Season 20-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Season 20-21

Post by Dujon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:56 pm

After reading that lot, ossifer, my eyeballs and brain are spinning in a sort synchronised dance of confusion.

Then again it is coming up to 04:00 where I live.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 am

Forest Green at home first up, do we still owe them?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:43 am

As usual, feck all chance of the away day I fancied the most (Harrogate). Cheers!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 am
Forest Green at home first up, do we still owe them?
Do you mean literally?

The Christian Doige Derby.

Gutted Harrogte away is so early, that'll be behind closed doors surely.

And my Tuesday nights plan isn't going to get much luck. We seem to be at home for all but a couple and one of the away ones is Oldham which will be tough to get a ticket for.

Not happy. Evatt out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:53 am

Not fantastic for us Southerners, either. Crawley and Southend the only realistic away days, and Southend in Feb might be still pushing it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Experimental 361 has done his usual difficulty-planners, based (before the season) on betting odds.

https://experimental361.com/2020/08/21/ ... s-2020-21/
Experimental361.png
Experimental361.png (242.39 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
Notes: we're the favourites, which is nice. But the month in the depth of winter looks interesting:

Sat Jan 9 - away to 2nd-favourites Exeter*
Sat Jan 16 - home to 7th-favourites Cheltenham
Sat Jan 23 - away to 3rd-favourites Tranmere**
Tue Jan 26 - away to 6th-favourites Mansfield
Sat Jan 30 - home to 16th-favourites Orient
Sat Feb 6 - away to 4th-favourites Salford

*Unless we're in the FA Cup Third Round
**Unless we're in the FA Cup Fourth Round

...and all that in a transfer-window month...

Ilesy also noticed that we host Mansfield (6th-favourites) and Salford (4th) within 10 days either side of the FA Cup First Round, and I'd also note that the midweek before Mansfield we host Bradford (5th) before a long weekend trip to Orient (16th). Other than those two runs, there's no back-to-back "red" fixtures against top-six-backed teams. Exeter, Tranmere and Salford all have (on paper) a tougher Mar/Apr than us, while Cheltenham's December includes four successive games against "top five" sides...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:55 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:53 am
Not fantastic for us Southerners, either. Crawley and Southend the only realistic away days, and Southend in Feb might be still pushing it.
I'm hoping to go to Newport on Easter Monday. Only 90 mins on the train from Paddington.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:34 pm

Newport used to be my football manager team. I brought the Champions League to Rodney Parade so I should probably go.

And The_Gun I'm an honorary southerner these days!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:15 pm

It's a hostage to fortune to predict which matches will allow away fans - surely not before November, maybe longer at small or oversubscribed grounds.

I wanted to go to Colchester as I've never been, but it's mid-Sep so no chance.

Harrogate was always a slim chance, but note that due to ripping up their plastic pitch (which gave them a revenue source, the community a resource and would be acceptable in the Champions League) they're ground-sharing at Donny "for what's looking like the first month or so," according to their manager, so we might be back at the Keepmoat. Or "we" might not at all.

Cambridge in late October - I haven't been to the Abbey Stadium (neither near an abbey nor particularly a stadium) since Tony Cunningham was up front for us. Depends on the law, I suppose.

Orient on Hallowe'en, perhaps? Or Stevenage in late November? Two more new grounds for me. Same for Cheltenham a week before Christmas - bit of a trek from down here but within scope, especially if I'm Jonesing for live football.

Mansfield's a doable evening dash up the M1, Pru - not been there since we lost 4-0 with a young Stubbsy in midfield and a suspended Tony Philliskirk on the bench in an ostentatious herringbone overcoat. Same season as Cunningham, I think – must be 90ish?

Southend in February for some cold chips... missed the "Beevers" game so I ain't been there since we lost 5-2...

FGR in March for a veggie burger... and Newport on Easter Monday... then maybe Grimsby or Morecambe depending on tickets.. and finally my nearest game now I think, Crawley... hopefully debating how many of this squad can cope with third-tier football...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Aye, got my eye on Mansfield.

Scunthorpe (asking a bit for crowds to be back), Cheltenham (it's only two hours on a train with a stand up bar, like America), Mansfield, Newport and Oldham and Carlisle if I can get a ticket.

Plus any others moved from Saturdays

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:17 pm

Morecambe will be ST only I reckon, as I imagine a few will be actually.

Scunthorpe in November might be a possible for my first away.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:39 am

This League 2 stuff is going to be hard. I'm embarrassed to confess I had never heard of Forest Green Rovers or their hometown of Nailsworth. After a quick check I find they are the world's first Vegan team and have been declared carbon neutral by the UN. All this strikes me as strangely different from the English football scene I knew sixty years ago.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm

As expected,

All EFL games will be available to stream until crowds of 50% are allowed to return.

This includes 3pm Saturday fixtures.

Talk of £10 per game and free to season ticket holders.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:26 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm
As expected,

All EFL games will be available to stream until crowds of 50% are allowed to return.

This includes 3pm Saturday fixtures.

Talk of £10 per game and free to season ticket holders.
Ha, just posted on the iFollow thread. Details: Mail reporting "EFL agree deal with Sky Sports allowing clubs in all three divisions to stream every match next season until stadiums at least 50 per cent full. Clubs to keep the revenue with Sky waiving compensation rights for loss of exclusivity."

"Season-ticket holders will get access to their side's home matches free of charge and more casual fans will be able to watch every game — including Saturday 3pm kick-offs for the first time — for a fee of around £10."

"The money raised by the streaming fees will be kept by whichever club sells the service in the Championship. A more complex revenue-sharing formula will be applied in League One and League Two due to the big disparity in clubs' respective fanbases."

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:21 pm

RETURN OF THE FANS!

Cambridge United's games against Fulham U21s in the EFL Trophy on 8th September and Carlisle in their opening league game of the season on 12th September have been selected as test events.

The Fulham game will have a maximum of 1,000 in attendance and the Carlisle game 2,500. Promising signs.

Interesting to note that Abbey Stadium has a capacity of 8,127 according to Wikipedia, so 2,500 out of 8,127 would be 30%.

30% of The Reebok's capacity would be 8,400.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:16 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:21 pm
RETURN OF THE FANS!

Cambridge United's games against Fulham U21s in the EFL Trophy on 8th September and Carlisle in their opening league game of the season on 12th September have been selected as test events.

The Fulham game will have a maximum of 1,000 in attendance and the Carlisle game 2,500. Promising signs.

Interesting to note that Abbey Stadium has a capacity of 8,127 according to Wikipedia, so 2,500 out of 8,127 would be 30%.

30% of The Reebok's capacity would be 8,400.
I think I read that the 30% isn't necessarily fixed for everyone and that our ground is ideally designed for spacing fans out. So we might be allowed more, not just because of the big capacity.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Way infections are rising here hard to see our ground opening at all next month.....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:06 pm
Way infections are rising here hard to see our ground opening at all next month.....
Bizarre to think that but for the council, we'd have been out of lockdown last week. If Bolton has gone from the 2nd lowest borough in Greater Manchester to the highest in the country for infection rates inside a week, I suspect there'll be similar spikes elsewhere across the country. Cambridge apart, I'm not sure anyone's going to professional football for a while yet.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 am

I've had my order confirmation and my DD acknowledgement but heard nowt since. Anyone else heard anything? I'd have thought that they'd have been looking to start taking payments as soon as possible.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Our fearless leader / bin-bag full of custard [delete to taste] addresses the nation at 8pm tonight.

Apart from inevitably saying "alas" at least once, and telling us how deeply sorry he is, I suspect we may hear him bring the curtain down again.

Good luck everybody, and stay safe.