The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:54 pm
Good job we took control of our borders back really. Imagine that must be pretty handy rn to shut them down and keep this South African edition out.
Tsk. We haven't built the wall yet. And everyone knows you need a wall.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:54 pm
Good job we took control of our borders back really. Imagine that must be pretty handy rn to shut them down and keep this South African edition out.
It’s already here....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Well all I can say is I'm having the vaccine when it's my turn. After seeing and reading what Covid is capable of if someone says hey Google near me and I reply here's what I found on the web, so be it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:51 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm
Well all I can say is I'm having the vaccine when it's my turn. After seeing and reading what Covid is capable of if someone says hey Google near me and I reply here's what I found on the web, so be it.
To be fair, Hobes, you posting shit you found on the web has never been one of your shortcomings!

Keep safe, mate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:45 pm
Damn straight.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 pm

I'm reckoning that there's going to be a job vacancy for Head of US Capitol Police shortly if people wanted to brush off their CV's...Who could've possibly seen that coming? I mean it'd have taken deep underground intel to work out there might have been a bit of a ruck yesterday. You couldn't have put Trump (2) and open Facebook/Twitter posts (2) together and got 4. Nosiree...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Shocking what happened in the US yesterday, democracy as we envisage it is disappearing. Trump lost, he should accept that if he was worried about election fraud he had enough time to start an enquiry into the voting mechanism well before the election, sore loser.
Mind you the UK in recent times has had a good dose of so called democratic people who cannot accept poll results, remainers I'm looking at you and the Scottish nutty party.
If these things carry on and people don't respect or accept democratic votes we may as well turn into China or a whole host of other countries.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:45 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:06 pm
Shocking what happened in the US yesterday, democracy as we envisage it is disappearing. Trump lost, he should accept that if he was worried about election fraud he had enough time to start an enquiry into the voting mechanism well before the election, sore loser.
Mind you the UK in recent times has had a good dose of so called democratic people who cannot accept poll results, remainers I'm looking at you and the Scottish nutty party.
If these things carry on and people don't respect or accept democratic votes we may as well turn into China or a whole host of other countries.
Do you remember when Farage said if the vote was close they'd try for another go? I agree with what you're saying to a fair extent. A part of me says the Democrats are reaping some of what they sowed with impeachment proceedings. Whilst we are 'led' by people who can lie with impunity on both sides of a debate, we have a problem.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 am

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 am
Yeah but....

https://twitter.com/domegege95/status/1 ... 25696?s=21
I'm not sure anyone knows where to begin fixing this. It's only going to get worse. When our biggest commodity is who can get most people to believe the largest whoppers, there's always going to be problems as those whoppers aren't in the middle, they're at the margins (typically).

Governments (whatever colour) have lost control of the narrative in many places.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 am
Yeah but....

https://twitter.com/domegege95/status/1 ... 25696?s=21
I'm not sure anyone knows where to begin fixing this. It's only going to get worse. When our biggest commodity is who can get most people to believe the largest whoppers, there's always going to be problems as those whoppers aren't in the middle, they're at the margins (typically).

Governments (whatever colour) have lost control of the narrative in many places.
Ah yes. All of that.

But it was more just a hilarious tweet where someone very earnestly pondered that the guy wearing the 'camp Auschwitz' t-shirt during the riot, might not be a Nazi but might instead be a survivor of the camp...I don't think it was meant with malice in this instance or to spread nonsense it was just hilarious that someone could genuinely think that (I assume someone quite young). And the replies along the lines of 'so you think he got the T-shirt from the merch stand on the way out of the camp?' just cracked me up!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:48 pm

It seems representative of the world we now live in, this virus mess seems to have brought all sorts out of the woodwork. I mean come on, new world order, the great reset, Gates secretly micro chipping everyone via vaccines, Dr's and NHS employees all lying, a master shadey group controlling the world, it's a mess. God help the West if something real like a global war ever breaks out.
People should be careful and question but where is the line between questioning and stupidity?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:48 pm
It seems representative of the world we now live in, this virus mess seems to have brought all sorts out of the woodwork. I mean come on, new world order, the great reset, Gates secretly micro chipping everyone via vaccines, Dr's and NHS employees all lying, a master shadey group controlling the world, it's a mess. God help the West if something real like a global war ever breaks out.
People should be careful and question but where is the line between questioning and stupidity?
I think they were out of the woodwork way before the virus mate (although that's not helped). When you have political leaders pandering to them for votes, you know it's all going a bit Pete Tong.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:15 pm

People do believe a lot of this shit as well. Had a plasterer round to do some work recently. Thoroughly nice chap but convinced bill gates wants to microchip him.
My girlfriend rather bluntly pointed out that Bill probably has greater concerns than the movements of a plasterer from Wakefield, and he backed down.
(Not without adding that "there's more to the old kung flu than meets the eye").

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:36 pm

It's scary. My missus had an ankle op last week, on the NHS but (fortuitously) at a local private hospital. Anyway, the nurse who took her down to the pre op room asked her about whether shed be happy to have a vaccine whe offered. He then started a 10 minute rant about the vaccine containing chemicals that subdue us all and will make us more compliant to what the world leaders want; how the vaccine was developed so quickly was due to orphaned children being exposed to.covid and then locked in dark cellars for weeks to use their blood in the manufacturing process, and many more theories that he seemed to genuinely and passionately believe in. And hes a bloody nurse in a hospital!!!?!?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 am

Yup, crazy shit. Couple of instances here, one relation by marriage believes Trump has been sent to save the world and the civil war in the US is just about ready to go. And another where we went to a pub last year to be told the only table they had left was next to Dave who was a conspiracy theorist, announced in the same tone as if they were parking us next to Albert Einstein.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Sadly I fear social media is a conduit for a return to the 1920s and 30s because once again it amplifies easy answers to the worlds problems. We’ve had since 2000 two relatively difficult decades, rise of terrorism, global recession caused by the very financial institutions the boomers placed all their trust in, the fall out - austerity, poverty rising inequality and then finally COVID. All against that backdrop social media has risen quickly and integrated itself into life. At first seemingly harmless, even useful. But now it is being used to amplify messaging that is often devoid of fact and usually dangerous.

Whatever anyone thinks of Brexit the fact that vote was seemingly won by stirring up forgotten and lapsed voters on social media shows it’s a very dangerous tool potentially in the wrong hands.

But essentially people who don’t like stuff like a lockdown can find an easy answer on social media...it’s all a hoax, it’s just a bad flu, it’s a conspiracy etc etc...and convince themselves and others in their network that it’s all true,..I mean if all you see is nutters telling you it’s all lies and misusing statistics and facts to support that nonsense...you start to believe it.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 pm

But essentially people who don’t like stuff like a lockdown can find an easy answer on social media...it’s all a hoax, it’s just a bad flu, it’s a conspiracy etc etc...and convince themselves and others in their network that it’s all true,..I mean if all you see is nutters telling you it’s all lies and misusing statistics and facts to support that nonsense...you start to believe it.
Nope, only a certain type of person believes that, the one's who need a vaccine developing for their stupidity.

Social media is frightening when you think sooner or later our enemies will get control of it, Damian Thorn and his type don't give a flying fcuk while the money goes in the bank sooner or later they will be falling off balconies.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nope, only a certain type of person believes that, the one's who need a vaccine developing for their stupidity.

Social media is frightening when you think sooner or later our enemies will get control of it, Damian Thorn and his type don't give a flying fcuk while the money goes in the bank sooner or later they will be falling off balconies.
Maybe only a certain type of person but there seem to be lots of them! Social media has definitely been a part of the post truth era...a big part.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Maybe only a certain type of person but there seem to be lots of them! Social media has definitely been a part of the post truth era...a big part.
Guess it is not dissimilar to all the Muppets who signed up to the cults during the sixties and seventies cannot blame social media for that, easily manipulated youths mainly and some pretty evil scumbags. Mind you it can be traced way back through human history, we still haven't learned.