved it and can you imagine their little faces etc. Over to Evatt:
It’s a very deserved chance. Both of them have worked really hard for us, so this is a great opportunity for them. We will be making changes – not so many as to get a fine – but we do have a couple of options we can switch around to keep things fresh. But as I have said before, I want to win every game. And the team I put out there will be capable of going and getting a result at Shrewsbury.
Isgrove, Miller, Greenidge and Baptiste are all out, although the latter two may be ready for Saturday, if "ready" is the right word. Anyway: it's a teatime kickoff in a competition where apparently anything goes, but you can watch along at home (details here).

COYWM.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Ten Quid? TEN QUID? You're out of your mind. :)

Here's a couple of summats, my ticket for the Torquay final was £10.00, whereas my ticket for the Bristol City final was £3.00

"We will be making changes – not so many as to get a fine". Oh yes, because it'll be so fecking obvious if we field a weakened side :lmfao:

He's beginning to make Keith Hill look sage, level-headed and knowledgeable. I'm becoming concerned.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:07 pm

He does talk. A lot! He’s still not at the Keith Hill ‘they’ve all got it in-for-me’ stage.

530, what a stupid time to kick off. Presumably to reduce costs? Less time for floodlights?

Josh Velas current club this I think.Apart from that and Sam Ricketts I know nowt. Sounds like he’s mixing the team up - fine - shame this game wasn’t last week though as we could do with same team / same result. Winning is a habit etc.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:10 pm
Ten Quid? TEN QUID? You're out of your mind. :)

Here's a couple of summats, my ticket for the Torquay final was £10.00, whereas my ticket for the Bristol City final was £3.00

"We will be making changes – not so many as to get a fine". Oh yes, because it'll be so fecking obvious if we field a weakened side :lmfao:

He's beginning to make Keith Hill look sage, level-headed and knowledgeable. I'm becoming concerned.

I think it's just a reference to the rules of the competition. We have to comply with various restrictions such as having a set number of players in our starting line-up who either played in our last match or will play in the next, players who have made a certain number of first-team appearances, etc. If we don't, we get hit with a financial penalty.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:10 am

Think it's fair to say Evatt will be making wholesale changes to the lineup. October is a packed month, with 8 games in 4 weeks so I would imagine the majority of Saturday's starting XI will be rested. Just spent a few minutes trying to work out who in the squad is a 'qualifying player'.

7.3  Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet

7.4  Qualifying Player means any Player who:
7.4.1  had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture

Delaney
Santos
Brockbank
Mascoll
Tutte
Sarcevic
Jones (injured)
Crawford
Delfouneso
Doyle

7.4.2  subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3  is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures (LG2, EFL Cup & EFL Trophy) in the same Season
Doyle - 6
Delfouneso - 6
Jones - 5
Santos - 5
Gordon - 5
White - 5
Comley - 4
Crawford - 4
Sarcevic - 4
Baptiste - 3 (injured)
Taft - 3
Hickman - 3

7.4.4  has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season)

Don’t think there’s too many players remaining that don’t feature on the above two lists and have 40 starting appearances, my best guesses without being bothered to dig around for their career starts
Miller (I would assume, but still injured)
Isgrove (probably, but still injured)
Gnahoua (maybe)

7.4.5  is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy
Tom White I believe but already included due to being in top 10 apps

I think the likes of Gordon, Taft, White and Comley will most likely start to fulfil the qualifying players requirement. Darcy and Senior will start having been name checked by Evatt. Then there's the likes of Alexander, Graham, Amoateng and Hurford-Lockett who could all make an appearance.

Not sure what Evatt does about RWB, probably the most physically demanding position in a 3-5-2. Tough to ask Hickman to play 3 games in 7 days, need some cover there and quick.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:21 am

He could revert to a back 4 and play Brockbank at right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:45 am

With Gethin probably out for "months not weeks", Evatt's hoping to sign a loan player at RWB.

Unless and until that happens, I'd have a look at Tom White there tonight, and rest Jak for Grimsby. I think Whitey has the positional nous and energy to fulfil that position. It's not perfect but I'd rather try tonight than in a league game, or run Hickman - who's still never played a full 90 minutes above Division Six, as far as I can see - until he breaks too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:55 am

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:10 am
Don’t think there’s too many players remaining that don’t feature on the above two lists and have 40 starting appearances, my best guesses without being bothered to dig around for their career starts
Miller (I would assume, but still injured)
Isgrove (probably, but still injured)
Gnahoua (maybe)
I make it (via Transfermarkt) that Gnahoua has 38 starts in relevant competitions, which is just below the threshold...

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:55 am
I make it (via Transfermarkt) that Gnahoua has 38 starts in relevant competitions, which is just below the threshold...
Ta 8)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Was talking about this competition with my mate I have the season ticket with. He hates it because if the u23 thing and refuses to watch. We were saying how a day trip to Wembley is nice, but since the playoffs arrived in 1990, hardly once-in-a-lifetime.
I discovered that only Crawley and Accrington in the EFL have never played there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Gotta say, I struggle to get excited by this compo too. All a bit pointless, especially with the U23 additions.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Was surprisec by the number of clubs who've been. But then, you get 6 a season in playoff finals and two in this so it adds up over 30 years.
We won the last pre-playoff one in 89, when it really mattered!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:20 pm

I think it's just a reference to the rules of the competition. We have to comply with various restrictions such as having a set number of players in our starting line-up who either played in our last match or will play in the next, players who have made a certain number of first-team appearances, etc. If we don't, we get hit with a financial penalty.
See, I know that demz da roolz and all that but I'm absolutely where Ian Holloway was about 10 years ago on this issue. As I recall, he found himself in lumber because he made 10 changes to his Blackpool side for a cup game against Villa. Upon receiving his £25K fine he pointed out the following - at the start of the season he was asked to submit the names of his 25? man first team squad, which he did. As manager of Blackpool FC it was then up to him and him alone as to which starting 11 he played from that squad for any particular game; they were after all a 25 man squad, not say a list of 15 gooduns and 10 also-rans.

I also remember seeing young Crawford limp off for the remainder of the season when we played City's kids in this cake and arse party last season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Some thoughts on possible players tonight:

Crellin has played every minute of every game. Goalkeepers don’t count in the “qualified players” restrictions so Evatt would be allowed to promote Alexander, who he left off the bench on Saturday. I’d like to see that, as it could be part of a notable Academy spine.

Evatt namechecked Adam Senior as deserving of a chance. The Boltonian hasn’t played since the pre-season defeat at Wigan, when he was one of six players subbed on 56 minutes after the roof caved in: the others were Delaney, Hickman, Mascoll and White, who have all made their way back to the fold at different rates, plus Charlie Adam, who hasn’t.

Senior was an unused sub against Crewe but should get some minuets this time. I don’t know if Evatt will go as far as to start Senior but he should start Taft, who’s not done much wrong but has stayed on the bench in three of the last four games.

I’d expect Gordon to rotate in for Mascoll, with the (slightly) older lefty having laid down a strong claim for the first-team berth. No bad thing.

On the right side we have no cover for Hickman, who should therefore be rested tonight. I’d try White on that side, but it’s worth noting that Tutte tired terribly after the hour at Harrogate, so he needs resting; Sarce was also blowing a bit and Crawford wheezed to the completion of just his third 90 minutes since re-signing. I’d rest all three if possible, with Comley, White and Darcy coming in, but if White is in the middle we’d need an (alternative) auxiliary right wing-back. Even in pre-season Evatt only played Hickman and Jones out there, except for one half at Colls when he tried Politic (as Gethin hadn’t signed). With Isgrove (and Miller) injured, and I suppose he could try Brockbank out there – unless he promotes Sonny Graham, but he’s been a lot further from the squad than the other Junior Whites: he played the last 11 minutes at Bamber Bridge and came on in injury time at Loughborough and Accrington, and hasn’t been in the match day squad since.

Up front, Doyle is the only outfielder to have played every minute of every game, but I bet he would willingly offer to play again given he’s broken his duck. And Fonz probably needs more rest as I bet he covered a LOT more yards on Saturday, and will need to do so again. So I’d try this Gnahoua lad against the side who signed him for League One action…

Alexander; Brockbank, Senior, Taft; White, Graham, Comley, Gordon; Darcy; Gnahoua, Doyle. Subs inc Amatoeng, Graham, Hurford-Lockett and is Faal even still alive?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm
See, I know that demz da roolz and all that but I'm absolutely where Ian Holloway was about 10 years ago on this issue. As I recall, he found himself in lumber because he made 10 changes to his Blackpool side for a cup game against Villa. Upon receiving his £25K fine he pointed out the following - at the start of the season he was asked to submit the names of his 25? man first team squad, which he did. As manager of Blackpool FC it was then up to him and him alone as to which starting 11 he played from that squad for any particular game; they were after all a 25 man squad, not say a list of 15 gooduns and 10 also-rans.
While I see the point, you might wish to be careful who you align yourself with, my old chum... :wink:

"You are allowed to have 25 players. They ask you to name them. They don't ask you to name your 11 and 14 substitutes. The rules are there." - Sir Alex Ferguson

"The Premier League set their criteria that you have to name a 25-man squad ahead of the season and effectively they then come back in a scarily big brother-type way and tell you those players aren't good enough or the manager hasn't got the right to name the team that he wants to name." – Karl Oyston

For the record, it wasn't a cup game, it was a Premier League game (you don't have to name your season squad for the Cup, as long as players are legally registered etc). He did indeed make 10 changes and get fined £25,000 - same numbers as Mick McCarthy the previous season with Wolves – although Holloway had also made nine changes for an FA Cup game two months later.

And from where I sit, he's being somewhat disingenuous. Not only because a few years later, as manager of QPR, he somehow had the neck to say “The FA Cup is a magnificent competition. It’s been belittled in recent years, because the Premier League is seen as the be-all-and-end-all nowadays." But because he clearly was picking a shadow side: the 10 outfielders he picked only managed 36 other league starts between them all season, and 10 of those were one player (Keith Southern, of course). These lads weren't knocking on the door, they were down the corridor and round the corner.

None of which helps the poor old FLT, limping along in its curious fashion. But when we're asked to stump up a tenner for this sort of game which always ends up a semi-reserves job at best, remember it's the managers who made it that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:52 pm

Aye, that were it - I think he decided to write the Villa game off as the game after it was more a 'six-pointer'.
Now, I'm not necessarily aligning myself with Holloway, simply using his example in that instance. I'm glad you take my point though re it being the manager's prerogative as to who he plays.
As such, I think Evatt too has the right to name his team tonight.
Personally though, as manger of both my own time and finances I'll be investing neither in this evening's goings-on, regardless as to what side he puts out :)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Alexander; Brockbank, Senior, Taft; White, Graham, Comley, Gordon; Darcy; Gnahoua, Doyle. Subs inc Amatoeng, Graham, Hurford-Lockett and is Faal even still alive?
DSB I don't think that Doyle should be anywhere near the squad tonight, if he gets injured in such a meaningless game (as Bruce pointed out about Crawford last season), then we are absolutely fecked, Miller is still injured so we have no replacement for the weekend if Doyle gets injured.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 pm

DSB I don't think that Doyle should be anywhere near the squad tonight, if he gets injured in such a meaningless game (as Bruce pointed out about Crawford last season), then we are absolutely fecked, Miller is still injured so we have no replacement for the weekend if Doyle gets injured.
In totally unrelated news, ALF was outside the UniBol this morning.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:48 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:43 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

His cousin's son (?) Kian is on the bench. Kian Le Fondre is 15.
Crellin; Senior, Delaney, Taft; Hickman, White, Comley, Gordon; Darcy; Gnahoua, Lockett.
Subs: Alexander, Mascoll, Greenidge, Conway (squad no 40), Tweedley (41), Le Fondre (42), Riley (44).
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 16.49.33.png
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 16.49.33.png (2.18 MiB) Viewed 2246 times
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:48 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:43 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

His cousin's son (?) Kian is on the bench. Kian Le Fondre is 15.
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 16.49.33.png
I don't mind it. It scans.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.