Oh My Cod! Will we put them in their Plaice? Grimsby Town (H), League 2, Saturday 10th October @ 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Oh My Cod! Will we put them in their Plaice? Grimsby Town (H), League 2, Saturday 10th October @ 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:38 am

SarcTutte.jpg
SarcTutte.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Sarc/Tutte heatmap = pretty deep
HickmanMascoll.jpg
HickmanMascoll.jpg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Hickman/Mascoll predominantly down the right.
crawffonz.jpg
crawffonz.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Crawford and Fonz - largely in the same place...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Oh My Cod! Will we put them in their Plaice? Grimsby Town (H), League 2, Saturday 10th October @ 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:39 am

forwards.jpg
forwards.jpg (45.8 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
Crawford and Fonz, with added Doyle --- nearer our HW line

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Anyone else remember Global Hypercolour t-shirts? 🙂
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:47 pm

0-0 against a decent side would be encouraging. 0-0 against a side who have been in isolation for 2 weeks without training and in their two games thus far haven’t troubled the scorers may be less to do with us than them?

The basic problem is that there are fundamental issues with performances. After the win last week you’d hope and expect us to kick on. But for all the reasons outlined above that wasn’t a 0-0 to build on it was just a shoddy performance where the same old problems resurfaced. I don’t see progress - if we’d kicked on from the win sure but I’m just not seeing it. Too many seem way off form to the point where I’d suggest it perhaps is down to unhappiness or a lack of trust in coaching etc.....

And for all the tactical analysis I’m not even sure that’s the issue. Evatt said post match we didn’t show enough desire to win the game. I think that’s probably true. Yesterday a win was there if we’d penned them in worked hard and kept putting the ball in the box. Too many of ours didn’t want to do the work required to make that happen. And it is hard work. But you need to do that to earn the right to score goals.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Goal posts moved? Be careful what you wish for as you're always going to be disappointed.

The team is going to come up against teams that are going to sit back and absorb the pressure. We lacked it in the final 3rd, which is something given time will get better. They are into their 7th game? and the team has changed quite a lot barring the 2 last league games.

Confidence in one's own ability and your team mates happens over time. We're going to have bad games. Sign of a good team is getting something out of it when you're playing bad. We didn't lose. How many shots did they have on target versus our back 3? We bossed possession and Ian Holloway will be glad they came away with a point. Let your inabitions go and enjoy the ride. It's like being on an aircraft with someone who's always saying it could crash.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Goal posts moved? Be careful what you wish for as you're always going to be disappointed.

The team is going to come up against teams that are going to sit back and absorb the pressure. We lacked it in the final 3rd, which is something given time will get better. They are into their 7th game? and the team has changed quite a lot barring the 2 last league games.

Confidence in one's own ability and your team mates happens over time. We're going to have bad games. Sign of a good team is getting something out of it when you're playing bad. We didn't lose. How many shots did they have on target versus our back 3? We bossed possession and Ian Holloway will be glad they came away with a point. Let your inabitions go and enjoy the ride. It's like being on an aircraft with someone who's always saying it could crash.
There are no goalposts though perhaps they were moving yesterday and that accounts for why we didn’t manage a shot on target?

I don’t think a 0-0 at home to Grimsby without a shot on goal is something you’d expect anyone to praise or be happy about. I think something is currently fundamentally wrong beyond just teammates getting used to each other or tactical refinement. The issue extends beyond organisation too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:11 pm

DJBlu wrote:

Yeah I had it more down to missing a bit of nous and guile rather than not trying hard enough. It does seem to be a bit of a problem for us at the mo, though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:22 am

Suspect Sarcevic isn’t fully fit. Crawford’s the one we need more out of, flashes now and then but nowhere near what we hoped for when he signed on again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:11 pm
DJBlu wrote:

Yeah I had it more down to missing a bit of nous and guile rather than not trying hard enough. It does seem to be a bit of a problem for us at the mo, though.
We definitely miss nous and guile. But, Grimsby were pants and knackered. Even with limited players in the past we'd have penned them in kept them in there and just kept the ball going into the box. And probably we'd have scored. And frankly I doubt they'd have been able to reply. There was a chance to run and press and build a lot of pressure, especially from 60 minutes onwards as Grimsby started to look a bit leggy. It was hard work to do it, but I think it would have won us the game or at least created a chance or two. I just didn't see us as a team look to do it - Evatt himself said so following the game.

If we were playing a better side then sure - the high press and the work involved is a risk in our current state. But the game was there to at least be pushed and personally I feel something is wrong with the spirit of this side more than the tic tacs (which aren't right yet but to be expected).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 am

It's hard to make any fundamental calls this early though. It's an entirely brand new squad with a new manager trying to do something "different".

Who were hyped and then struggled immediately. It's not surprising they look a little lacking in confidence. That is the sort of thing that takes time. 4 points from two games is two fewer than we'd have hoped for but it's a foundation.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:22 pm

BWFC Analysis is doing God's work again on Twitter, clipping and analysing, assessing Evatt's assessment of the wingbacks among other things. Tis pity he (or she) doesn't do a blog as it'd be easier to get all the jewels, but here's some threads.

On Tutte: On Mascoll: seven video clips plus one of Gordon - click here

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm

BWFC Analysis on Hickman: (again, vid clips aplenty here) ...and a couple o'chuckles at Bap's expense

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:15 pm

That's a cracking Twitter account.

The Mascoll clips they've posted tally with my own recollection of his performance, namely that he played pretty well. I think he looks a solid option going both ways and Gordon as an attack-minded back-up is fine.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:30 pm

I must be one of very few that though the team performed quite well. The passing was better as was the forward play, It's just that last third of the patch where we are clueless. Santos was a rock at the heart of defence. We simply cannot score goals.
I think we have to view this from a different angle, we are fourth division and the footy will be less impressive than other higher leagues. Us Bolton fans are used to football like this, we have encountered it for far too long.
If the management can address this lack of goals I can see no reason why we can't play for a play off spot at least, it isn't too late, well, not yet anyhow.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Cheltenham 1-3 Grimsby this evening. Cheltenham had won three of their opening four games.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Cheltenham 1-3 Grimsby this evening. Cheltenham had won three of their opening four games.
But Grimsby are shit? How did this happen? They've only had 2 weeks training etc.

It's insane to think they are anything other than shit.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am

DJBlu wrote:
    Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 am
    TonyDomingos wrote:

:D
    Às armas, às armas!
    Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
    Às armas, às armas!
    Pela Pátria lutar!
    Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
    Immortal
    Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 am

Unless they were all own goals, they clearly managed at least 3 on target in this one. A couple of disappointing elements:

1) They've gone above us in the League
    2) Based on that one result, we're the most misfiring team for goals in the League - with just 2

Oldham have bagged 16 goals across 9 games this season...Saturday might be interesting.

Dave Sutton's barnet
    Immortal
    Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
    Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 am
    Oldham have bagged 16 goals across 9 games this season...Saturday might be interesting.
    Yeah, but four of those were in the Sherpa Van against Wolves' kids (three of them in the last five minutes) and another three in their opening League Cup game. Which is nice for them and all, and I'd take those goals at the moment, but in their five league games they've scored 7 - one to put them ahead, three equalisers and three "to cut the deficit". The latter six show they're game, but also show the problem: they've notably conceded 13, or 2.6 per game – nobody in the Football League has conceded more. If we can't score against these, I'll start to worry.

nicholaldo
    Passionate
    Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:51 pm

DJBlu wrote:
    Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 am
    TonyDomingos wrote:
    But Grimsby are shit? How did this happen? They've only had 2 weeks training etc.

I take your point but, to be fair, they made five changes from Saturday.