January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:17 pm

Iles has just messaged that he's very confident indeed that we'll get at least one in today. Is he just being optimistic or has he been told there's a definite incoming but to play it down for now? We shall see.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:06 pm
When you think about it, Aimson was the biggest loss this window. Experienced. Form of his life. The ideal centre back between Toal and Johnston if Santos isn’t playing (or for me instead of). And whilst he obviously wanted to play and you couldn’t say he was happy not doing, he was not ever going to rock the boat. A great pro.

Losing him is a pretty tough blow as we won’t get a better player in. And it’s one we didn’t expect up until the middle of last week. A surprise we hadn’t planned for at all this window.
Seems odd it took us that much by surprise when he and his agent had been sounding clubs out for ages. He even said in the open he'd looked strongly at leaving this window. If we didn't have contingency planning on that it was a real failure of imagination. I don't even work there and I've always got lists in the back of my head for contingencies related to Wanderers - it's just habit.

If he was that unlikely to rock the boat and we were that horrified, why let him go? We said it was good money, but unless we had something rock solid to replace him it's very daft.

Obviously I completely disagree about Aimson being ideal for us at the back, he's nowhere close, but he was a reliable pro. We'll have to see what things look like at midnight, once all the news has filtered out.
He was staying but for a club in a part of the country he wanted to live, offering cash, and a long deal for him. I’m not sure anyone could have foreseen that really happening. Given there are only a small handful down there.

We let him go because we got a fee and he asked to go as it set him up, see Evatt saying ‘he did right by us so we have to do right by him’. And let’s not argue, but Evatt doesn’t see Aimson as the answer over Santos so keeping him for 6 months when a dream offer is on the table for him would be very harsh indeed, especially as it gave us some cash.

If you assess it as a move for the club and Evatt they didn’t want it. But the human element is there. And it just leaves us scrambling a bit.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm
He was staying but for a club in a part of the country he wanted to live, offering cash, and a long deal for him. I’m not sure anyone could have foreseen that really happening. Given there are only a small handful down there.

We let him go because we got a fee and he asked to go as it set him up, see Evatt saying ‘he did right by us so we have to do right by him’. And let’s not argue, but Evatt doesn’t see Aimson as the answer over Santos so keeping him for 6 months when a dream offer is on the table for him would be very harsh indeed, especially as it gave us some cash.

If you assess it as a move for the club and Evatt they didn’t want it. But the human element is there. And it just leaves us scrambling a bit.
Oh, I get all that - I'm just not sure it was shocking enough for a scramble. Any player who has wanted away and is on an expiring deal is a red in my book and you have active conversations on the go towards the end of any window with potential replacements.

Anyway, looks like we've got something done - even if bums got a bit squeaky.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 pm

Its 3.30 and we need league one centre half cover. Squeaky bum time is being in the premiership drop zone, desperate for a striker after failing to land one in the summer, losing out on your three main striker targets in the jan window and having Marvin Sordell sat in the services on the M1 and 10pm!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 pm
Its 3.30 and we need league one centre half cover. Squeaky bum time is being in the premiership drop zone, desperate for a striker after failing to land one in the summer, losing out on your three main striker targets in the jan window and having Marvin Sordell sat in the services on the M1 and 10pm!
No, that's just bad work. There's squeaky bum and there's shitting the bed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 pm
No, that's just bad work. There's squeaky bum and there's shitting the bed.
The further up the ladder you go the more inevitable the latter happens I'm afraid!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:47 pm
The further up the ladder you go the more inevitable the latter happens I'm afraid!
No real concern and everything gone to plan, according the Marc.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:06 pm
When you think about it, Aimson was the biggest loss this window. Experienced. Form of his life. The ideal centre back between Toal and Johnston if Santos isn’t playing (or for me instead of). And whilst he obviously wanted to play and you couldn’t say he was happy not doing, he was not ever going to rock the boat. A great pro.

Losing him is a pretty tough blow as we won’t get a better player in. And it’s one we didn’t expect up until the middle of last week. A surprise we hadn’t planned for at all this window.
Seems odd it took us that much by surprise when he and his agent had been sounding clubs out for ages. He even said in the open he'd looked strongly at leaving this window. If we didn't have contingency planning on that it was a real failure of imagination. I don't even work there and I've always got lists in the back of my head for contingencies related to Wanderers - it's just habit.

If he was that unlikely to rock the boat and we were that horrified, why let him go? We said it was good money, but unless we had something rock solid to replace him it's very daft.

Obviously I completely disagree about Aimson being ideal for us at the back, he's nowhere close, but he was a reliable pro. We'll have to see what things look like at midnight, once all the news has filtered out.
Yeah - I'm not at all convinced this was "surprising" to us. I suspect until maybe mid-Dec it might have actually been "nailed on"...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:52 pm

Started to read the deadline day blog but feck me some of the comments on there are absolutely brainless I had to stop. Not sure how Iles does it. He’s just patiently responded to someone genuinely insisting a loan move for Nat Philips, to cover our centre halves, would suit him!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:51 pm
Yeah - I'm not at all convinced this was "surprising" to us. I suspect until maybe mid-Dec it might have actually been "nailed on"...
Was very much the impression at the time and Marc is saying the same. It looks like it might actually be a case of we lined up deals assuming he'd now stay and when he left we welcomed it and kicked things up a notch. Might expect a first team right-sider out of this - which I think we wanted before and put a hold on.

We'll find out soon.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:03 pm

Luke Mbete. Nice.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:03 pm
Luke Mbete. Nice.
Now is he any good is the main question? At least Traff has now got a mate with him 😁

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm

Another one inbound?

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:05 pm

Luke Mbete just announced.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:05 pm

Ticks some boxes, but hasn't played much for Hudds. Anyone seen him?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:06 pm

Firstr one in: Lujke Mbete. city and England under 21 centre half on loan....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:07 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:04 pm
Now is he any good is the main question? At least Traff has now got a mate with him 😁
Struggled to get in the team at Huddersfield in the Championship, but undoubtedly talented if very raw. City tied him down with a new deal before he left on loan in the summer.

Delay makes sense now, as does the "calling in a favour" bit. Getting him out of one loan and into another takes time.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:10 pm

I could be/probably am wrong, but I'm wondering whether GJ is out for a number of weeks, and we've called our new fwends at Citeh and asked them if they've got any left-footed centre halves anywhere out on loan, who might not be playing as much as they'd like, who might want to come and keep Trafford company......
Last edited by dave the minion on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:13 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:10 pm
I could/probably am wrong, but I'm wondering whether GJ is out for a number of weeks, and we've called our new fwends at Citeh and asked them if they've got any left-footed centre halves anywhere out on loan, who might not be playing as much as they'd like, who might want to come and keep Trafford company......
Entirely possible. I think we were very much looking at the other side earlier, but would make sense to try and cover Johnson (as Insane said earlier) if he's crocked. Having a left-footer on that side is really important for passing angles.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:13 pm

On paper he ticks the boxes. Left footed, has pace.

Huddersfield fans don’t have a good word to say about him though.

So guess we shall see.

I doubt we’d have got significantly better. The fact he’s left footed is a worry given it might suggest Johnston is out a while….