We three kings of Orient (A)re. Saturday 31 @ 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

We three kings of Orient (A)re. Saturday 31 @ 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Generally, I'm an advocate of team consistency and stability. I wasn't too surprised that we picked the "Cambridge" team for Bratfurt's visit on Tuesday. Good performance on Saturday and Tuesday (First Half) and we've had four days off. I'd like to stick with the same team, but I'm not sure how knackered they are - some of them apparently ran as far as Brucie does.

White is supposed to be back around, but I'm not sure any of the subs have covered themselves in glory (not saying they all played bad, but glory covering is a step up)…

If raring to go and not knackered, I'd stick with team that started Tuesday.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: We three kings of Orient (A)re. Saturday 31 @ 15:00

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm thinking we need to be a couple of goals ahead,not just one but more-so, keep playing for 90 mins. No complaints about any sort of a win, but we sound like we can move on a bit now. I speak only from text reports, granted but.....

We haven't much gold right now, but we already have Frankingsense (cough), a couple of wise men and a few "mares"and and Leyton is hardly East of much. So, Come on you Whites, let's have a merry Christmas... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Heads - Brockbank's up top. Tails - he's in the nets :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but at this stage in the season, for them that haven't been injured, shouldn't they all be able to play two games in five days?

I can't really see any obvious swaps that I'd make to the starting XI from Tuesday, fitness permitting. I really hope Evatt uses his subs earlier tomorrow, though. Last match I thought he waited an unreasonably long time to make changes when some starters were clearly on their last legs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:44 pm
Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but at this stage in the season, for them that haven't been injured, shouldn't they all be able to play two games in five days?
It's two games in five, but also nine in 29 days between the Oldham defeat and the Salford home game in a fortnight's time: we're playing Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat and this is the exact midpoint of that run.

Crellin, Santos, Delaney, Kioso and Sarcevic have played all 360 minutes; all four games have featured Crawford (338 minutes), Brockbank (302) and Gnahoua (232), while another six players have featured in three of them - Baptiste, Comley, Tutte, Gordon, Fonz and Doyle, and the latter's soft-tissue injury is a warning.
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:44 pm
I can't really see any obvious swaps that I'd make to the starting XI from Tuesday, fitness permitting. I really hope Evatt uses his subs earlier tomorrow, though. Last match I thought he waited an unreasonably long time to make changes when some starters were clearly on their last legs.
I fully agree, and as I posted at the time he's (not) done it before - against Bradford (Lge Cup), Colchester, Barrow and Cambridge he only made two subs, so that's 4 out of 11 games that would have been 5 out of 12 if he hadn't sent on Darcy in injury time.

But then, at this stage in the season, for them that haven't been injured, shouldn't they be all able to play 90 minutes? :P

Seriously though, the fact he's so keen on getting them doing doggies and logging their distances doesn't sit well with not playing a 14-man game. Yes, other teams are playing lots of games too, but they don't all play a high press. We can't go on forever without bits dropping off. He may soon have to decide which of his other players he trusts, or Doyler might not be the last to break down.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:37 pm

I think it's currently difficult for Evatt to make many changes because beyond what is now proving to be our settled starting eleven I don't think there are many he feels he can trust. It's stating the obvious to point out those typically named on the substitutes' bench are less favoured than those who are typically named in the starting eleven, but it feels to me that of the players we've had available over the last few weeks there's quite a gulf between our best team and the rest.

Hopefully, that's something that will improve once our injured players return to fitness.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:44 pm

I was at Brisbane Rd the last time we played Orient and, in normal times, this would have been very high on my list of "must attend" fixtures of the season. I'll console myself with my first iFollow instead. 0-2 to Ian Evatt's Super White Army.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:45 am

You'd think the obvious changes would be Baptiste (due to his age) the wing backs (due to the physical demands) and Sarce (he recently recovered from an injury).

As well as Brockbank and Kioso have done, you'd be hard pressed to find a fan who'd begrudge Hickman another chance to impress and it'd be hard to argue with giving one of the lefties another shot. Baps was never going to be a 3 games a week player and we don't want to push Sarce until he breaks.

Art and Delf should both be reasonably fresh. Art has only player one and a half games and Delf got a break due to the birth of his son.

Should be an interesting one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am

I think Sarce is a difficult one. He went through the Resantos machine three four games ago and came out like a new Santos.

Wouldn't be dreading Hickman getting a kick (although Kioso been better for me, Hickman wasn't bad).

LWB, I think we've really only just "found" the left. Credit to Brocky. But if he's shagged, he's shagged.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:06 am

Brockbanks been subbed after an hour or so in both games. We’ll see. I’m expecting Tutte to be rotated. White might be back fit or Comley gets another go. Baptiste looked as fit as he has all season on Tuesday - be a shame to drop him!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:03 pm

We have a lot of defensive options to rotate, but I for one don't like to change a solid defense which works. Lets see what Evatt does.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am

Wouldn't be dreading Hickman getting a kick (although Kioso been better for me, Hickman wasn't bad).
Hmmm. Hmmmmmm. I'm yet to see Hickman take on a defender or deliver a cross beyond the first opposition player in the box. Far from impressed with this lad to press, however, the night is still young etc.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:17 pm
I'm yet to see Hickman...deliver a cross beyond the first opposition player in the box.
Honestly, I find that surprising. He's put in some absolutely superb crosses.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:07 pm

TEAM NEWS: Unchanged. White on bench (repacking Taft).
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Unchanged team announced. Happy with that assuming Evatt knows if they're knackered or not.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Happy enough enough with the starting lineup, but only really Darcy as an attacking option on the bench again.

Slightly surprised not to see Isgrove on the bench as Evatt's been making noises about him being fit.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:31 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:18 pm
Happy enough enough with the starting lineup, but only really Darcy as an attacking option on the bench again.

Slightly surprised not to see Isgrove on the bench as Evatt's been making noises about him being fit.

I think he said Isgrove and Miller had joined in on some sessions. There's presumably quite a distance between that and being match fit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:17 pm
I'm yet to see Hickman...deliver a cross beyond the first opposition player in the box.
Honestly, I find that surprising. He's put in some absolutely superb crosses.
Can only go off what I've seen, Chief (I'm guessing you've probably seen more of him than I have). Thus far I've found him to be incredibly frustrating, however, I'm heartened by your words and look forward to being proved wrong.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:41 pm

First log in attempt. The black buffering circle of doom :roll:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:41 pm
First log in attempt. The black buffering circle of doom :roll:
It's early yet ;)