Oldham or fold em, but no full house in sight..

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Oldham or fold em, but no full house in sight..

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Sorry, but I really am struggling to believe what I've just seen. With a minute left we have a free kick, and the best we can do is to pump it into the mixer on the 18 yard line, pub league style, and hope for the best. Their lad runs the entire length of the pitch, completely unchallenged and scores. That's the best we can muster at a time when we are actually in the Pound seats to take the game late on? Kenny Evatt is a fecking crook.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm

I’d take Parkys mum over this clown. Parky is now too good for us, Evatt will get binned at Christmas and we’ll end up with Phoenix deciding to dust of his championship manager coaching routines until the end of the season.

Seriously Sharon - there is not a chance in hell I’m travelling 2 hours to watch non-league football.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Ian Evatt: “I’m disgusted with that performance...that wasn’t a team of mine out there, that was gutless” #bwfc

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm
Sorry, but I really am struggling to believe what I've just seen. With a minute left we have a free kick, and the best we can do is to pump it into the mixer on the 18 yard line, pub league style, and hope for the best. Their lad runs the entire length of the pitch, completely unchallenged and scores. That's the best we can muster at a time when we are actually in the Pound seats to take the game late on? Kenny Evatt is a fecking crook.
All of that is true but across the 90 plus minutes Oldham were the better side. They deserved to win. Even if they shouldn’t have because that bloke should have been chopped well before he got near our box.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:29 pm

I thought we were good for a point. Admittedly with a team who started the day bottom of the football league.

That was shite, but lots of us said before the season it would take time. He gets time for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Evatt says we are trying hard enough and players are comfortable here now that they are at a big club and think they’ve made it. I’ve been saying that for weeks. Not nearly enough effort and application. Doyle and Crawford prime examples for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:29 pm
I thought we were good for a point. Admittedly with a team who started the day bottom of the football league.

That was shite, but lots of us said before the season it would take time. He gets time for me.
I think there's different amounts of time, to achieve different things. I suspect "time" in the context of the discussion was time to make a push for playoffs/promotion not "time" to make it look like we'd ever met on the training pitch.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Absolutely.

Teams are coming to the UniBol and treating it like their big day. We've got 40 more cup games as no team is going to roll over and have their bellies tickled. The team mentality needs to be stronger, we need to be nastier.

Changing the man at the top will just continue the vicious cycle. Dare I say Ian Evatt's success came in his 2nd season at Barrow. Imagine if they'd got rid of him when it wasn't going well there too.

It's going to take time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm
Ian Evatt: “I’m disgusted with that performance...that wasn’t a team of mine out there, that was gutless” #bwfc

“I don’t know where to start,”

We've noticed.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm

This season was always about staying above the drop zone and hoping to push up the table in the second half of the season. Anyone expecting different with the situation at the club was dreaming. I'm also sick of losing and playing like shit, but this was always how it was going to be and we have to ride it out and give the management team time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm

The first thing to do is to ban passing sideways or back. Just ban it. We are a team that needs tempo. So do everything quickly. Failing that lump it diagonally 40 yards and into touch to get us up the pitch. Simplify the game hugely. Spend as much time in the oppositions half as possible putting balls into their box from all angles. Put a big lad up the middle. There isn’t a magic solution beyond trying to make the game easier and simpler for Limited quality players.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm
This season was always about staying above the drop zone and hoping to push up the table in the second half of the season. Anyone expecting different with the situation at the club was dreaming. I'm also sick of losing and playing like shit, but this was always how it was going to be and we have to ride it out and give the management team time.
What? Since when was this season about staying above the drop zone? It was Evatt who said his target was to win the League...It was Evatt that kept telling us each signing was the complete (insert position here) and it was Evatt that was telling us we needed minor tinkering on the training ground because what was happening in training was looking really great.

On the season's expectations thread, I downgraded from playoffs to top half after two games, but I don't expect us to be this shit at this point in the season. I'm not in trigger mode, but it is not dreaming to think we should be looking better than we are at this juncture.

Very poor.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm
The first thing to do is to ban passing sideways or back. Just ban it. We are a team that needs tempo. So do everything quickly. Failing that lump it diagonally 40 yards and into touch to get us up the pitch. Simplify the game hugely. Spend as much time in the oppositions half as possible putting balls into their box from all angles. Put a big lad up the middle. There isn’t a magic solution beyond trying to make the game easier and simpler for Limited quality players.
It's just not how the game is played anymore, even in League Two. Last season it was a lot of three at the back and passing football in this league. Good wing play too. You're not going to persuade this new generation of managers to play 80s lumpball. They have come up through academies that have taught them to play with the ball at feet. We can win football matches playing well, but at the minute they are not working hard enough.

I'd say our biggest issue right now is none of that open play stuff, it's that we are awful at set pieces. We have had loads of chances to grab goals from corners and free kicks and we are just awful at them.

If Phoenix wants to mimic American sports with his Moneyball crap he might also consider getting Evatt to hire a set piece coordinator.

Set pieces make and break teams in our position. That's the place to be old school. At the minute we are not scrapping for headers and second balls in the box. It's pathetic. If we can grab goals from set pieces then we can afford to be crap for a while in our general play whilst Evatt gets it sorted.

That last minute goal summed us up. Crap set piece and they're on the counter with us huffing and puffing to catch them. Then our defender has to be a man and just smash the guy with the ball. Mascoll had to take man and ball. At that stage getting a red doesn't matter. You clean the lad out and worry about it later. For more Americana, we are playing like pussies.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm
What? Since when was this season about staying above the drop zone? It was Evatt who said his target was to win the League...It was Evatt that kept telling us each signing was the complete (insert position here) and it was Evatt that was telling us we needed minor tinkering on the training ground because what was happening in training was looking really great.

On the season's expectations thread, I downgraded from playoffs to top half after two games, but I don't expect us to be this shit at this point in the season. I'm not in trigger mode, but it is not dreaming to think we should be looking better than we are at this juncture.

Very poor.
Since we lost our entire playing staff apart from the kids and had to try and rebuild a side with a rookie manager under a transfer embargo.

Evatt is a dick, if we are being honest for a moment. He's a self-help book brought to life by a spell from a Poundland book of magic. Of course he was carrying on about winning the league and playing like Barca with the top class players they had magically found using the electric thinking engines. He can't help himself. You can't believe anything Evatt says, because he reads books about leadership that tell him that leaders have to project confidence at all times. IE will go home and either drink or cry, or both...he can still manage this team to success in the mid term. He has shown at Barrow that he can get a team playing. He has also shown that it takes time and he needs players to buy into his Mr Motivator schtick. He will struggle more the higher up the leagues he goes, but I think he can do it at this level given time.

I said at the start of the season that success this season was stabilising in the league and I maintain that. Expecting an entirely new group of bargains and rejects to storm the league was crazy.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Great open & honest post match interview from Evatt, he's not blameless as it was baffling to see Comley & Gordon start today and his substitutions are as bad as previous BWFC managers, but I do like his passion & honesty and you can see that he's hurting - hopefully he's learning which players he can trust on the pitch but the team are so half hearted & passionless its piss poor.

Every team we play works harder & want it way more than our soft as shite choir boy players who just amble / stroll back without a care in the world. This squad needs a rocket up there arses - but we have missed the boat IMO with Phoenix's piss poor recruitment, we needed a tough / hard central midfield ball winner and a big centre forward to hold the ball up and bring others into play but it looks like we haven't even looked at these types of player.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 pm

I defy anyone to watch the goals we’ve conceded this season and conclude the management team are doing a good job. A bloke has literally run the whole length of the field to score a 95th minute winner. Why did no c*nt take him out at any point?

I don’t have a fecking clue what we are trying to achieve. There is no coherent game plan. The signings are woeful. If we stay up it will be a success now!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Spot on above BW btw...recruitment is seriously wanting. When the next manager is appointed he’ll be straight up to Sharon (hopefully without Yobias in his way with his championship manager database) saying midfield hard man and a target man please...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm
Great open & honest post match interview from Evatt, he's not blameless as it was baffling to see Comley & Gordon start today and his substitutions are as bad as previous BWFC managers, but I do like his passion & honesty and you can see that he's hurting - hopefully he's learning which players he can trust on the pitch but the team are so half hearted & passionless its piss poor.

Every team we play works harder & want it way more than our soft as shite choir boy players who just amble / stroll back without a care in the world. This squad needs a rocket up there arses - but we have missed the boat IMO with Phoenix's piss poor recruitment, we needed a tough / hard central midfield ball winner and a big centre forward to hold the ball up and bring others into play but it looks like we haven't even looked at these types of player.
:pray:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm
Not at all for me. We've appointed a manager and assembled a squad to a plan of playing a certain way. It's different, and there was always a good chance it could take time.. There have been obvious steps forward for me from the start of the season, albeit we've got from absolute garbage to very bad.

We've gone from looking like conceding everytime they get the ball in the box, to only looking conceding everytime we give the ball away :D

Defensive set pieces are an example where we've gone from hapless to pretty good today.

Noone is suggesting it's fine if we have another 20 games of this, but it's still yet to click going forwards. That will take time with a team of strangers. You can see Doyle act Crawford looking for each other but on different wavelengths.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.