Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:02 pm
Ah yeah. I get that. You can sign who you want but you're limited on how many (and when) you can register.

Note as an aside that the squad limit goes down from 22 to 20 for next season in L1 & L2.
Blimey, 20 really isn’t very many. We’re going to have to get our academy/B team/whatever system running properly pretty sharpish.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:34 pm
We’ve got some contracts with options to extend haven’t we? 20 players assumes that your squad contains under 21s as cover at least.
Jones, Mascoll (!) and Hickman the only ones mentioned.

Contract list is here viewtopic.php?p=1096107#p1096107

One or two changes since - Gordon loaned out, Thomason back in, some players will have had birthdays - but the bulk of it is still right.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Not quite a scarf aloft picture but I think this tweet from South Wales’ Marc Iles pretty much confirms the arrival of Declan John.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:41 am

He’s really not played a lot of football in the last couple of years - including a loan to Sunderland last Jan with no games (albeit early end to season). Still, pedigree better than the last two we’ve signed for this position. And it is ‘only’ league two. Fingers crossed.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:51 am

I can't recall ever having seen him play, but it would be surprising if he weren't significantly better than any of the options we currently have at LB/LWB. A step in the right direction for me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:40 am

Just a quick note on squad size - Ilesy this morning is saying Tom White doesn't count as he's loaned from a club with a Category One Academy. I'm not 100% sure on that - I know that's the reason he was a free pass in the EFL Trophy "don't change your team too much" rules, but I haven't yet seen it as an exemption from squad size numbers. (Not saying he's wrong, just haven't checked it.)

Anyway if Ilesy's right then we have 20 with White (without John), but equally sending him back wouldn't make another space in the squad size. (For the record, Swansea's academy downgraded to Cat Two in summer.)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:35 am

I was well confused after reading that Iles piece. I’m not sure it told us much in all honesty - suggested we had to get rid before we could sign new but the players he talked about didn’t seem to count towards the quota? I think the hint was don’t be surprised to see Taft or Comley leave!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:17 am

Weird situation with Taft and Comley. They're among the better-established League Two players in the squad, and not uncoincidentally still have 18 months left (along with Sarce, Darcy, Delf, Crawford, Santos, Greenidge, Gordon, Politic and Liam Bloody Edwards).

The fact they're established might make them more attractive (to others) than, I dunno, Mascoll or Hickman. The fact they have longer left, though, makes them financially harder for us to let go.

The senior players out of contract in summer - and therefore easier to negotiate severance with, pretty much as I suspect Swansea probably have with Declan John - are:

Alex Baptiste
Harry Brockbank
Ryan Delaney
Jamie Mascoll
Gethin Jones
Jak Hickman
Andrew Tutte
Lloyd Isgrove
Shaun Miller
Mo Faal (already loaned to Barnet)
Arthur Gnahoua

But it's the usual problem: who wants your rejects?

(For the record, Matthew Alexander, Adam Senior, Sonny Graham, Callum King-Harmes and George Thomason are also out of contract in summer but are all under 21 so don't count toward quota)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:02 pm

TRANSFER NEWS: Taft loaned to Scunthorpe
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... pe-united/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Intrigued as to how he does - don’t think he’s been given a fair chance here.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:46 pm

I'm intrigued to know what he's been doing in training to turn Evatt against him. Like others have said, I didn't see much on the pitch to suggest he was an inferior option to either Greenidge or Delaney, but Evatt must have his reasons.

Anyway, I hope he does well at Scunny, as he's ultimately a saleable asset now given the time remaining on his contract.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:18 pm

The one league game he played I don’t think he did very well. But then neither did Santos or Baptiste.

I think he’s gone to play football - if it works out for him he might be back in the side next season so fingers crossed, albeit still want them below us!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:23 pm

There are rumours knocking about (possibly bs) that he just wasn't very good in training. Ultimately IE knows way more about him than any of us do, so I suppose we have to accept he's probably made the correct decision.

Nice to have some transfer activity starting up again to keep us interested during these dark times anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:18 pm
The one league game he played I don’t think he did very well. But then neither did Santos or Baptiste.
The one league game he played was at home to Newport, when we played a back four and allowed our visitors a rather overcharitable 24 attempts on goal. Yet (FWIW) Ilesy gave him a 5/10 and said "Escapes most blame from the back four as he did make some important blocks". Centre-back partner Santos got 3.5/10 and Ilesy said "Struggling badly out there and might need to be taken out of the spotlight. Gave away possession, looked slow to react, and never looked dominant against Taylor."

However, Santos stayed in as we reverted to a back three that would seem much more suited to Taft, with Evatt recalling Baptiste and Delaney and we won at Harrogate. Taft hasn't played a league minute since.

Perhaps interestingly in hindsight, later that week Evatt noted “A lot was said after the game and more was on Monday morning. And for the first time I have seen some anger, some reactions where they are falling out with each other, kicking each other in training like they are playing angry and want to win." It was expressed as a positive but I wonder whether Taft crossed some line, then or since.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Strange one regarding Taft. Something must have gone on behind the scenes - not a world beater but he didn't look terrible in the little we've seen of him. I'd much rather have him in and around the first team than 'foul throw' Greenidge.

In other news, a double announcement this evening perhaps?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Jesus, say it ain't so! I'm only 35, but I don't think my heart can take another Crellin appearance in a Bolton shirt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:59 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm
Jesus, say it ain't so! I'm only 35, but I don't think my heart can take another Crellin appearance in a Bolton shirt.
Fleetwood are between managers, so they may not be desperately dragging him back (he's about fourth choice anyway). We haven't yet got a replacement, so we'd be an old man's twinge away from relying on an 18-year-old who hasn't played a first-team minute since the pre-season humiliation against Wigan.

Like I say, about 13 months ago Hill got the hump and as many players as possible off the pay-roll, discarding babies among the bathwater – and then the taps were turned off. Much as it'd be liberating to see six or seven turfed out now, it'd also leave us short of players until "bodies are in the building". Month's young yet.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:42 pm

Given the amount of games being called off at the moment I would be leaving my signings till the end of the month if it were my money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:42 pm
Given the amount of games being called off at the moment I would be leaving my signings till the end of the month if it were my money.
There is also this. Villa and Wednesday the latest to declare major outbreaks. Can't carry on like this and bang on about "the integrity of the competition".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 pm

TRANSFER NEWS: Declan John loan confirmed

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/januar ... -welshman/