Ooh, ooh, look at me look at me

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Ooh, ooh, look at me look at me

Post by blurred » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:56 pm

OK, Now I've got your attention I just thought I'd say that today I took part in a sponsored bike-ride from Manchester to Liverpool, and for being a generally unfit bastard I have to say that I was chuffed to finish the 42 miles in 3 hours 30 minutes and raise some dosh for my chosen cause. Never done anything like this before, and only really got conned into it by my somewhat mad friend, but I am so so glad I did do it. Rather than being the ordeal I thought it would be it was actually such a good laugh and getting to chat to all the people along the way and seeing some nice countryside.

Not only do I feel good for having done my bit to raise some dosh, but I also actually feel surprisingly good for the whole exercise bit of it that I was actually dreading.

Anyway, there's no real point to this, but, erm, yeah, get out there and do some exercise and raise some dosh. You never knwo what you're capable of! :)

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:02 pm

You'll suffer for it tomorrow.

Be sure to post and tell us how bad you're feeling.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:03 pm

I fully expect to. Can feel the old joints seizing up a bit as we speak to be honest, fully expect to have stiff/sore muscles tomorrow, but it's well worth it :D

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Re: Ooh, ooh, look at me look at me

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:05 pm

blurred wrote:OK, Now I've got your attention I just thought I'd say that today I took part in a sponsored bike-ride from Manchester to Liverpool, and for being a generally unfit bastard I have to say that I was chuffed to finish the 42 miles in 3 hours 30 minutes and raise some dosh for my chosen cause. Never done anything like this before, and only really got conned into it by my somewhat mad friend, but I am so so glad I did do it. Rather than being the ordeal I thought it would be it was actually such a good laugh and getting to chat to all the people along the way and seeing some nice countryside.

Not only do I feel good for having done my bit to raise some dosh, but I also actually feel surprisingly good for the whole exercise bit of it that I was actually dreading.

Anyway, there's no real point to this, but, erm, yeah, get out there and do some exercise and raise some dosh. You never knwo what you're capable of! :)
Well done Blurred :D

Always good to here of anyone who is prepared to test themselves, nice going. As for your cause! I hope you made some good money to stop the 'Real Liverpool' campain :wink:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Just for info I, and about half a dozen or so others, were riding for the HJC - Hillsborough Justice Campaign, which is naturally something that's close to all our hearts. They do good work, and we reckon we've managed to get between £700 and £1000 for them today which is fantastic.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:35 pm

blurred wrote:Just for info I, and about half a dozen or so others, were riding for the HJC - Hillsborough Justice Campaign, which is naturally something that's close to all our hearts. They do good work, and we reckon we've managed to get between £700 and £1000 for them today which is fantastic.
Dogs bxllocks!!

I worthy cause Blurred.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:52 pm

nice one blurred, wish i could do something like that, i havent even built myself up to Race for Life yet, which is only a 5k run :oops:
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Gnome wrote:nice one blurred, wish i could do something like that, i havent even built myself up to Race for Life yet, which is only a 5k run :oops:
Well done, Blurred. Nice one.

But just touch on what Gnome mentioned, Mrs B took part in the Race for Life at Pennington Flash, Leigh today. It was her third (first one this year) and, with absolutely zilch training (other than chasing a 14-month around) she managed to knock off 12 minutes and finished in 34 minutes.

Cracking stuff and I doth my cap to her.
Smarties have answers.....

Gnome
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gnome » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:52 pm

well done mrs bench too in that case

I was just being a wimp and wanted someone to do it with me :roll: i will do it next yr, with or without help!
Nay-Nay: so good they named me twice

"oh Nicky Hunt, should play up front, oh Nicky Hunt should play up front"

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:50 pm

Well done, blurred and Smackey! I wish I was that fit. :(

Pennington Flash, eh, Bench. That brings back memories. My great uncle used to have a farm there (Davenport) which I believe has now been demolished and replaced with some form of parkland. As a side line he used to breed maggots for the local fishermen and dyed them different colours. 2/- a handful; no wonder they got a bit upset when we children served them! :)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:07 am

Indeed, one of my mates from work was doing the race for life today, so I hope she did alright. If you'd've told me that I'd be able to cycle 40 odd miles about a month or two ago then I'd've laughed at you, but with a few weeks practice, and a good mate to go along with, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.

I'll pay for it tomorrow I'm sure, but I've just had a nice evening up the pub, which I reckon I deserved after all that :wink2:

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:24 am

Well done Blurred!!!!

A few years ago I did the Manchester - Blackpool bike ride for the Guide Dogs for the Blind (how did they ride the bikes??)

It was about 1000000 degrees, but I loved every second (once I finished). I keep saying that I will do it again, but then I keep forgetting to get my entry form in on time...!!!

Hope that you're still OK today.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:04 am

I have a problem with the Race for Life lot. Apparently men are forbidden to enter the race, as it is fjust for the girls, I found this a bit odd, after all, I'm sure most of us know someone whose Mum, Nan, Sister etc have had cancer at some point, do they not think that men might have an interest in running and raising money??

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:32 am

Batman, you're forgetting that it's ok to discriminate against men
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:46 am

Batman,

It's a good point and I know a few fellas who feel as strongly as you.

However, the only argument I can have for it is... A lot of women run in these events who wouldn't ever run a race ever in their lives and some women can feel intimidated by men, as many will run slower. Believing that men would be too competititve, I don't know maybe they feel too much testosterone??

A good friend of mine from netball had breast cancer and she has been given the all clear after quite intensive treatment. She ran (jogged/walked) a race with her mum and her gran who is in her 70s. Her Gran wouldn't necessairly took part if blokes had been there, as there is a kind of for women by women atmosphere.

My friend's husband got involved by stewarding at the race.

Cancer research do lots of charity runs for boys and girls from their website. I guess that for this one thing the women just want to be able to do without embarrasement or worry (in their minds).

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:53 am

Muscles are a bit sore and achey today, but nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. That Manchester/Blackpool one looks fun, Gertie - it's about 10 miles more than the Liverpool one and is coming up at some point in July. Could dig out the details if you need a reminder? :D Had considered putting myself in for that one as well, but could probably do with a break to be honest! :)

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:53 am

bet they don't do one just for men though do they? A men only race for testicular cancer perhaps?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:55 am

Course not Commie, that would be discriminatory against women.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:30 am

communistworkethic wrote:bet they don't do one just for men though do they? A men only race for testicular cancer perhaps?
You'd get a severe beating from the psycho-feminists if you did that. Or maybe that's something you'd enjoy? :wink:

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:40 am

blurred wrote:Muscles are a bit sore and achey today, but nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. That Manchester/Blackpool one looks fun, Gertie - it's about 10 miles more than the Liverpool one and is coming up at some point in July. Could dig out the details if you need a reminder? :D Had considered putting myself in for that one as well, but could probably do with a break to be honest! :)
Um thanks for that Blurred.. I think I am out of the country on that day, when is it??

I've since sold my road bike, and the bike I have now is for off-road and is about 10 pounds heavier than my roadbike so don't think that I'd be able to drag that around Blackpool....

Other than the fact that I'm a couple of half pounds heavier too means that I'd never get past Preston without 2 years prior notice...

Let me know if you go for it though!!! I'll definitely do it next year...