Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 pm

I can remember scouring Roy of the Rovers, Tiger, Shoot etc in the late 70s early 80s and once in a blue moon there would be a Wanderers pic in there. Usually, then as now, it was wall to wall Utd, Liverpool, lesser London sides etc. When you were surrounded by kids only too willing to support the next big thing, rather than their local team, it was damn annoying.

Kids in Bolton nowadays have less chance than ever to see coverage of their local team. Particularly since some of the remaining available coverage now will be given over to a much inferior product but hey who cares they wear a Utd badge!

That said, I do accept Prus tennis example. The mens and womens game in that sport has always co-existed pretty well. Football for me though means the mens game. I'd prefer it if Womens football promoted and existed without attaching itself to the mens game like its contemporaries in futsal, disabled footy, 5 a side, kids footy etc etc
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 pm
I can remember scouring Roy of the Rovers, Tiger, Shoot etc in the late 70s early 80s and once in a blue moon there would be a Wanderers pic in there. Usually, then as now, it was wall to wall Utd, Liverpool, lesser London sides etc. When you were surrounded by kids only too willing to support the next big thing, rather than their local team, it was damn annoying.

Kids in Bolton nowadays have less chance than ever to see coverage of their local team. Particularly since some of the remaining available coverage now will be given over to a much inferior product but hey who cares they wear a Utd badge!

That said, I do accept Prus tennis example. The mens and womens game in that sport has always co-existed pretty well. Football for me though means the mens game. I'd prefer it if Womens football promoted and existed without attaching itself to the mens game like its contemporaries in futsal, disabled footy, 5 a side, kids footy etc etc
Just how exactly has it supposedly ‘attached’ itself to the men’s game?! Because bbc sport covers it as well as the men’s game? Should they be allowed to cover women’s tennis and athletics but not women’s football? You should have different magazines for men’s and women’s football - but athletics weekly is ok covering both men and women? Or should that be split into 2 also?

You do realise that women started playing football in the 1800’s? It’s not actually a new thing.

Kids in Bolton right now have more chance then ever to watch coverage of their local team thanks to technology these days should they chose to. Ifollow means they can watch every game Bolton play on tv should they wish to? Yes? There’s a Bolton Wanderers website that gives out interviews and team news etc that I suspect wasn’t around in the 70’s and 80’s? Twitter, Facebook etc. I don’t think they are hard done by kids of today, whoever they support. It’s not like the only chances they have to catch up are MOTD or the next days newspaper.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Just how exactly has it supposedly ‘attached’ itself to the men’s game?!

You should have different magazines for men’s and women’s football
You've partially answered your own question there!

Playing at mens grounds, included in award ceremonies, generally reported as if it's some kind of equivalent etc
Without one off special events, ticket promotions etc it's a marginal sport that could and should sustain itself on crowds of around 2 or 3000 if they build separate stadia. Without support of the mens game, no way could City's womens side afford to play and keep the lights on in the Etihad!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Just put it in its own section called womens football on the BBC website already! Along with womens cricket and womens rugby. Stop mixing it in with the stuff I wanna read (or allow me to untick it).

"Look at all those hits we got for Spurs/Chelsea (womens football) is no use if half of them were blokes going "fck me, I didn't even know they were playing" and are conned into following the link. Just bullshit. That's part of why they're doing it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Just how exactly has it supposedly ‘attached’ itself to the men’s game?!

You should have different magazines for men’s and women’s football
You've partially answered your own question there!

Playing at mens grounds, included in award ceremonies, generally reported as if it's some kind of equivalent etc
Without one off special events, ticket promotions etc it's a marginal sport that could and should sustain itself on crowds of around 2 or 3000 if they build separate stadia. Without support of the mens game, no way could City's womens side afford to play and keep the lights on in the Etihad!
How are they supposed to build stadiums without the income that comes from sponsorship that they only get through being on tv, in the media?

I’m pretty sure that smaller Men’s teams such as Borehamwood where Arsenal ladies play their home
Matches are quite grateful for the rent they get for letting the Arsenal women’s team use their ground on days when they aren’t doing so themselves and it would be just left empty. You could argue that women’s football is helping keep the men’s game at lower league level alive. Brighton women do the same at Crawley Town, Chelsea at KingsMeadow, Villa at Walsall. Even the top WSL teams aren’t using massive stadiums on a regular basis, they are paying rent to lower league men’s teams desperate for the income. Is that a bad thing?

Do you really think today’s kids of Bolton have less ways to find out how their team is getting on these days compared to how you did as a kid? And if so that it’s all women’s footballs fault?!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:17 pm

Watching the England Men's game v Belgium. Can I gave a option to filter this out too!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:17 pm
Watching the England Men's game v Belgium. Can I gave a option to filter this out too!
Just went to check score. Arsenal vs Chelsea today was 12 down out of 13 in the news stories, below even the NFL...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Just went to check score. Arsenal vs Chelsea today was 12 down out of 13 in the news stories, below even the NFL...
See, you'd be able to find it quicker in it's own section. It's actually 7th on my feed, with live internationals taking up 5 of the top 6 and Ray Clemence story in there too....move it on out! Oh and take Scottish football with ya!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:08 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
See, you'd be able to find it quicker in it's own section. It's actually 7th on my feed, with live internationals taking up 5 of the top 6 and Ray Clemence story in there too....move it on out! Oh and take Scottish football with ya!
Own section! Be serious! Should bbc news have a separate section for news that contains women too?! Only men’s stuff on the front page?! At the end of the day there’s plenty of women use the BBC sport page as well as men, why should they have to ferret about and be made to feel inferior simply because you can’t be arsed to scroll on by?!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am

This isn't about what the BBC publish or promote.

For all I care, their general (not signed in) football landing page could be promoting articles about womens football, Scottish football, mens football or any other form of football, however they wish.

As it does today.

Up to them.

But I don't want to see them on the view of that landing page I personally hit (the one that's personal to me), so I should be able to turn them off, the bits I don't want as well as having the option to turn bits on that I do want. Me turning them off my view, doesn't alter your view (or anybody elses), you see your preferences.

It's called choice and no one is made to ferret anywhere as two individuals are looking at two different views based on their own preferences.

It already has it's own section, on having another look. Bizarrely called "womens football". That's normal in data structures, data is categorised so the computer can find it quicker. Instead of the computer having to trawl all its content to find articles on "Scottish football", if they're stored in a data section called "Scottish football" it finds them quicker. Just the off switch I can't find.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:34 pm

Covid deniers and anti vaxxers.

First, who on earth can seriously believe so many people involved in treatment for the China virus can keep a mass cover up or exaggeration secret?

Second, most of us were vaccinated against measles and Polio as kids, way, way back when science and genetics were hardly in the league of today, are we all dead?
These vaccines are not as 'new' as some would have you believe Covid type virus has been around in various guises for years research has been carried out on prevention almost as long, the scale of problem focused the mind to accelerate development.

China, Batwomans finger prints are all over this virus hence hiding the early data, I don't think it was a deliberate release more a cock up by messing one step too far although this has played out to their advantage.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:32 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:34 pm
Covid deniers and anti vaxxers.

First, who on earth can seriously believe so many people involved in treatment for the China virus can keep a mass cover up or exaggeration secret?

Second, most of us were vaccinated against measles and Polio as kids, way, way back when science and genetics were hardly in the league of today, are we all dead?
These vaccines are not as 'new' as some would have you believe Covid type virus has been around in various guises for years research has been carried out on prevention almost as long, the scale of problem focused the mind to accelerate development.

China, Batwomans finger prints are all over this virus hence hiding the early data, I don't think it was a deliberate release more a cock up by messing one step too far although this has played out to their advantage.
I don't think this has anything to do with labs in China and everything to do with the ability every so often for a virus to jump the species barrier and cause this mayhem.

But regardless anti-vax nonsense isn't new especially in Yankee Doodle Dandy land these nutters have existed forever. The internet has propagated it though because you can find 'sources' to back up whatever whack job opinion you want to hold and be able to 'justify'.

I think we have a unique mix of perhaps a younger generation who don't want to believe stuff that is hard and an older generation who fight tooth and nail to protect their so called way of life (see the decades of hilarious climate change denial based on nothing but anecdote and a handful of whack job scientists). Its a dangerous melting pot round the world right now and frankly I am concerned for the future. It seems its all too easy to persuade people to abandon relatively sensible democratic and centrist views to pursue an agenda of misinformation and dangerous extremism in one form or another. And to add to it its random people on the internet as well as those with actual power who are pursuing these paths. I remember a couple of decades ago some coverage of some nutty American cult that encouraged their members to tie up their wives and beat their kids or something along those lines. The papers all covered it as a short 'bunch of loonies' thing. Nowadays you'd have the BBC having to bring a cult representative who'd take some nutjob wackadoodle science by some youtuber as evidence that their way is right and BBC for balance would be forced to weight that view as equal to you know actual people....

The next decade or so is going to be rough I think. Not a pretty time at all.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am

I think I'm a bit more optimistic for the next few years once *gestures in the general direction of the outside world* subsides, mainly because I think people will be deliriously happy to see each other and not really care about what @Geoff43905485 has to say about Middle Eastern politics and the EU. Sure the noise will still blare out but I don't it will be listened to as much. People are more likely to gravitate to the precipices in times of extreme stress, and once the majority of that stress goes I think it will help filter out a lot of that noise. Heck, people might even stop talking about Brexit! :D

I don't think it's particular about yesteryear or today's generation, either. People get sucked into believing stuff like this all the time if they believe in someone's authority. We aren't that far removed from Andrew Wakefield's heinous claims on the MMR vaccine, for instance, and the effects of that still resonate today.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:59 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am
I think I'm a bit more optimistic for the next few years once *gestures in the general direction of the outside world* subsides, mainly because I think people will be deliriously happy to see each other and not really care about what @Geoff43905485 has to say about Middle Eastern politics and the EU. Sure the noise will still blare out but I don't it will be listened to as much. People are more likely to gravitate to the precipices in times of extreme stress, and once the majority of that stress goes I think it will help filter out a lot of that noise. Heck, people might even stop talking about Brexit! :D

I don't think it's particular about yesteryear or today's generation, either. People get sucked into believing stuff like this all the time if they believe in someone's authority. We aren't that far removed from Andrew Wakefield's heinous claims on the MMR vaccine, for instance, and the effects of that still resonate today.
I suppose you look at the USA where 70 odd million of them voted for Trump and a lot of those people see the riot as being 'justified by God' and not ironically either. You look at the fact that here we have a government who one minute tell people to ignore 'experts' as they are part of the global 'elite' the next minute to hang on their every word. It was all unimaginable back just two decades ago where the most extremist political discussion was 'do we spend a tiny amount on poor people or trust in trickle down economics again?'

Its not even really politics - its more a reflection of society in a wider sense. Its hard to even grasp how desperately entrenched in extremist identities and social politics we've become. Right across the spectrum its a total mess. I looked on facebook the other day for the first time in ages - one post was all about taking down the Israeli apologist Starmer and expelling those who have 'stolen the Labour party away from the righteous and true' the other was a rant about not taking the knee (inspired of course by a member of our current government) and how and I'm paraphrasing here 'if these types want us to show them respect they can go back where they belong and stab each other there'. Each post full of argument and discussion. And I thought - 20 years ago both would have just been derided as utterly bonkers yet now both have plenty defending their view.

The problem for me is these people are surrounded by themselves online in their feeds, egging each other on. They either don't, or choose not to see the opposing view and sources that don't support their view are immediately, without critical thought, dismissed as 'lies' or 'fake nooooowwzzzz'. And it does scare me because these are actual people, not just idiots online.

I had someone post an anti-lockdown leaflet through my door - resits the lockdown.....I mean there are people paying money to print and distribute this stuff. Its all a bit mind blowing really.

Nothing is a fact or evidence anymore. Its just opinion because if for example you walk up to Mr 'resist the lockdown' nutjob and point out his graphs have incorrect axes to make it look like there is no problem he'll just try and claim the real graphs are 'lies' and no amount of 'but you've switched scales mid axis' fact will matter. Nor to those who believe it. Or want to believe it. Because whether you deep down think something really or not doesn't matter anymore. If you don't enjoy lockdown - just decide to believe Covid is a conspiracy and just a bad flu.

For me we need some pretty major course correction but I fear the pandora's box lid has been opened by the 'nobody needs experts anymore' brigade and we're living in the post-fact, post-truth age. Where some nutters ramblings and incorrect data have to be given equal weight against 50 years of scientific expertise and excellence because failure to do so leads potentially to your source being dismissed by the nutjobs and your outlet becoming history.

I honestly don't know how we get out of this. Pru used to joke about the BBC's 'what do you reckon' stuff - but a few years later we're living in that world.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am

My problem with 'expert's are idiots who last March supported a lockdown yet told us allowing a million a day to arrive or pass through because "it didn't matter" from places like China! Don't get me started on that so called mathematician prof lockdown.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am
Don't get me started on
We won't. No problem. Exactly as you were, Sir. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:08 pm

Tourists.

No matter that we're in lockdown and not supposed to be leaving your house apart from essential stuff, there are still tourists about. Most have the good grace to at least try and keep a low profile, but today a bunch came in the shop asking where they can get a meal. After explaining everywhere is shut because of Covid they then wanted to know where they can get accommodation tonight. They couldn't understand why everything is shut and didn't appreciate my suggesting they could stay in their own bed at home where they are supposed to be.

Fecking eejits :roll:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:08 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:08 pm
Tourists.

No matter that we're in lockdown and not supposed to be leaving your house apart from essential stuff, there are still tourists about. Most have the good grace to at least try and keep a low profile, but today a bunch came in the shop asking where they can get a meal. After explaining everywhere is shut because of Covid they then wanted to know where they can get accommodation tonight. They couldn't understand why everything is shut and didn't appreciate my suggesting they could stay in their own bed at home where they are supposed to be.

Oh dear. Some not very bright people about by the sounds of it. Probably Spurs fans.

Anyway AT, think on happier things and go and give us your top 5 chocolate bars. 😋

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:30 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:08 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tourists.

Oh dear. Some not very bright people about by the sounds of it. Probably Spurs fans.

Anyway AT, think on happier things and go and give us your top 5 chocolate bars. 😋
Not sure I have any favourites. I could share the top sellers though 😀

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:33 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:08 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tourists.

Not sure I have any favourites. I could share the top sellers though 😀
Go on then, we’ll see who’s got it right! :wink: