Best Ever 1-11

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Best Ever 1-11

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Bit of fluff to fill the day if you wish. SquadNumbers has just tweeted "What's your club's best team of players wearing each of the 1-11 in the squad numbers era?"

(So it's not Best Ever so much as post-92. I know it didn't.)

List (hopefully complete but with a few ineligible pre-squad-number-era names): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bolton- ... verein/355

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Best Ever 1-11

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Ha, it ain't easy. I went:

1 Branagan; 2 N'Gotty, 5 Cahill, 3 Charlton, 11 Gardner; 8 Campo, 4 Nolan, 10 Okocha; 6 Djorkaeff, 9 Pedersen, 7 Stelios

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:09 pm

1- Al-Habsi (though that feels like cheating, it's a bad list - he's 26),
2 - Bruno (again, he's 5, but I'm allright with it to get more in later),
3- Elliot (just, over Charlton who will always be 25 spiritually (number, 55 in age)),
4- Nolan (just edging Cahill out given Gudni's versatility),
5- Gudni,
6- Speed (toss up between him and Youri but I always thought the 6 looked wrong on Youri and he should've stuck with 13),
7-Stelios,
8- Holden (just about edging out Campo because he's spiritually 16, and Frandsen),
9- This is tough - I don't really remeber the mid-90s teams, so I'm going to have to go Elmander, on a rolling six-month contract. Though god love Henrik (he was a bit shit though),
10-Jay-Jay - the greatest,
11- Bibi.

But given we're football fans and moaning is much more fun, here's my worst :D

1 - Amos - Billy has been bobbins but he's a kid on loan from somewhere else. We chucked the bank at Amos, who it turned out had Gordon Brown levels of depth perception,
2 - John O'Kane, came from United. Was bobbins. Wasn't the first, won't be the last,
3 - I want to go Alonso because I couldn't and can't stand the prick, but it has to be Bruce's old pal Moxey I'm afraid,
4 - This is tough. Dzemaili was unfulfilled potential but not really his fault, Robinson will get a load of stick but Malidini would've struggled playing for Owen Coyle behind Petrov, and he always gave it his all. I'm going Matt Mills, wasn't dreadful, but hapless in a terrible team,
5 - This is more like it. Tim f*cking Ream. Weak as piss, absolutely dreadful, yet somehow player of the year what twice in a row? Owen Coyle's ultimate avatar. If you just *say* you're a ball playing centre half people will rate you. Still remember dying laughing watching Fulham concede on MoTD, watching you thought that's MILES offside, cut to a replay and the camera pans out to show dear old Nice but Tim fully 10 yards behind the rest of his backline for absolutely no reason,
6 - Again tough - Jake Wright. Didn't play much but I'm struggling to think of a slower Wanderer.
7 -I want to give it to that little prick Oztumer, but it has to be Chris Taylor, doesn't it? Wow.
8 - It's been a number of extremes, some cracking candidates above, and tough to pick a worst. I think Donaldson just about edges out Keith Andrews (though I do feel quite bad for confusing him with Clayton McDonald for a full 4 months after we signed him. Wish we had boycotted him though.
9 - David f*cking N'Gog. I'll see you outside the chippy you prick.
10 - The most prestigious number, and we've had some shithouses. I couldn't stand Petrov the lazy prick, but he had enough good moments to save him. Riga I also didn't like but mainly because of his weird fanclub of Andranik acolytes. I think it has to be Christian Willhelmsson, mainly because I was so excited when we signed him and he was so underwhelming. His missus did brighten the place up though, tbf.
11 - Rob Hall. If only for that game.

Special mention:
21 - Darren Pratley. I'm glad you're gone, Darren.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:10 pm

Youri switched from his favoured 13 for a season to accommodate Jardel. What a top bloke Youri really was.

And yeah, worst 1-11 XI will be even harder fought. Might save that for tomorrow...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:15 pm
(So it's not Best Ever so much as post-92. I know it didn't.)
On that basis, I'm out! :-)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 pm

I doubt there will be that much difference on the best...
1. Branagan
2. Bruno
3. Charlie
4. Frandsen
5. Gudni
6. Youri
7. Stelios
8. Campo
9. Blake (96/97)
10. Okocha
11. Gardner

Now the worst...
1. Ben ‘the further out they are the harder they are to see’ Amos
2. Lewis ‘running through quicksand’ Buxton
3. Joe ‘night driver’ Bunney (has to be special to pip Dean ‘Bruce’s GOAT’ Moxey and I think falling asleep at the wheel and missing most of your only chance here is!)
4. Blerim ‘can’t believe where he ended up’ Dzemaili
5. Tim ‘Owens Cahill replacement’ Ream
6. Jake ‘fit or injured you can’t tell the difference’ Wright
7. Chris ‘Shit’ Taylor
8. Clayton ‘Don’t make me turn my own tap on’ Donaldson
9. David ‘couldn’t fight my way out of a paper bag’ Ngog
10. Riga ‘keepy uppy record of 3’ Mustapha or John ‘5 caps for England. WTF’ Salako
11. Will ‘Buckley comes on as sub. Buckley is down injured.’ Buckley

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Gerald Cid getting a lot more respect than I anticipated.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:17 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:02 pm
Gerald Cid getting a lot more respect than I anticipated.
What squad number was he?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:18 pm

:oops:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:44 am

Anyone needing help on this...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bolton- ... verein/355

For me...
Al-Habsi
N'Gotty
Marcos Alonso
Nolan
Cahill
Djorkaeff
Stelios
Campo
Le Fondre
Okocha
Gardner

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:38 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:18 pm
😁 was a genuine question, I’ve blanked him from my mind!

Surprised Blake isn’t an automatic selection for anyone my age plus...11 year old me has him as an absolute top all round striker and on a frankly abysmal pitch that last season at burnden. Then looked good enough the season after to get a move that made us some reasonable money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:31 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:38 am
KeyserSoze wrote:

Surprised Blake isn’t an automatic selection for anyone my age plus...11 year old me has him as an absolute top all round striker and on a frankly abysmal pitch that last season at burnden. Then looked good enough the season after to get a move that made us some reasonable money.
Blakey was popular and more than decent but if we're talking about all-time greats then his initial struggles count against him. That first season in the Prem (95/96) he was our big striker signing in December but scored one goal in 18 as we got relegated.

Think he was also pretty much always outshone by sidekick McGinlay. In the subsequent promotion season he scored 25 and Maggie 30.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:38 am
KeyserSoze wrote:

15 apparently from a cursory search for the bayern game. Another look at the teamsheets from that match...how on earth we drew that...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:22 pm

On a similar note to this thread I see that absolute bell Neil Bonnar has made another complete tit out of himself on twitter claiming likes of Youri and Campo didn't love Bolton they just did a job and left...only for Ivan to chime in and correct him.

Of course football is a job and its unrealistic to expect international superstars to fall in love with Bolton as a place but its clear those players all hold affection towards the football club since they've all referenced that years after leaving. For Bonnar to claim otherwise - well...the man is just a total knob!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:22 pm
On a similar note to this thread I see that absolute bell Neil Bonnar has made another complete tit out of himself on twitter claiming likes of Youri and Campo didn't love Bolton they just did a job and left...only for Ivan to chime in and correct him.

Of course football is a job and its unrealistic to expect international superstars to fall in love with Bolton as a place but its clear those players all hold affection towards the football club since they've all referenced that years after leaving. For Bonnar to claim otherwise - well...the man is just a total knob!
What Bonnar also fails to appreciate is that the players he mentioned all came to us from careers and clubs which were perhaps the polar opposite of McGinlay's trajectory. Absolutely loved it that Campo responded. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:22 pm

What Bonnar also fails to appreciate is that the players he mentioned all came to us from careers and clubs which were perhaps the polar opposite of McGinlay's trajectory. Absolutely loved it that Campo responded. :lol:
Aye, the thought that Hierro might have been scraping around for his pension pot when he joined us, doesn't stack up for me. He could've almost certainly declared himself a beach bum at that point in his career, but determined he fancied playing on a bit. Any notion that he might have done this without any talking to Campo, is bizarre.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Saw Campo responded, chuckled and then felt a bit sad as it gave the irrelevant bastard a bit of gravitas for tweeting it in the first place. Not sure what Bonnars deal is? He regularly seemed to pick fights with people towards the end of his career (assume he is retired?). Seems very bitter and likes to wind others up.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:26 pm
Saw Campo responded, chuckled and then felt a bit sad as it gave the irrelevant bastard a bit of gravitas for tweeting it in the first place. Not sure what Bonnars deal is? He regularly seemed to pick fights with people towards the end of his career (assume he is retired?). Seems very bitter and likes to wind others up.
It's odd, because I've known Neil reasonably well for years, through local sports reporting and then parkrun, and find him to be a likeable bloke with a a genuine enthusiasm for local sport.
If I'd only come across him via Twitter I'm sure I'd think differently. I think he just enjoys a wind up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Someone responded that he’s doing it for the attention and Bonnar basically agreed. Curious world we live in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Someone responded that he’s doing it for the attention and Bonnar basically agreed. Curious world we live in.
I recall Crooked Ken pointing out that he only ever starts handing it out quite late in the evening, and suggesting a measure of borrowed fortitude.

Like LE, I've come to know him through Parkrun, and he really is a nice, engaging bloke. His knowledge and enthusiasm for local cricket is commendable, but then the next thing you know he's up on Twitter squabbling with senior players and officials from local clubs.
May the bridges I burn light your way