Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:51 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:42 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:23 pm
Cameron Norman has left Newport.
And....
And Bodvarsson is staying, by the looks of it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:02 pm

Woo...and dare I say it, Hoo.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:23 pm
Cameron Norman has left Newport.
Would he be a good BWFC signing & would he help propel us into the top 2

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:02 pm
Woo...and dare I say it, Hoo.
Wonderful news this. Our best striker in my opinion if he stays fit.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:23 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:03 pm
Would he be a good BWFC signing & would he help propel us into the top 2
I think he's be a superb pick-up, yes.

Would offer us tactical options on the right similar to those offered by Iredale, but he's better when attacking a fullback one-on-one.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:31 pm

Lovely to see Bodvarsson continuing for next season. Would've been a shame for that injury to curtail his contribution to the cause.

I do wonder if this was signed a week ago and we're getting drip fed transfer news for the media cycle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:34 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:31 pm
Lovely to see Bodvarsson continuing for next season. Would've been a shame for that injury to curtail his contribution to the cause.

I do wonder if this was signed a week ago and we're getting drip fed transfer news for the media cycle.
Probably. Although things will also be a bit delayed by holidays and Johnston's wedding.

Iles was sure it was getting done. For what it's worth, he also thinks Nlundulu will be back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:01 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:34 pm
Mar wrote:

Probably. Although things will also be a bit delayed by holidays and Johnston's wedding.

Iles was sure it was getting done. For what it's worth, he also thinks Nlundulu will be back.
Also thinks we will sign another striker on top of that!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:02 pm

Bod is probably tied with Toal for my favourite player now that Traf has gone.

So yay!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:14 pm

Yeah happy with that. An extra year based on appearances this season seems very fair n’all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:01 pm

Mar wrote:

Great news initially as I really like Dadi . My question is (and it is but a question), is the 12month set by the club or the player? His injuries would suggest club,but,??
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:01 pm
My question is (and it is but a question), is the 12month set by the club or the player? His injuries would suggest club,but,??
At his age you imagine the club wants a shorter contract, the player a longer one. Made all the likelier when Iles says "It is understood there is an option to extend the contract by another 12 months, based on appearances."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:48 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
My question is (and it is but a question), is the 12month set by the club or the player? His injuries would suggest club,but,??
At his age you imagine the club wants a shorter contract, the player a longer one. Made all the likelier when Iles says "It is understood there is an option to extend the contract by another 12 months, based on appearances."
Ah, cheers D,S,B, hadn't seen that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
I despise the option to extend the contract tweaks. Allows clubs to pull another Jay Spearing, lets not play him so as to not risk triggering the extension. Perhaps we had the same with MJ earlier last season. Either way I hope it's not going to be an issue as it hampers our decision making during matches.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:01 pm
Also thinks we will sign another striker on top of that!
It makes sense, to be honest. To remain effective we really need to be able to change both strikers around 60 minutes. One injury to 4 options and you can't do that, so having 5 (and an old stager showing the U23s how its done as a crisis option) is sensible.

If we defend the PJT and have a bit of a cup run we could play 60 games, so everyone will get a chance.

Last summer Evatt tried to build his "hybrid" squad, but now we just play 3 at the back and so numbers will skew a bit.

I think that's also why the creative part hasn't worked. We expected to play 4-3-3 in some games and when we nailed down the one system we didn't really have the players to get a cutting edge.

If we can build a squad that's designed to play this system Evatt should be able to get us scoring goals. Hopefully, anyway.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:40 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:09 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
I despise the option to extend the contract tweaks. Allows clubs to pull another Jay Spearing, lets not play him so as to not risk triggering the extension. Perhaps we had the same with MJ earlier last season. Either way I hope it's not going to be an issue as it hampers our decision making during matches.
A contract is a two party document. No gun to anyone's head to sign it, and it cuts both ways. The words used when MJ extended were something akin to Williams has chosen to exercise his option iirc. It didn't read "we're delighted MJs staying another year."

What I would say is, had we been keeping count (and someone will have been), I'm sure we would have been able to put in a less optimal player than MJ (at the risk of worse results) but didn't..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:03 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:40 am
Mar wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
A contract is a two party document. No gun to anyone's head to sign it, and it cuts both ways. The words used when MJ extended were something akin to Williams has chosen to exercise his option iirc. It didn't read "we're delighted MJs staying another year."

What I would say is, had we been keeping count (and someone will have been), I'm sure we would have been able to put in a less optimal player than MJ (at the risk of worse results) but didn't..
Meanwhile, Williams has earned a further year’s contract after his number of appearances this season, which totalled 35 across all competitions, triggered an option within his existing deal to stay

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:39 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:40 am
Mar wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Therein lies the problem with self inflicted selection headaches and I suspect this may have been an issue around February / March with MJ Williams.

MJ seemed to be completely out of contention during gameweek 29-37 and it very much looked like he was out the door. Injuries hit and he became a starter towards the end of the season. Instead I suspect he would've made the bench more often than he did, had we not had the appearance count being in place that could trigger an extension. I don't think its particularly helpful if we're not playing Bodvarsson simply because of the risk of triggering an extension.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:12 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:39 am
Therein lies the problem with self inflicted selection headaches and I suspect this may have been an issue around February / March with MJ Williams.

MJ seemed to be completely out of contention during gameweek 29-37 and it very much looked like he was out the door. Injuries hit and he became a starter towards the end of the season. Instead I suspect he would've made the bench more often than he did, had we not had the appearance count being in place that could trigger an extension. I don't think its particularly helpful if we're not playing Bodvarsson simply because of the risk of triggering an extension.
With respect, Mar, I question the above.

MJ was out with a knee injury from the game on Feb 4th (Cheltenham) until he made his comeback with an entirely unnecessary 8-minute cameo at Wembley. In the month before his injury he'd drifted out of the XI but was brought on for the last 15 minutes of the 3-0 win v Pompey and the last 17 v FGR. He also came on for the last 17 at Exeter. And before that, in January, he'd played the last 12 v Man U kids, last 19 v Exeter, last 23 v Derby; he was also on the bench (unused) at Barnsley, Derby and home to Plymouth. None of that feels like the actions of a manager nervously watching the appearance total tick up.

As for Bod – say we only offer him a year, he wants two. Do you walk away?

There are, as you note, times where clubs opt not to pick players because they're close to triggering clauses. But I don't think it happens very often - as we know, things were going downhill fast when Spearing left. And being picked regularly generally means they're doing something useful for the team - without MJ stepping up, we quite possibly wouldn't have made the playoffs last term.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:05 pm

Charlie Hayes-Green joins the B Team from Liverpool.

This is where those academy ties may really pay off for us. Loans are great, but having people at big clubs advising their cast offs to come and try life with us is the real "pay dirt" area.