January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:56 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:37 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:27 am
No rumours regarding the Merthyr Messi, Declan John then?

I wonder whether there’s a misalignment between his ambitions and likely interested suitors?
Bristol Rovers was the most persistent one.

*edit* Regarding ambitions not matching interest, that could be seen as inevitable when you sign players and tell them they're on a journey to the Prem, then later that they're not good enough to start for your League One side. Probably a tad confusing for a lad.
Brizzle Rovers would be a good move for him, don’t think he’s doing better than that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:08 am

Playing for Joey Barton? I’d prefer wrexham with Parky…

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:13 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:08 am
Playing for Joey Barton? I’d prefer wrexham with Parky…
A good point well made, but barring the fact Barton is a c*nt, it’s close to where he’s from and they’re doing pretty well in League One.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 am

Another BN piece with Evatt saying Dapo wouldn't change his plans - but also saying he wants more "high ceiling" players like the Radcliffe Pirlo.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ayan-exit/
For this transfer window it [Dapo going] is not necessarily going to change my plans. The plans are the plans, and those things are already in progress. We don’t want it dragging on because we want to know where we are at, of course we do.

But in terms of the other clubs and their conversations with Dapo – we have done our bit. We have accepted the offer, the right valuation at the right time for us, so what will be, will be.

Everyone we are trying to bring in is not only trying to inspire the group and give the group a lift but also the supporters too. We want that fear factor about us, where people know we have good players in the building. I do think we are getting that now.

We want different options for different circumstances and I am really pleased with what we have put together. There is good value in that squad, and we will consistently look for good value in players.

We want a high ceiling. Aaron Morley, for instance, was a wonderful bit of business last season, in my opinion, and he is excelling and improving all the time.

Being a selling club isn’t necessarily a bad thing and we shouldn’t frown upon it. I understand the fans want as many good players in the building as we can but there has to be a balance to it all. We will continuously look at that balance and try to get the decisions right. Only time will tell if we have, or not.
Ilesy also says "Wanderers are not expected to recirculate the funds raised by any potential Afolayan sale immediately but Evatt remains confident his squad will be stronger after the January window."

I would presume that is a different thing to "Wanderers will be a man down". It will be interesting to see where the "two more signings thought to be in his sights" play.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:57 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 am
Another BN piece with Evatt saying Dapo wouldn't change his plans - but also saying he wants more "high ceiling" players like the Radcliffe Pirlo.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ayan-exit/
For this transfer window it [Dapo going] is not necessarily going to change my plans. The plans are the plans, and those things are already in progress. We don’t want it dragging on because we want to know where we are at, of course we do.

But in terms of the other clubs and their conversations with Dapo – we have done our bit. We have accepted the offer, the right valuation at the right time for us, so what will be, will be.

Everyone we are trying to bring in is not only trying to inspire the group and give the group a lift but also the supporters too. We want that fear factor about us, where people know we have good players in the building. I do think we are getting that now.

We want different options for different circumstances and I am really pleased with what we have put together. There is good value in that squad, and we will consistently look for good value in players.

We want a high ceiling. Aaron Morley, for instance, was a wonderful bit of business last season, in my opinion, and he is excelling and improving all the time.

Being a selling club isn’t necessarily a bad thing and we shouldn’t frown upon it. I understand the fans want as many good players in the building as we can but there has to be a balance to it all. We will continuously look at that balance and try to get the decisions right. Only time will tell if we have, or not.
Ilesy also says "Wanderers are not expected to recirculate the funds raised by any potential Afolayan sale immediately but Evatt remains confident his squad will be stronger after the January window."

I would presume that is a different thing to "Wanderers will be a man down". It will be interesting to see where the "two more signings thought to be in his sights" play.
We do need a new pitch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:58 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:57 pm
We do need a new pitch.
Famously difficult to get in January though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:11 pm

DJBlu wrote:

We do need a new pitch.
I'd wager that there isn't a better one in this league, and plenty a site worse.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:11 pm
DJBlu wrote:

We do need a new pitch.
I'd wager that there isn't a better one in this league, and plenty a site worse.
Have you seen it today Bruce? One wag described it as balder than Iles.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:01 pm

Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

We do need a new pitch.
:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:11 pm

Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:53 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:23 am
Maybe if I could be arsed looking up the stats our "goal involvements from bench" stuff would be better than it *feels* like it is, but we look light in that area.
I can't tell you that, but I can reveal that only three L1 teams have made more subs than our 104 this season: Plymouth (106), Charlton (109) and Ipswich (111).

Plymouth's Ryan Hardie has the most goals off the bench (5).

Only Wycombe (13 minutes) average shorter subs' time-on-pitch (ie have later switches) than us (18 minutes).

Only Tyler Goodhram of Oxford (18) has made more sub appearances than Sadlier's 17. Baka is joint-7th on 15.

On a slightly different note, I can also reveal we're 16th in the league for chance conversion - ie shots per goal. We're on 8.6% conversion. Top team, oddly, is Bristol Rovers on 12.2% but Ipswich and Plymouth are tucked in the top four.
Was thinking about this the other day and how I think the 5 subs has really helped up this year.

We seem to have got around the difficulties pressing in a 352 by having the front two run themselves silly every game. We seem to change them both every game. Would be surprised if we've had a single game this year where both starting strikers have done the 90.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:11 pm
Would be surprised if we've had a single game this year where both starting strikers have done the 90.
I can check, but only when I can be arsed. Ask me Monday when I’m at work :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:28 pm

If it helps, you can rule out today :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:28 pm
If it helps, you can rule out today :D
Which doesn't leave many games to look at "this year" :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:22 pm

Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

We do need a new pitch.
That'll have been one of you hirsute types, showing off. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:29 pm

Cant find any highlights on youtube? Also, have to have a bit of sympathy for Pompey. Two 500 mile round trips in 5 day and to lose both. That's hard.. Mind you..... :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:30 pm

Evatt: “I’d think that things would develop early next week in terms of ins and outs, but for now there isn’t anything to speak of.”

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:46 pm

Would be interested to know if anyone would commit to offering Aimson a new contract at this stage (assuming he'd sign one, of course).

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:46 pm
Would be interested to know if anyone would commit to offering Aimson a new contract at this stage (assuming he'd sign one, of course).
He's earned one in my books.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:49 pm
I think a few are of the same opinion.

If we go up, does he start in the Championship for you?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:49 pm
I think a few are of the same opinion.

If we go up, does he start in the Championship for you?
If we went up off the back of this back three keeping clean sheets then they’d be first dibs unless we managed to upgrade significantly on them in the summer. We’d have a lot to do in the summer too.

I would think Aimson might be at his ceiling now but that would be the case for a number of players I think.