Pre-season 2022/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Pre-season 2022/23

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:07 am

Too many times in the past we have lost players thru injury in pre season games. If we get to 30th July with a full fit squad that's the most important result
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 am

Game against Bamber Bridge tomorrow in the calendar iirc. Given we're experiencing record heatwaves across the country I'd suspect we'd be hearing an announcement of a postponement on that match.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:07 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 am
Game against Bamber Bridge tomorrow in the calendar iirc. Given we're experiencing record heatwaves across the country I'd suspect we'd be hearing an announcement of a postponement on that match.
Evatt's in the paper today saying he won't town done training due to the heatwave, because we lost on Saturday. Not the wisest medical decision.

With Brig, we could just push back the KO time (although I've heard it might still be 32C at 10pm tonight, for instance) or push it back a day to Wednesday, which is expected to be cooler.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:13 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:07 am
Mar wrote:
Evatt's in the paper today saying he won't town done training due to the heatwave, because we lost on Saturday. Not the wisest medical decision.

With Brig, we could just push back the KO time (although I've heard it might still be 32C at 10pm tonight, for instance) or push it back a day to Wednesday, which is expected to be cooler.
His comments were odd on this. Record temperatures require some changes not a punishment work out for losing a pre season friendly.

At times Evatt is his own worst enemy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:13 am

His comments were odd on this. Record temperatures require some changes not a punishment work out for losing a pre season friendly.

[/quote]

Nah, he's just being human. We all make bad judgment sometimes, and his opinions are usually wiser then ours.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:

I think he probably thinks it's the kind of talk the fans want to hear

Come August, will games be postponed due to 35c heat? I'd guess not
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:08 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:

I think he probably thinks it's the kind of talk the fans want to hear

Come August, will games be postponed due to 35c heat? I'd guess not
I suspect that he's trying to keep a high standard and not let it drop leading into the season. High temperatures would be conducive towards good fitness conditioning but I don't think that applies now given that we're hitting extreme weather.

Can only imagine the tempo dropping as the heat is so high.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Full pack. Winter Hill....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:14 pm

Classic Evatt, he’s irked Jacqui Oatley I see. I have no doubt club doctor etc are involved any decision, like Boris said he says things we want to hear.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:14 pm
Classic Evatt, he’s irked Jacqui Oatley I see. I have no doubt club doctor etc are involved any decision, like Boris said he says things we want to hear.
Clarkson and Keys are also tweeting about how the weather isn't that bad, in my day, this country, etc. Not the company I'd wish to keep. And not the sort of look that many big clubs would want. (Some Twitterers are already rehashing the "man up" thing.) But that's fine, as I don't want him to go to another club.

Was reminded yesterday while researching a weather piece that in the 2003 heatwave, 14,000 people died in France alone of heat-related conditions. Manual outdoor workers particularly at risk of extertional stress. As you say, the doctor will presumably step in. If Evatt wants to punish them, he can bring them inside and download more content.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:31 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:14 pm
Clarkson and Keys are also tweeting about how the weather isn't that bad, in my day, this country, etc. Not the company I'd wish to keep. And not the sort of look that many big clubs would want. (Some Twitterers are already rehashing the "man up" thing.) But that's fine, as I don't want him to go to another club.

Was reminded yesterday while researching a weather piece that in the 2003 heatwave, 14,000 people died in France alone of heat-related conditions. Manual outdoor workers particularly at risk of extertional stress. As you say, the doctor will presumably step in. If Evatt wants to punish them, he can bring them inside and download more content.
That’s the thing about what he said. Were he channeling Neil Warnock or Tony Pulis then one can understand what he’s doing. But he’s trying to be the next bright young progressive manager so it just was odd in my book to say it.

Not surprised Jacqui Oatley weighed in it was asking for it really.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:11 pm
Full pack. Winter Hill....
Has anyone mentioned 76 yet? :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pm

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/club-statement/
Bolton Wanderers Football Club is aware of an incident which took place at the weekend.

Kyle Dempsey and his father were enjoying an evening out with their family in their home town of Maryport following Saturday’s pre-season friendly against his former club Carlisle United.

During the course of the evening, they were both subjected to an unprovoked assault which left them requiring medical treatment.

The Dempsey family will receive the full support of Chairman Sharon Brittan, manager Ian Evatt and the Club while the incident is being investigated by Cumbria Police.

No further comment will be made at this time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:40 pm

Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:33 pm
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/club-statement/
Bolton Wanderers Football Club is aware of an incident which took place at the weekend.

Kyle Dempsey and his father were enjoying an evening out with their family in their home town of Maryport following Saturday’s pre-season friendly against his former club Carlisle United.

During the course of the evening, they were both subjected to an unprovoked assault which left them requiring medical treatment.

The Dempsey family will receive the full support of Chairman Sharon Brittan, manager Ian Evatt and the Club while the incident is being investigated by Cumbria Police.

No further comment will be made at this time.
Hmmm. I thought it was an odd statement at the time. Looks even more odd now. Not sure this was a wise move from the club.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:43 pm

Not sure why it looked odd at the time

But the press reports picking it up contain a statement from Cumbria police (doing that mental think where they don't name people, but give the ages and/or residence of those involved) said a man in his 40s suffered facial injuries and two men aged 26 and 49 were arrested. So sounds pretty likely Dempsey was arrested. God knows beyond that.

I'm not taking the word of a randomer on Twitter.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:43 pm
Not sure why it looked odd at the time

But the press reports picking it up contain a statement from Cumbria police (doing that mental think where they don't name people, but give the ages and/or residence of those involved) said a man in his 40s suffered facial injuries and two men aged 26 and 49 were arrested. So sounds pretty likely Dempsey was arrested. God knows beyond that.

I'm not taking the word of a randomer on Twitter.
I thought it was odd for a football club to declare an incident an ‘unprovoked attack’ without any external corroboration such as a police report or media coverage of the event. It just felt a bit like they were trying to put a case across which felt inappropriate.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:43 pm

As I've said to many (who usually don't believe me) Cumbrian coastal towns are amongst the least hospitable, unwelcoming, and frankly hostile places in England - especially Barrow.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:43 pm
As I've said to many (who usually don't believe me) Cumbrian coastal towns are amongst the least hospitable, unwelcoming, and frankly hostile places in England - especially Barrow.
Yeah, it's like the Wild West.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:43 pm
Yeah, it's like the Wild West.
You should have tried The Frontier Nightclub in Halifax in the 80's. Made Phoenix Nights look like the Ritz :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:23 pm

Bolton B team lose to Bamber Bridge 1-0 with a late goal conceded. Sounds like a copy of their last match, quite a few positives but not yet an end product.

If they're trying to replicate the first team's style and play which would make a lot of sense then I suspect they'll be in for a slow start and slowly working towards something effective.

Early days.