Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 pm
TRANSFER NEWS: Declan John loan confirmed

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/januar ... -welshman/

Classic PSG. I like him already.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:18 pm
The one league game he played I don’t think he did very well. But then neither did Santos or Baptiste.

I think he’s gone to play football - if it works out for him he might be back in the side next season so fingers crossed, albeit still want them below us!
...or not for Evatt.
Hard to be too critical of either him or Evatt from what little we've seen of the lad, but the writing's definitely on the wall if he still didn't get a sniff after some of the defensive aberrations we've seen from those in the team. Looks like the best thing all round. Curious though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:48 am

Marc Iles has been talking to The South Wales Marc Iles and The Sunderland Marc Iles about Declan John. He sounds very much a wingback, but hopefully he can also play in a back four if we do that.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... nsea-city/

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:41 am

You would hope that he'd have a high enough level of ability to successfully play in either role at League 2 level, but the fact he's had so long without a first team game is a minor concern. It would be very surprising if he weren't a significant upgrade on Gordon, Mascoll, Jones and Brockbank on the left, though.

It will be interesting to see whether the addition of John might tempt Evatt to stick with 3 at the back for the Exeter game to see whether having more quality on the left salvages that experiment.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:41 am
It will be interesting to see whether the addition of John might tempt Evatt to stick with 3 at the back for the Exeter game to see whether having more quality on the left salvages that experiment.
I hope he does what he thinks is right rather than what he thinks he's expected to do or he thinks is clever. Last time he changed the shape he burbled about it excitedly in the press - something like "When you see what I've done you'll understand" - and then promptly changed it back two defeats later. He's also not exactly pinned his cards to his chest this time either.

I like that he tries to find solutions - either unexpected personnel (a triumph when it works, square pegs when not) or changing formation. As I've said I suspect that even within the "back three" formation we've changed subtly but noticeably from two "8s" behind a "10" (Crawford) to having a default defensive midfielder (preferably Tutte, for a while Tomo) behind two 8s, which might be part of the reason Crawford faded from significance but the shift undoubtedly helped the team for a while.

The main reasons a wingback couldn't play full-back would be positional idiocy (which means they're not a good wingback anyway) or defensive ineptitude (which means they're not a good wingback anyway). As Pru notes, a decent wingback needs to be a lot of things at once. Maybe Declan is like Antonee Robinson, but even as a fullback you might prefer a Jedi to a staid Andy Taylor – not that he was a bad player, but he added nowt in their half.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Can Jones play LB effectively ? Can Kioso play RB effectively? Now that we finally have 2 flyers at LWB and RWB, in response, we will ditch the system we have been playing that needed them? Don't understand why Evatt would do that at this time. Agree however that we need an alternative back up system.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:44 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:00 pm
Can Jones play LB effectively ? Can Kioso play RB effectively? Now that we finally have 2 flyers at LWB and RWB, in response, we will ditch the system we have been playing that needed them? Don't understand why Evatt would do that at this time. Agree however that we need an alternative back up system.
Two separate questions... here's my opinions:

I think Jones can probably play LB better than LWB (because it's not as important what he does in the attacking half) but neither as good as he can play RB or RWB. In order, I'd say his best positions are RB > RWB > LB > LWB. Which is not to denigrate him for trying and "doing a job".

Kioso, I think, might be slightly better as RWB than RB because it gives him a bit more leeway to get forward. (He's also higher up the pitch to function as a good outball, using his aerial ability.) However, he's an impressive lad and fit as a flea – he's only been subbed once, on 86 minutes - so let's hope he adapts if that's the system.

A good manager will have options. It would be nice if we had the personnel to play one system, let alone two... :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:54 pm

New signing incoming...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:55 pm

He looks happy enough!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:00 pm

It's Kieran Lee. 18-month deal.
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/januar ... rers-move/
KIERAN LEE has penned an 18-month deal to become Ian Evatt’s latest acquisition during the January transfer window.

The experienced midfielder has been on trial with Wanderers for the past several weeks, but now joins the squad officially and could feature in Tuesday night’s Sky Bet League Two fixture at Exeter City.

The 32 year-old began his career with Manchester United having come through their youth system. He scored on his debut for the Red Devils when he came off the bench to net the winner in a League Cup tie against Crewe Alexandra during the 2006/07 season. Lee was loaned out to QPR in 2008 and made eight appearances for them before signing a two-year contract at Oldham Athletic.

Making over 100 appearances for the Boundary Park side, he turned down the offer of a new deal to join Sheffield Wednesday in 2012. At Hillsborough, Lee featured in over 200 games for The Owls in all competitions and netted 22 goals.

Speaking about his move to the University of Bolton Stadium, Lee said: “I’ve been training with the club for a few weeks and I’m delighted to have now signed. You've only got to look around the place to see that the potential to go back up is massive. This is a club that wants to be at a higher level. I'm coming here to help the team get promotion and go as high as we can.”

Wanderers manager Ian Evatt added: “I am delighted to sign Kieran who I feel is a real coup for the club and a statement signing. He is a very classy and experienced footballer, and is just the right character we want at Bolton Wanderers Football Club. I’d like to thank the Board for their support in getting this deal completed.”

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:12 pm

His fitness record is definitely a concern, but if he can stay fit he's potentially a very good signing.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Two more signings and another that can play LB. This whole signing players and announcing them as LB's or RB's is a bit ridiculous this season. Hopefully these two players will come good. Some tidy finishes from Lee from what i've seen on the highlights.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Gawd bless HMS YouKnowWhat and all who sail on her!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Very good signing Kieran Lee, just the type of energetic box to box midfield player we have needed for years - possibly Evatt's best signing to date IMO if he stays fit.

Sheff Weds fans are to a man very complementary about him.

All we need now is a decent GK and a big powerful centre forward to help Doyle.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:46 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:07 pm
Very good signing Kieran Lee, just the type of energetic box to box midfield player we have needed for years - possibly Evatt's best signing to date IMO if he stays fit.

Sheff Weds fans are to a man very complementary about him.

All we need now is a decent GK and a big powerful centre forward to help Doyle.
Not a bad word to say about him

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... /#comments

"A consistent 7/10 performer or higher. Never dropped his standards and was a pleasure to watch at times."

"Transformed our midfield when he was in it from an attacking perspective."

"Our best player since the premier league in my opinion and top lad too."

"...always looking to go forward and not backwards, scored some great goals along the way too"

"He made it look simple: take a touch, play a pass, move. Make sure you look around you before receiving your next pass. Do it all with your head up. My favourite Wednesday player since the glory days."

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:21 pm

I mean if he’s 100% fit he could well be the leagues best player by some distance. Just hope he’s in better nick than Jan Kirchoff was! He’s been training for long enough with us so both sides have done their homework.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:21 pm
I mean if he’s 100% fit he could well be the leagues best player by some distance. Just hope he’s in better nick than Jan Kirchoff was! He’s been training for long enough with us so both sides have done their homework.

His name ran through my mind as well. Although an eighteen-month contract seems to indicate the medical staff (do we have any?) are happy with him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pm

The medical staff kept Mavies barely alive and of course we had Sean Davis on the books for a good while...Hope it works out for the fella.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 pm

The Wednesday fans couldn’t really be more effusive about Lee, so as long as his body holds up it sounds like we’ve signed another good one.

COYFWM