Top 5 of all time...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 pm

5 best matches? BPs taken all the obvious ones so a few less obvious choices

3-2 Derby (H) 1982. A midweek game in the last week of the season. We were going down unless we won our last 2 matches. Trailing 1-2 with about 3 minutes left, we only went and won it with the last kick of the game. It was the first time I'd ever realised how much BWFC meant to everyone else. There were old blokes punching the air as the winner went in.

8-1 Walsall (H) 1983 After 4 miserable seasons, there was no inkling that was going to happen. A scoreline and Caldwells 5 goals are unlikely to be equalled in my lifetime.

4-4 Oldham (A) LC1R2L. 1984 Just a mad end to end game with us looking comfortable, then hanging on, before a late breakaway goal in front of the travelling fans.

1-0 Wigan (A) FRT NF1L. 1986. You cant beat a last minute winner against your local rivals, especially when it puts you on the cusp of a first Wembley trip in 28 years. Proper 'limbs' in the away end when Caldwells winner went in.

2-1 QPR (A) 2019. Our last away win in the championship. We were practically already relegated, heading towards admin at a rate of knots but still managed one last feck you. Sunny day, good company, the best view I've ever had in an away end, with Connolly's winner right in front of us.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:49 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:51 pm
Chocolate Biscuits

1. Tunnock’s caramel wafers
2. Cadbury’s snack
3. Club fruit
4. Rocky
5. Trio
Swot.
You too could be a teachers pet if you just answered the question. Blimey, I get less lip from the year 5’s at work!
I spent most of my time outside Headmasters Office awaiting the cane.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Chocolate Biscuits

2. Cadbury’s snack
3. Club fruit
4. Rocky
5. Trio
Swot.
8) :fingers:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 pm
5 best matches? BPs taken all the obvious ones so a few less obvious choices

3-2 Derby (H) 1982. A midweek game in the last week of the season. We were going down unless we won our last 2 matches. Trailing 1-2 with about 3 minutes left, we only went and won it with the last kick of the game. It was the first time I'd ever realised how much BWFC meant to everyone else. There were old blokes punching the air as the winner went in.

8-1 Walsall (H) 1983 After 4 miserable seasons, there was no inkling that was going to happen. A scoreline and Caldwells 5 goals are unlikely to be equalled in my lifetime.

4-4 Oldham (A) LC1R2L. 1984 Just a mad end to end game with us looking comfortable, then hanging on, before a late breakaway goal in front of the travelling fans.

1-0 Wigan (A) FRT NF1L. 1986. You cant beat a last minute winner against your local rivals, especially when it puts you on the cusp of a first Wembley trip in 28 years. Proper 'limbs' in the away end when Caldwells winner went in.

2-1 QPR (A) 2019. Our last away win in the championship. We were practically already relegated, heading towards admin at a rate of knots but still managed one last feck you. Sunny day, good company, the best view I've ever had in an away end, with Connolly's winner right in front of us.

Good shout on the Derby game. Seemingly dead and buried, then 2 wins from our last 2 games kept us up. Really didn’t expect us to beat Sheffield Wednesday on the last day.

Aye, great day out at QPR. Agreed on the company and view. Matching hoodies not so much. 😂 Little did I know how long I’d have to wait to see another away win!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Chocolate Biscuits

2. Cadbury’s snack
3. Club fruit
4. Rocky
5. Trio
Swot.
You too could be a teachers pet if you just answered the question. Blimey, I get less lip from the year 5’s at work!
Can’t say I’m surprised. :wink:

Personally I’d bring it back on this thread for all the people placing kitkat chunkys in the wrong category. :spank:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:47 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Chocolate Biscuits

2. Cadbury’s snack
3. Club fruit
4. Rocky
5. Trio
Swot.
Can’t say I’m surprised. :wink:

Personally I’d bring it back on this thread for all the people placing kitkat chunkys in the wrong category. :spank:
It has more right to be in the chocolate bar category than creme eggs and bloody minstrels! I’ll
give you standard Kit Kat in the biscuit category, but the chunky has a chocolate to biscuit ratio which elevates it to a chocolate bar. End of!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:48 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 pm
New category - Best games you’ve attended.

My top 5. Sod it 6!
1. Tied Hull away and Reading play off final - Magnificent occasions!
3. Liverpool away FA Cup - When we first started to believe we were going places with Bruce. Rioch, not Rioja! Knocking out the holders on their own patch.
4. Arsenal away FA Cup - Knocking out the holders on their own patch. Again! 😎 Sorry. Not sorry. GG
5. Everton away FA Cup - Back on the giant killing trail and coming back from 2 down to win 3-2.
6. Forest - The Wilbraham game! Jack Dearden’s commentary still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I was right in line with the ball as it angled into the corner of the net!

Any of those could be interchangeable dependent on when you ask me and how much I’ve had to drink when you ask!

Bubbling under and arguably the most important of all (in terms of the wider football world). Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 - Last minute Mickey Thomas goal to win the league for the Gunners. Surrounded by crying Scousers. fecking glorious! A scene I will take to my grave! 😂😎
Ooof all of those apart from Arsenal which I didn't manage to make.

I'd throw into the mix...

2001 Man Utd away - absolutely bloody brilliant beating them on their own patch
Port Vale away - remember that for a long time I will. Super day.
Preston (super John penalty at Burnden) - not the best game but the tension and release was on another level. Bolton are back!
Swindon league cup semi second leg - the last 25 minutes of that game were as exciting and heart poundingly brilliant as you'll ever get watching professional sport!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Ok, so next topic for those still playing is crisps. Come in a packet (or tin, pringles are allowed cos I like them) made of potato. Thems the rules. Fair?!

After much thought and still not convinced they are in the right order

1. Tyrrells lightly salted

2. Hula hoops cheese and onion (though beef and original are right up there too.)

3. Pringles bbq flavour

4. Skips

5. Quavers

(Honourable mention for Pickled onion monster munch)

I may change my mind on these at any point...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 pm

1. Seabrooks - beef
2. Seabrooks - ready salted
3. Seabrooks lattice - ready salted
4. Smiths squares - ready salted
5. McCoy’s - flame grilled steak

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 am

Think some of these might slightly contravene the rules, but....

1 - Smiths scampi fries (THE best ever pub snack by a country mile...)
2 - Bacon wheat crunchies
3 - Nice n Spicy Nik-Naks
4 - Any of pickled onion / flaming hot / beef monster munch (I'm not picky....)
5 - Beef hula hoops (but only so you can eat them by putting them on your fingers first....)

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:01 am

and by the way, any ready/lightly salted crisps should be banned. There's just no point when there are so many other falvours available....

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 am

5 - Beef hula hoops (but only so you can eat them by putting them on your fingers first....)
You’re venturing into pub snacks with a few of those, which is another category entirely!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:01 am
and by the way, any ready/lightly salted crisps should be banned. There's just no point when there are so many other falvours available....
Are there that many flavours though? So many are the same, regardless of how they dress up the name. Countless varieties of crisps are smoky bacon flavour but called something else!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 am

Oooh nik-naks. Not had them in ages! Do they still sell them?!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:53 am

dave the minion wrote:
I used to think they were boring growing up but now they push cheese and onion for my favourite flavour!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:37 am

dave the minion wrote:
Flavoured crisps are absolutely vile though. I honestly vomit at the smell of cheese and onion. If you want smoky bacon eat a bacon sandwich, not fried potatoes coated in E numbers.

Only permissible flavours are chilli and salt and vinegar. The rest - no.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 am

Can't believe we've got this far on this stupidity without

#1 Wotsits and
#2 Salt n Vinegar

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 am

#1 Wotsits and
#2 Salt n Vinegar
Do they make your top 5 then Worthy?!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 am

#1 Wotsits and
#2 Salt n Vinegar
Wotsits are for kids and salt and vinegar are awful. They belong on fish and chips, not crisps!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:32 pm

See, most of my favourite crisps have either been discontinued or are now a piss-poor imitation of their former selves.

If I could walk out through the smoke dressed as Cher whilst turning back time, my favourite crisps are / were;

1: Warburton's Salted Crisps in Sunflower Oil. Years ahead of their time - the dawn of the posh crisps market was a good 20 years away. The forerunner of current 'kettle' crisps, and the best by far. Bring them back, Jonathan.
2: Monster Munch Roast Beef. "Hunks of beef" "The Biggest Snack Pennies Can Buy" said the TV ads, and they were. Well, they were when they were made by Smiths. Taken over and completely ruined by Walkers since 1995. Now a tiny, pale and tasteless imitation.
3: Seabrook Canadian Ham. The only good thing to come out of Bradford other than for Rita, Sue and Bob too. Sadly, as the premium crisps market has gone from strength to strength, these penny-piching Yorkshire c*nts have decided to make their product as cheap (and subsequently as poor) as is possibly by setting the potato slicer to 'gossamer' and adjusting the pour rate of the flavour-powder machine to, well, Yorkshirean. Now just translucent, flavourless and particularly greasy. Awful.
4: Ringos Cheese and Onion. It's ridiculous that whatever the current abominations are, that they're allowed to go by the same name. These firm, circular, starchy beauties used to leave you sucking flavour off of your fingers for endless hours afterwards. Sadly, Golden Wonder went into Administration in 2006 and is now a subsidiary of the Northern Irish company Tayto, who, being Irish and that, you'd like to think might know a thing or two about serving up potato based stuff. Ruined beyond all recognition. Absolute shite. Horrible.
5: Quavers. Just what the feck has gone on here? When a 12 pack has less density than a helium-filled balloon, something's gone seriously awry here. As with Monster Munch, these were bloody lovely when made by Smiths (and you'd always get either a green one or a rock hard one, sometimes both, in every packet). Deep-fried potato starch smothered in spray-dried cheese powder at its very best, only to be ruined beyond all recognition upon acquisition by Walkers in 95. Now the absolute epitome of a bag of fresh air. Just nowt, nothing, nada.

So, that's that off my chest. What's next? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way