Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:52 pm
Declan John injury confirmed by Ilesy - "could be out for a month"

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... eter-city/
It’s bad news but Evatt himself acknowledges this is the risk of signing players in January who haven’t been playing. Especially ones training with U23s.

Not that you often have a lot of choice. But when people bemoan our luck over the last decade much of it is self made. Relying on players who get injured. Not being adaptable. Not being able to sign players in peak form and fitness. If for example Lee breaks down it would hardly be surprising. It’s a risk. But the balance so far is we have far too many risks.
I do see Lee as another Kirchoff waiting to happen. He's 32, had more than one hip surgery and hasn't played for ages. Sounds like a talent and a top bloke, but not getting my hopes up.
I think we'll just be hovering around mid table anyway, and also that the season will be curtailed again.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Aye, if it’s going to get curtailed we need a couple of wins sharpish to keep our heads above water.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 pm
Aye, if it’s going to get curtailed we need a couple of wins sharpish to keep our heads above water.
Hmm, not too worried about that (mathematically).
table 2.jpg
table 2.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
We'd have to lose a few on the bounce while seven of the eight teams below us in the PPG tables improved considerably. Not impossible, but somewhat improbable.

For the record, to drop to 0.9ppg we'd have to lose the next eight successive games; for context, our worst pointless run this season is three games, our worst last season was five, in the Parky relegation season it was six (while we were literally going bust and cancelling games). To be fair, we did lose eight straight games under Parky in 2017/18, but that was against Championship teams. I don't think it's enormously hubristic to doubt we will do the same again, and that that will coincide perfectly with the curtailment of the season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm

It’s Bolton, anything’s possible. Thank you for trying to ease my worries!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:18 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:06 pm
Kioso in my opinion has been our most effective player so far this season. Tough loss for us. No like for like replacement in the squad but fortunately with Broky, Jones and Hickman we have coverage. John's injury another kick in the teeth. We are paying for someone's sin in the past apparently.
See I disagree. The summer was the time to make signings count. We have two left sided defenders on the books, signed in the summer. Whether they are or aren't good enough irrespective of whose fault it is, clubs who end up scrabbling in January are likely to suffer these misfortunes. Reality is that as a club you need to build a strong side in the summer and make the right decisions. And then have an effective and capable manager who works every second of every day to make a success of it. If you fall short, for whatever reason then you start bemoaning luck and whatever. I notice that good sides who are successful are often called lucky. I rather suspect luck has very little to do with it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm
It’s Bolton, anything’s possible. Thank you for trying to ease my worries!
You're welcome - first job was easing my own :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Having been mentioned on the rumour mill last week, young MUFC goalkeeper Nathan Bishop has just extended his contract and will "shortly head out on loan to further enhance his experience," per the rags' official site.

Interesting question he's asked, given the Crellin/Gilks comparison:
Is leading and being more vocal something you want to develop?
“Yes. I’m loud enough to hopefully be behind players and encourage them. I want to be really positive and go into a team where I can lift individuals and help people and help the team I’m in, and really see what we can push on and achieve.”

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:17 pm

You could see the logic of it from United’s perspective. We’re local, and I can’t imagine there will be too many other league clubs where the lad is likely to be first choice pretty much immediately.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Declan John might only be out for 2 weeks from Evatt's post match. Grade 1 tear...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 am

Imagine if he was really one of the c19 isolaters and actually turned up in the team on Saturday...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:16 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 am
Imagine if he was really one of the c19 isolaters and actually turned up in the team on Saturday...
On that note, Iles said the isolation period was over for the two sufferers.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 am

So we need Fleetwoods permission to terminate old safe hands Crellins loan do we? That sounds unusual?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 am
So we need Fleetwoods permission to terminate old safe hands Crellins loan do we? That sounds unusual?
Well if we've said we'll take him on loan for a season and that's what we contracted to do, I'm not sure it's that unusual to be held to it?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:44 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 am
Well if we've said we'll take him on loan for a season and that's what we contracted to do, I'm not sure it's that unusual to be held to it?
It's an odd one. If nowt else, can we borrow one of their other keepers instead? Apparently one of them was on our summer watchlist and I know another is a Boltonian who was highly rate when he went to his previous club Huddersfield.

Weirdest thing is - I don''t think Crellin counts towards the squad limit (U21) and did we ever confirm that we can't pay loan players any wages, so he wouldn't affect that anyway?

oh and in an unrelated thing that ain't worth a thread, there's a decent sale on at the club shop - every penny counts...
https://www.bwfcdirect.co.uk/sale/sale/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm

I always thought (championship manager told me) that season long loans could be terminated in the window? It’s weird if we aren’t paying wages. I wonder if it’s an excuse to keep us all guessing...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... er-window/
Joe Hilton was loaned from Blackburn Rovers this week, with Joel Coleman, Szymon Czajor, Johnathon Borwick and Alex Cairns – who was also on Bolton’s radar last summer – also in the queue for a first team spot. Wanderers may now have to wait to see whether Crellin could be loaned out elsewhere by Fleetwood before being able to cut their own loan deal short.
Fleetwood are all over the place with goalkeepers. On the eve of the league campaign they hired ex-Blackburn Swiss-Canadian Jayson Leutwiler on a short-term contract and he was their first choice from the fifth game until Boxing Day, but has now left the club (as has the manager who hired him) and is unemployed (as is the manager who hired him). Joel Coleman, the 25-year-old Boltonian I mentioned in summer – he was on a free from Huddersfield – before they took him, has only played in two cup games but and has had a hamstring problem but is close to full fitness. Even so, the borrowed Blackburn's 21-y-o Joe Hilton on a month's loan this Tuesday and he went straight into the team for the EFL Trophy game – because Alex Cairns, who was initially their first choice before being dropped for Leutwiler, has been in Covid isolation.

Szymon Czajor is a 19-year-old Pole who's never played a first-class game in this country. Johnathon Borwick seems to be U18s. Billy Crellin is 21 in summer. It's slightly odd if they think Billy is behind those two. With Leutwiler gone, they've got Cairns (Covid) and Coleman (hamstrung) plus loanee Hilton.

One other thing. If Cairns was "on our radar" this summer along with Crellin, is our goalkeeper shortlist simply Fleetwood Goalkeepers Other Than Gilks?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:25 pm

I'm not ITK or owt, but an apparent reliable poster on WW has said today that 2 deals are done for another midfielder & a defender.

Perhaps they will sign in the next 24 hours ?, but the guy has said that the deals are done. We will obviously have to wait & see but it sounds encouraging.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Saw that as well, ties in with this on Twitter

I wouldn't normally get excited about anonymous accounts posting transfer rumours but there's not much else to do right now...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:25 pm
I'm not ITK or owt, but an apparent reliable poster on WW has said today that 2 deals are done for another midfielder & a defender.

Perhaps they will sign in the next 24 hours ?, but the guy has said that the deals are done. We will obviously have to wait & see but it sounds encouraging.
Glad we're signing another defender. We're so short there..... :roll:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:22 pm

Quotes via Jack Dearden's Twitter from Evatt's pre-Cheltenham presser. I'm sure they won't change anybody's mind if it's already set.
Because of how the summer went we are having to do more than I would have liked in January For many reasons we were unprepared. The nature of the recruitment wasn’t great it wasn’t thought and planned well enough because we had no players.

Would we have signed the same players at the start of pre season as we would at the end? The answer's no, but we had to because we didn’t have any players in the building – we couldn’t take that risk of waiting that long."

We're trying our best now to put a real structure in place, build a data place [DSB: database?] of talent we haven’t got, and start looking towards the next window and the window after that."

For me there should be three key players for every position: a starter, a back-up and a development player – that’s what we need to start implementing at Bolton Wanderers.