Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm

Was Greenidge that bad? Clean sheet with him on second half?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Whither the burke in the coracle? Shrewsbury (A), FLT, Tue 6 Oct @ 5.30pm(!)

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm
I think he was brought on to snap Josh Vela and get sent off however he didn't know what to do as his mission was thwarted by Sam Ricketts.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:53 pm

I thought Vela was still on strike anyway, probably with Dave Wheater

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm
As in previous games where teams had got a comfortable lead against us, they sat off a bit. We made more of a fist of it than we have on a few occasions, with the kids particularly looking sparky - Darcy, Riley and Hickman.

Senior didn't look out of place but nor did he look as comfortable as Brocky did on that side on Saturday.

Delaney was solid again, rattling into tackles, but can get caught flat-footed - as possibly for the first goal.

Taft made an awful mistake to gift them the lead - cheers, skipper - but was otherwise alright except a shaky five minutes after he moved into the middle to accommodate Greenidge.

Greenidge is odd. Sometimes he looks capable, sometimes awful. Poundshop Santos. Now there's a concept.

Hickman played his usual game - energy and occasional brain farts - and managed the 90, so let's hope he's not goosed for Saturday.

White looked good (bar pen) but his injury looked bad. We'll see.

His replacement Riley was caught out for their second but that was a dumb-ass throw to him from Hickman. Looked confident and comfortable on the ball.

Comley looked mostly tidy but rarely like opening anything up.

Gordon is more of the same: either short on confidence or doesn't know how to stand. Always seems to be pointing in the wrong direction.

Darcy was part of a front three really, buzzing about on the left (and then the right late on). Looked confident and decent.

Lockett looked lost in the middle of the front three. Not a good night for him.

Gnahoua is yet another who fluctuates between looking like a footballer then looking like an extra in a football film, or a badly-programmed sprite.

Mascoll came on as the high-left attacker and didn't do a lot.

As a whole, a young team didn't look awful against a League One side who'd only made four changes from the weekend compared to our nine. But you do suspect Shrews had gears to spare. Worried about White but otherwise, not a disastrous night. Bit meh but Riley looks a player and Darcy looked sparky.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Greenidge setup the goal for Senior though so that's something.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Glad they didn't give up and get pumped after the mistakes. Probably did a few of them a lot of good.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:41 am

Help, I don't speak Spanish.

Is this...good?

"Absolutamente todos errores defensivos nuestros"
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:27 am

Without wanting to sound overly callous, is it likely White will be going back to Blackburn if he's got a serious injury?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:41 am
Help, I don't speak Spanish.

Is this...good?

"Absolutamente todos errores defensivos nuestros"
:lol:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 am

Recommend everyone watches Adam Seniors interview. If ever there was a lad made up at simply playing for his hometown club that’s it. Really hope he does well and makes it here.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 am
Recommend everyone watches Adam Seniors interview. If ever there was a lad made up at simply playing for his hometown club that’s it. Really hope he does well and makes it here.
Is he Jon Senior's lad btw?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Yes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:24 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:41 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Yes.
Just watched the video and he reminded me very much of his dad. Used to bump into him in town years ago. An absolutely lovely guy who so desperately wanted to make it with the Wanderers. Alas, it wasn't to be and the last time I saw him I think he'd gone playing for Horwich RMI.

As Dibble attests - watching this lad's interview is highly recommended. I defy anyone to watch it without bursting into a MASSIVE smile. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:34 pm

His smile at 0.32 - it does something to a parent, that. Is it dusty in here?

Highlights:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:38 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

When Dave Flitcroft was assistant, he asked for one of the academy squad players to show his face at my lads football training session (Nov 2019). Adam turned up. He was fantastic with the under 11's team and stopped for the full hour training session playing 5-aside with them all. He then stayed while they individually had his photo taken with the players.

A really nice lad who seemed happy to give his time up for the evening. I am made up for him and he couldn't hide his smile even though we lost. I'm hoping he makes it as a pro with us. A credit to the club and his parents.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 pm

It's just one match and one highlight reel, but this is encouraging:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/analysis_bwfc/statu ... 97888?s=19[/tweet]

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 pm
It's just one match and one highlight reel, but this is encouraging:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/analysis_bwfc/statu ... 97888?s=19[/tweet]
Yes he looks a decent player Regan Riley, he's certainly got more about him than most of the other youngsters - he looks quite tall, gets stuck in and isn't shrugged off the ball easy, and he gets about the pitch. It is only one game but he certainly looks a player.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:03 pm

Riley is either physically more there or he has more of a presence about him. Connell has that presence when he broke through - be good if Riley can do the same, particularly as there is an opportunity now with the White injury.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:12 pm

I particularly like the two instances of him aggressively putting pressure on the midfielder dropping to collect from their centre-back. Both times it resulted in us winning possession deep in their half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:47 am

I've obviously not seen him play till watching that clip but obviously a totally different type of player but just a few instances there of how he receives the ball and moves that reminded me of watching a young Eidur Gudjohnsen....anyone else see that or am I mad?