Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:32 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:16 pm
I see that Iles had to post a warning on his Deadline Day blog about foul mouthed messages and rants saying that some were actually libellous. He's had to delete a fair few.
What a fine set of fans.

Put the kettle on, Sonic.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:35 pm

Roger
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:18 pm

Divisional incomings thus far:
• Our old left(wing)back Brandon Fleming lent from Hull to Shrewsbury.
• Cambridge sign forward John-Kymani Gordon on loan from Crystal Palace until January.
• Charlton sign former MK Dons defender Tennai Watson on a two-year-deal.
• Exeter sign striker Admiral Muskwe from Luton on season-long-loan.
• Oxford sign Ipswich winger Kyle Edwards on loan for the rest of the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:43 pm

I sure as hell ain't going to wear out the F10 key today....first time I've had a glance, to confirm what I thought might happen. IE could be getting his cocoa by 17:00. :-)

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:32 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
I see that Iles had to post a warning on his Deadline Day blog about foul mouthed messages and rants saying that some were actually libellous. He's had to delete a fair few.
What a fine set of fans.
Do we have bigger kn*b-head fans than most teams, or all they all the same do you think?
I don't see other clubs having to send out messages from the Chairman about the behaviour of some?
Is there something in the water in Bolton?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:51 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:46 pm
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:32 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
What a fine set of fans.
Do we have bigger kn*b-head fans than most teams, or all they all the same do you think?
I don't see other clubs having to send out messages from the Chairman about the behaviour of some?
Is there something in the water in Bolton?
I think everyone has their proportion. Ours do seem fond of a bit of d*ck-measuring on social media, and are very vocal when things don't go the exact way they think it should. We've seen bits of the latter on here.

I'm inclined to think it's becoming a little more prevalent nationwide though. We've all seen the stories on hooliganism. Having said that, it's nowhere near as bad as it was in the 70s and 80s... yet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:57 pm

Hooliganism is much less of a problem than it was.

Vitriolic gobshittery is much more of a problem. Folk type things that they would very rarely say face-to-face, unless perhaps they were on the outside of ten pints.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:13 pm

Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:57 pm
Hooliganism is much less of a problem than it was.

Vitriolic gobshittery is much more of a problem. Folk type things that they would very rarely say face-to-face, unless perhaps they were on the outside of ten pints.
This is so very true...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:19 pm

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Booo is that it?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm
Booo is that it?!
Dunno, but Rob seems to have changed his appearance!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:34 pm

I'm definitely sensing a "Go with what we've got!" now. Hope I'm wrong, but.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:34 pm
I'm definitely sensing a "Go with what we've got!" now. Hope I'm wrong, but.....
Evatt doesn’t want to add to the squad. He’s happy with it. It’s his call.

It’s not like we are even chasing players.

I’m concerned on the judgement but it isn’t like old times where managers were desperate but we couldn’t afford anyone.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Evatt exclusively plays a wing back system, but we only have two wing backs in the squad (excluding the outcasts). This strikes me as not being ideal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:41 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:34 pm
Evatt doesn’t want to add to the squad. He’s happy with it. It’s his call.

It’s not like we are even chasing players.

I’m concerned on the judgement but it isn’t like old times where managers were desperate but we couldn’t afford anyone.
I think it's a bit more nuanced. :-) I'm sure we have targets we'd like to add to the squad on Evatts terms, at a time he thinks he can afford them.

I don't think, even if he's sat on cash to spend, he'll just do so for players he doesn't think will fit financially or playing-wise. He's said why he didn't think JCH was right for us.

Based on what's been posted on here, I think many are in a similar place that it doesn't feel "top 2" and with a couple of injuries might look really quite thin. Going to be delighted when someone rolls out "can't blame Evatt with all these injuries."

He's rolled his dice until Jan. I doubt he'll be getting a great vote of confidence if we were loitering 8th/9th and/or a way off the pace. Don't think there's as much leeway for him as last year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:47 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:25 pm
Evatt exclusively plays a wing back system, but we only have two wing backs in the squad (excluding the outcasts). This strikes me as not being ideal.
I agree with the sentinment but not necessarily the number. Even if we defenstrate Sadlier and John we still have Gethin, Ashworth and Iredale who *can* play there. They're not the threat I would like, but they *can* play there.

I would like a more direct (dribbly/pace) threat for the low-block opponents. Because if Randell/JDC are injured, I don't fancy us breaking many down with those three options out wide.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:06 pm

I suspect the vast majority of the acknowledge of poor behaviour from our fans is down to the club and media pointing it out. We're probably not dissimilar from a lot of other teams but at least we're acknowledging it in order to do something about it. Just look at the aftermath of the Morecambe game and alleged racism. They weren't quick to denounce racism and very much just let it slide, our approach would've been markedly different.

With regards to transfer signings. My money is on us bringing in another goalkeeper. Hutchinson may be a semi decent understudy, but we've got plenty to do with regards to his progression. In reality there's no reason we can't be looking to bring in a loan keeper from a nearby Premiership side. Heck, Crellin is on Everton's books so you'd imagine they'd be looking for loaning him out. Not like i'm advocating that, but if he's a standard of the quality in reserve at the Premiership clubs, we'd be able to bring in someone on loan that was at least as good as our most recent covering goalkeeper.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:12 pm

Acknowledging you're not advocating it, I doubt the return of Mr Crellin would be met with universal acclaim...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:12 pm
Acknowledging you're not advocating it, I doubt the return of Mr Crellin would be met with universal acclaim...
It'd probably set fans seething as its a sign of clear lack of progression.

I was however thinking of a goalkeeper loan signing as one of those that we bring in to just cover the injury and nothing else (not Crellin). Can't imagine we'd manage to get anyone better than Baxter, and even if we did, it wouldn't be financially in our interests to promote the loanee over Baxter either. We should be progressing the players we have rather than the loans of others.

That being said. We're in clear need of cover for RB. Bradley swapping with JDC would be really decent.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:31 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:15 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:12 pm
It'd probably set fans seething as its a sign of clear lack of progression.

I was however thinking of a goalkeeper loan signing as one of those that we bring in to just cover the injury and nothing else (not Crellin). Can't imagine we'd manage to get anyone better than Baxter, and even if we did, it wouldn't be financially in our interests to promote the loanee over Baxter either. We should be progressing the players we have rather than the loans of others.

That being said. We're in clear need of cover for RB. Bradley swapping with JDC would be really decent.
Bradley is out until November at least.