Who should we jog on in January?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Which of the following players should we try to get rid of in the winter window?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Crellin
16%
Baptiste
No votes
Santos *
No votes
Edwards *
6%
Delaney
No votes
Taft *
2%
Greenidge *
9%
Kioso
No votes
Hickman
4%
Jones
1%
Gordon *
14%
Mascoll
10%
Comley *
10%
Tutte
No votes
White
11%
Crawford *
1%
Isgrove
No votes
Delfouneso *
No votes
Miller
6%
Gnahoua
10%

Total votes: 125

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Who should we jog on in January?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:33 pm

The winter window draws nigh, and with Phoenix gone down in flames Evatt has the chance to build the squad he wants. But which of these lads would you get rid of?

I'm not asking you to guess who Evatt will try to turf out, but who you would - assuming we can find a taker, or even pay them off in a way that's acceptable to us. I'm including loans out, which may be of particular use to those who are contracted beyond summer (marked with asterisks). Essentially you're clearing deadwood to build a squad for the second half of this season. And don't give me that "depends who we can get" fence-sitting.

Bit of admin: There's only 20 slots so I've missed out the kids plus Gilks, Sarcevic and Doyle, who I figure most would want to keep. It's open till Feb 1, and you can change your mind as events unfold. (Try it some time.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who should we jog on in January?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:43 pm

White, one of Mascoll/Gordon and possibly Gnahoua, possibly, quite possibly Greenidge.

White - I think he's probably a good player but we just don't need him - we need a different type. We don't need as many wing backs and if Jones is playing LWB we only need one more. I have a hunch Gordon could come good but on evidence we've seen he'd be the one to go.

Gnahoua I like and probably would keep BUT again we've just not seen enough and I feel we need another wide forward or forward sort who runs with the ball - thats Arthur but I can't judge whether he's up to it or not.

Greenidge - looks rubbish. I do think there is a player in there - do we have time to find him?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:43 pm
Greenidge - looks rubbish. I do think there is a player in there - do we have time to find him?
As I said to a mate last night, with many a "diamond in the dirt" there's quite possibly a reason they're in the dirt.

"Look at this guy, how come nobody's picked him up?!"
<sees him play>
"Oh."

Seriously though, I guess that's the nature of the place we're in: sorting couldabeens from neverwillbes. To get as high as this level you can't exactly be crap, but it's about headroom and consistency. As you say with Greenidge and White and Gnahoua and it probably applies to a few others, there might be a player there but every manager has to decide whether he's the guy to get that player out. (Arthur Gnahoua is 28.)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:51 pm

I had a bit of a turf out.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Crellin, Greenidge, Gordon, Mascoll, Comley, Gnahoua...and realise I'm not going to win Mr Popularity, but Jones does nowt for me in the system we're trying to play.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:18 pm

I went for:

Crellin - for obvious reasons

Greenidge - He’s just not a footballer for me. You can see why coaches and managers like him because he certainly looks the part physically and he’s got top end speed - they must think to themselves “I could make a player out of him’. He wasn't the disaster I was expecting against Cheltenham, but sadly I'm not sure he has 'footballing instinct' - constantly out of position and gives the ball away in dangerous areas. There’s a reason why he ended up playing in the Norwegian third division.

Hickman - feel for him has he hasn’t done much wrong. Seems a bit lightweight but love the way he whips the ball in. Currently third in the pecking order behind Kioso and Jones for the RWB spot. A loan to the National League would be ideal. Prior to joining us, the highest level he’d played at was the National League North for Hereford a couple of seasons ago.

Gordon - I still think he can come good. He has technical ability with the ball at his feet and he’s better defensively than Mascoll in my opinion, he just seems to be lacking the confidence to take on defenders and make those runs behind. A loan move to the National League would do him a world of good.

Mascoll - after an okay performance in the win against Harrogate, I thought he would push on and make that LWB spot his own. Sadly he seems to have gone backwards. His performance last night was the final straw for me - some of his tracking back was woeful.

White - toss up between him and Comley. One of them does need to go though. We’re almost certain to sign another CM soon, whether that be Kieran Lee now or somebody else in Jan. All of a sudden it’ll start to look a bit crowded in the midfield department with New Man, Tutte, Sarcevic, Thomason, White, Comley, Darcy and Crawford. I can see the argument for keeping White instead of Comley though, to see if he improves with a view to signing him when his Blackburn contract expires (I imagine he’ll be released by Rovers)

Miller - pointless him being here as his contract is up in the summer and it look’s like he’s out till pretty much the end of the season. Obviously no team’s going to come in for him, but maybe we can agree a settlement with him and free up a squad space. Can’t blame him if he chooses to stay here and continue to pick up a wage though. I’d keep Gnahoua simply because we’re already down to bare bones up front and I feel he does add something off the bench (when he doesn’t injure himself within 30 seconds of coming on) with his ability to take on a man and inject a bit of pace.

It's going to be hard to move anyone on though (barring the loanees Crellin and White) as the finances in lower league football must be absolutely dire right now. I suppose we could loan out players and still pay all or most of their wages, but would that sit well with the suits upstairs?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Fair points, Brommers. Particularly agree that Gordon (2yr contract) and Hickman (1yr with option) could benefit from a National League loan. Greenidge is also on a 2yr so maybe he can be loaned out too; I do somewhat despair of him ever being a player, but we might have said the same about Santos.

I opted to keep White but I can see why people would see him dispensible. If it's him or Comley, I guess he has more headroom but Comley's on a 2yr too. I opted to keep Comley too because I think he could be alright in a settled, drilled team, but I agree we'd then be middle-heavy (is that a term?)

Gnahoua and Miller can both go. Nothing against either, just late trolley-dash grabs that didn't work.

And for the record, I also said we could shunt Edwards (still somehow with 18 months on his contract!) and, of course, poor old Crilly Bellin.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 pm

I think we’ve all ticked Crellin, Billy. Needs a replacement though (at least we now know Gilkes hasn’t lost it).

I’d also go:
White - not good enough for me. Particularly now Thomasons emerged.
Mascoll - I think attitude is this lads issue. Another poor showing when he came on last night.
Gordon - I agree a loan to a conference team might be the answer. I’m not convinced this lads a league footballer but he’s on a two year deal and we could have another look in the summer.
Greenidge - four touches it took him to control the ball last night. That throw in! If he was centre half we would have lost. Simple as. Tafts the odd one here - been sidelined big time and I’m not sure why...again I’m guessing it’s attitude.
Miller - there’s no chance we are getting him off the books I’m afraid! I rated him when he played but he’s clearly made of glass.
Gnouha - I’m hopeful there’s better out there, possibly on loan.
Edwards - could loan him out if anyone will have him.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Dodgy takeaway?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Dodgy takeaway?
I was thing more like a giveaway. :D

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:44 am

I think there are quite a few in the squad who clearly don’t have a long term future with us, but as we need bodies and it’s unlikely we’ll be able to recruit loads in Jan, I’ve been relatively conservative.

Crellin - it benefits no one him being here any longer.

Gordon - toss up between him and Mascoll, but one of them needs sending on loan. LWB now looks the position of greatest need if we assume Lee is coming in.

White - I’d cancel his loan as I don’t believe he’s good enough for this division. Perhaps he’s marginally better than Comley, but as BC is on a two year contract he’s going to be significantly more difficult to shift.

Edwards - unfortunately this lad’s career might be in jeopardy. As a club we’re not in a position to carry players who can never play, so for pragmatism’s sake he needs to be cut loose.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:21 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Fair points, Brommers. Particularly agree that Gordon (2yr contract) and Hickman (1yr with option) could benefit from a National League loan. Greenidge is also on a 2yr so maybe he can be loaned out too; I do somewhat despair of him ever being a player, but we might have said the same about Santos.

I opted to keep White but I can see why people would see him dispensible. If it's him or Comley, I guess he has more headroom but Comley's on a 2yr too. I opted to keep Comley too because I think he could be alright in a settled, drilled team, but I agree we'd then be middle-heavy (is that a term?)

Gnahoua and Miller can both go. Nothing against either, just late trolley-dash grabs that didn't work.

And for the record, I also said we could shunt Edwards (still somehow with 18 months on his contract!) and, of course, poor old Crilly Bellin.

Comley can win a tackle. From what I've seen its about all he can do but that is something no other midfield player we've got can do. I think if we can find a better version of him he can go but for me as things stand he should play more and be tasked with just being the midfield muscle.....he's no water carrier.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:21 am
Comley can win a tackle. From what I've seen its about all he can do but that is something no other midfield player we've got can do. I think if we can find a better version of him he can go but for me as things stand he should play more and be tasked with just being the midfield muscle.....he's no water carrier.
Four yellow cards* in 481 league minutes suggest some refs might disagree :D From memory, some of those have been from being caught out of position or flat-footed, but I could be wrong. He certainly seems more suited than the more energetic White to the stay-at-home role, just breaking up and passing simply – which, judging by his table-topping stats last season, is what he was doing for Colchester. Nothing wrong with that per se but I suspect Evatt wants someone more like Tutte or Thomason who can punch passes 15 yards forward rather than safely recycling sideways to his outside centre-backs. Otherwise we're in danger of winning the ball back but allowing the oppo to settle into shape. I think Evatt wants quicker transitions from defence to attack – and I think to some extent we all do.

As I say, though, I do think Comley could be tweaked into a usable player – but if Lee signs and Tutte recovers, Comley will be like fourth-choice DM – and unlike White I can't see him playing any other role.

*For the record, Sarce (1515 league minutes) and Delaney (1404) are also on four yellows, which means a one-match ban if they're booked this weekend (the 19th game and thus the cut-off)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

According to WhoScored, he doesn't make many tackles per game at all...a lot fewer than Sarce, Tutte and (Crawford!) and a bit fewer than White too...Maybe WhoScored is a bit broke.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

According to WhoScored, he doesn't make many tackles per game at all...a lot fewer than Sarce, Tutte and (Crawford!) and a bit fewer than White too...Maybe WhoScored is a bit broke.
Maybe I'm wrong and its just perception. Its not like we've seen a whole lot of him.

I guess I think he's played 50 odd games for Colchester at this level so must at least be able to hold his own. To me he's looked ok off the ball but decidedly unsure on it. I don't think he's very good tbh. But for me we need some stronger midfield types and he's the only one vaguely in that mould we've got.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 pm

Gordon’s gone back to Dagenham on a months loan. Thinking about it, if he has moved up here alone and had feck all to do outside of football since he came, it could well help him to be home for a month. It’s alright us sitting here saying no good, sell him, but some of these lads have probably moved up here and are finding it pretty shit if you can’t socialize.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:38 pm

That's one out the door (sort of).

Only a month-long loan but I imagine there'll be scope to increase it if it works out for both parties.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:38 pm
That's one out the door (sort of).

Only a month-long loan but I imagine there'll be scope to increase it if it works out for both parties.
True.
See you in Jan, Liam!

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:48 am

From Evatt's pre-Tranmere press conference this morning:

"I think there will be quite a bit going on in January with ins and outs"

Evatt confirms gnahoua is out for 6-8 weeks which leaves us with 2 fit senior strikers. The urgent need for extra bodies up front becomes even more urgent.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.40.41.png
Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 10.40.41.png (27.88 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:23 pm

The great news about Gnahoua, is it won't have cost us much to get him home. Win/win.