Man up if you wanna go up. Bradford City (H). EFL League 2. 7pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Man up if you wanna go up. Bradford City (H). EFL League 2. 7pm KO

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:14 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:12 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:08 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:59 pm
Some of those free kicks given against Darcy at the end were outrageous!
Playing 5 mins 40 secs when 4 goes up on the board is also frustrating.

One was for an elbow. :lol: :lol:

Must have felt like a needle.
:D I was screaming at him to square that late chance to Crawford but given his finishing tonight perhaps the corner flag was the right option.
I shouted "square it to Crawford" and the wife says "You've said he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo all night"

So in hindsight it was great game management.
I'm reckoning we all did the same!

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Well deserved 3 points - very impressive 1st half & we should have been 2 or 3 up IMO - 2nd half we either tired a lot or Bradford stepped it up. Delaney immense, Tutte again decent, Crawford better apart from his finish, Sarce is showing us the player that he can be & I've given Baptiste loads but he was ok for me, however we really need to be finishing our chances as that was nervy at the end but the football is very good to watch, the best for many a year - and we are definitely getting better with every game, but our fitness is a concern we do seem to tire quickly.

Crellin he kept us in it with the pen save, but he is still not very good IMO. Considering our injuries with no attackers on the bench it was a great win, hopefully get some players back at the weekend - Miller, Isgrove, White etc....maybe Doyle ?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Thought about what the score would have been in the first half if Doyle had been on. They would have been dead and buried. 1-0 gives them hope and thanks to Crellin he's got us the 2 points he lost us on Saturday.

Look at the cross after he saved that penalty, he actually caught it. His confidence was booming. The lad isn't terrible just not up to the level we need. If he can get better with every game he'll be fine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm
Thought about what the score would have been in the first half if Doyle had been on. They would have been dead and buried. 1-0 gives them hope and thanks to Crellin he's got us the 2 points he lost us on Saturday.

Look at the cross after he saved that penalty, he actually caught it. His confidence was booming. The lad isn't terrible just not up to the level we need. If he can get better with every game he'll be fine.
Crellin is a long way from being our worst player or even biggest problem.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:43 pm

When was the last time Jak Hickman got on the field? Peter am has been quality don’t get me wrong but feel for the lad as he was looking decent!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Crellin is a long way from being our worst player or even biggest problem.
61j4bBPYN1L._AC_SY400_-1.jpg
61j4bBPYN1L._AC_SY400_-1.jpg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
:lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:58 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:43 pm
When was the last time Jak Hickman got on the field? Peter am has been quality don’t get me wrong but feel for the lad as he was looking decent!
Agree dibs, think he just struck unlucky that Kioso hit the ground running. Think Jones would have the same problem

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:43 pm
I'm in the same frame of mind here. Seems like a clear indication that Evatt wanted quality of delivery brought in and Kioso seems like a very astute acquisition. Hickman looks promising and to be able to create that many crossing chances (albeit with little end product) seems good but a work in progress.

I'd persist with Kioso and maybe try Hickman elsewhere as it looks like he's got enough to contribute.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:20 pm

Oh and Kioso is a very good player too good for L2, and Arthur is improving every game - both played well tonight as did Brockbank who looks to be adapting to this LWB position better than expected.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Second half Barrer. Saturday and today. All felt like they were trying to play for each other. Even when we were under the cosh. We lost some shape and defended deeper, but it didn't feel like we lost heart. Progress.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:37 pm

This passion is a good indicator as to why we were good at the back. I think Santos and Baptiste would have eaten any player that caused a goal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:50 pm

Yup saw that. Mascoll just let the guy go. That's part of what I meant playing for each other.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 pm
Second half Barrer. Saturday and today. All felt like they were trying to play for each other. Even when we were under the cosh. We lost some shape and defended deeper, but it didn't feel like we lost heart. Progress.
Exactly this. A couple of weeks ago I said the fight wasn’t there. It is now. It’s far from perfect but out the effort in and points follow. Can’t let our standards dip...by no means are we significantly better than most In this division. If we graft and work hard then we are good enough to challenge the upper echelons. But we need to work harder to get there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:10 pm

I thought Brockbank was unlucky to be subbed. He was up and down and didn’t seem to tire - Evatt does love to swap his wing backs! I didn’t rate Mascoll at all - he doesn’t look match sharp at all to me. He could do with getting some games under his belt - he’s a big strong lad so fits the bill. Had opportunities to get in behind their defence which was pushing up and wasted them.

Other than that...find Crawford’s shooting boots and get Doyle fit, with Miller and Ipsgrove to come back we are starting to look like the mid table side we all hoped we could be!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:22 pm

Get the tug boats out, she's coming out of the docks :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:22 pm
Some twatterati already broke the champers! :-)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:22 pm
Some twatterati already broke the champers! :-)

I'm feeling .... Titanic.

(October and it's already Clinton Baptiste time)
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 am

We won. We absolutely had to win and we did. Job done. The next two games are now winnable. If we'd lost vs Bradford I think we'd have lost away at Orient, but we have a platform now.

Baptiste had his first good game for us. He can't make recovery sprints, which is a major issue, but he played the role we all thought he'd been brought in for - reading the game and covering for others. I've slated him this season, but well done to him for that display.

Santos is now the leader at the back and looks like a rock. Night and day from the bag of mistakes we were seeing at first and that's got to make everyone happy. Our big defensive issue (aside from Crellin) now comes from midfield. I understand why people like Tutte, but he leaves us vulnerable in and around the D when the opposition come forward due to his inability to read danger. Bradford had a couple of good chances there and really should have scored. Tutte is always drawn to the ball, as hes used to being the spare mid who covers the near pass and it leaves us very open. That'll need fixing on the training ground if we are to push on.

The attacking four caused real problems and were braver on the ball than we've seen, which was great. Obviously the finishing and some of the decision making was crap, but the "giving a shit" aspect is there now and the rest should come over time.

It's gradual steps now. This should become our new "minimum acceptable" performance that we build on. It's now about maintaining standards and implementing all the drills for 20-30 games in order to develop a culture. It should be that by the last dozen games of the season we are the team nobody wants to play. The next big test will be when we have that game where it all falls apart again and we get smashed for 90 minutes. If the players react well after that game, when it comes, then Evatt is set.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:54 am

What are people’s thoughts on Gnouha? I thought he worked hard without ever actually looking useful. He wins the ball in the air but seemed to flick it back and up to nobody a lot of the time? Played some neat passes in and around the box but he was never in a position to score.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:56 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:54 am
What are people’s thoughts on Gnouha? I thought he worked hard without ever actually looking useful. He wins the ball in the air but seemed to flick it back and up to nobody a lot of the time? Played some neat passes in and around the box but he was never in a position to score.
I mean he doesn't look like a striker to me. More like a forward who'd do well in the Delfouneso role but less well leading the line. When he's looked good is when he's running with the ball.

So yeah up front right now - we've got a problem!